Octopus Agile

Options
moneyman21
moneyman21 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 21 March 2023 at 10:46AM in Energy
Is Octopus Agile worth changing to if all you can change to cheap hours is dishwasher and washing machine

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,972 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your question would be better posted on the Energy board, this board is for debt related issues.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 1,018 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Moved to Energy
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you can avoid using much electricity between 4-7pm every day then it could work for you. Are you happy to always check the app to work out when it's cheapest to run your appliances and that often means overnight, or would that soon become an inconvenience? 

Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Is Octopus Agile worth changing to if all you can change to cheap hours is dishwasher and washing machine
    Agile is a bit like sharedealing. Prices rise and fall depending on demand and the political climate. As we are coming out of Winter, the fall in wholesale costs is now showing up in Agile pricing.

That said, Agile is still a beta tariff which is the cause of some consumer frustrations. Billing is NOT done on index readings it uses smart meter 30 usage data. The loss of just one 30 minute data segment will result in a billing failure. Octopus can attempt a manual data recovery. If this fails then they will bill you for the missing day at the Flexible tariff rate.

In the event of a major political event resulting in a large wholesale price increase, you may end up paying the capped price of £1 per kW.

FWiW, I was on Agile for two years when prices were falling (during Covid) and saved a fortune in electricity costs.

• Inigo_Montoya
    Inigo_Montoya Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 April 2023 at 10:29AM
    Options
    I moved to Agile last month due to the 6 month wait for tracker - Agile works for me due to my usage pattern & at the moment its cheaper than the capped SVR anyway whatever your usage pattern

It is a risk though as prices could spike well above the cap even with the EPG discount (which ends July 1st) so you really have to be checking the prices daily IMO & be ready to possibly move back to the SVR at very short notice 

Also I have just noticed that the standing charge has NOT increased today (mine is still about 41p per day) which I assume is another small benefit as my understanding is that the standing charges on many(all?) SVRs increased today 
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I moved to Agile last month due to the 6 month wait for tracker - Agile works for me due to my usage pattern & at the moment its cheaper than the capped SVR anyway whatever your usage pattern

It is a risk though as prices could spike well above the cap even with the EPG discount (which ends July 1st) so you really have to be checking the prices daily IMO & be ready to possibly move back to the SVR at very short notice 

Also I have just noticed that the standing charge has NOT increased today (mine is still about 41p per day) which I assume is another small benefit as my understanding is that the standing charges on many(all?) SVRs increased today 
    I think i'm going to switch from the standard tariff to this, going to give them a call on Monday - can i ask what the notice period is if prices were to spike if I were to ask to be put back on the standard rate? I've only been with Octopus for a couple of months but really impressed with them so far.

MTIA
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    linz said:

I think i'm going to switch from the standard tariff to this, going to give them a call on Monday - can i ask what the notice period is if prices were to spike if I were to ask to be put back on the standard rate? I've only been with Octopus for a couple of months but really impressed with them so far.

MTIA
    There is no notice period. 
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    linz said:

MTIA
    Thankyou 👍
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    linz said:
    linz said:

MTIA
    Thankyou 👍
    No - problem.

There is one caveat in the terms and conditions:

1. You can switch away from our Agile Octopus tariff to one of our standard tariffs any time without financial penalty, but you can’t move back to one of our smart tariffs within 30 days.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    linz said:

MTIA
    I think you have to sign up online 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport