Debt Reset....

Options
I'm sorry for stopping my other diary so suddenly. We applied for PIP for my son (the House Troll) and i expected to have a fight on my hands. The speed with which the DWP said "Yes, ok, here's your money" really threw me. They had a couple of phone chats with him to confirm a few things on the form that we filled in and that was that. It upset me - really upset me. I thought I'd be relieved and I am, but I was really emotional because it made it real that this condition that he has inherited from me will affect his life for ever. I've had a few quiet months staying out of everyone's way while I've come to terms with it. 

We've had a couple of months off from over paying things, mainly because there were some things that we needed for the house. The HT finally agreed that he needed a new bed (how much?!!!!!). The lady in the bed shop suggested a wooden ottoman frame which will stop the cat from wrecking the base like she did with the old one. The tumble dryer died and has been replaced. I've bought some other bits like chair covers for the dining room chairs to cover up the cat teeth marks (there's a theme going on here somewhere) and the final thing was a new panini press which I collected this morning. The HT has a toastie for lunch on the days that he is home and the last one was 8 years old and starting to fall apart. I have a plumber coming on Friday to install a new lever type stop !!!!!! as nobody in this house has hands strong enough to turn the current one off and then we're done hopefully. None of this has added to the debt but the emergency savings account is looking a bit sick. 

I'm still working with my Looked After Person but his parents are arrangiing residential care for him. I still have a job for a couple of months yet but with this in mind I've refinanced my loan at a lower rate as I can pay that without working - I'm still waiting to see the consultant about a knee replacement but I'm on the waiting list apparently. The HT is still at college so the rest of my income (widowed parents allowance etc) should stay the same for now. The over buying food habit is still running strong especially after the emotional upset of the PIP award. Nothing else will fit in the freezer but luckily Christmas dinner is in there already. I'd like to cut down the grocery bill but I'm not sure if I can be trusted in Aldi or Lidl. I probably could be if I just didn't look at the junk in the middle aisles at all. 

I receive WPA every two weeks which means 13 payments a year. The extra payment is due in December this year and I usually use it for Christmas stuff but everything is bought and paid for already so I've given the HT's partner £200 for Christmas shopping. They are currently back in college pre-apprenticeship and skint. Partner is very good, never moans about helping the HT, is the first to the door to help me carry shopping in etc and stayed with the HT while I was in hospital earlier this year. This is my way of letting them know that I appreciate them. I could have paid the money off my debt but giving it away represents the spirit of Christmas better? 

Debt at LBM (end of December 2020) £9177.32
Debt at end of November 2021            £5619.06

Onwards and may the debt go downwards 😁

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So I know what you mean - its good news, but also forces you to face that you and yours are in that group where you have passed the HMG tests.  I felt like that when I got my free prescription exemption - I thought OMG it must be serious

Good luck with the debts and I'll tag along for the ride - I love a shiny new diary - mines a bit old and tatty (just like me)
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lovely to see you back.  I can understand that it's been a strange time for you but you've done brilliantly not to add to your debt and your year on year debt reduction is great.
    looking forward to hearing about the family and the antics of the cat.  
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,768 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks @mark55man, I'm a bit old and tatty myself. The HT is only 17 - I was a late starter. I should probably have claimed for him way before I did but we were coping so we let it drift. He needs to start becoming more independant so hopefully this will help. 

• peb
    peb Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good to "see" you.  I was a little worried.  I see what you mean, and you are in a new phase of your life.  

HT's partner seems a good un and it's nice to be in a position to show your gratitude.  And, as you say, you have to ease HT into independence.

Look forward to you continuing to post.
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    Thank you @peb
  • rugbymadfamily
    Options
    Good to see you back and am also along for the ride. Sounds like you've done brilliantly not to add to the debt with all that going on.

I'm also a cat person, we have 2....thankfully they dont really scratch or bite anything, but they are a seriously hairy breed so have ruined a number of soft furnishings, oh and 2 sets of blinds and some carpet by pushing drinks onto the floor....so actually I take it back, they are actually badly behaved too 😂
    Current mortgage (1 Jun 2022): £289,501 - originally £351,999 got to love London sized mortgages!
    OP Goal 2022 = 3.75% in OPs: £6,975 / £13,200
    Emergency Fund Target: 3 months saved ✅

• CRANKY40
    Options
    Thanks @rugbymadfamily. We used to have two cats but the younger one died suddenly of kidney failure. She was the worst - she once chewed a hole in the wooden blinds so that she could watch the next door neighbour in her kitchen from the top of the cupboard in our kitchen. She used to bring other cats toys home too. 
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    So....I've cancelled the plumber as he messaged me saying he couldn't work today. He was supposed to be replacing the stopcock tomorrow. Not exactly confidence inspiring so I've messaged someone else asking for a quote. 

I'm off out in a minute for coffee and a teacake with a friend and it's my turn to pay as my friend paid last time. Tomorrow I have the dentist, supposedly for a check up but I already know that I'll need a filling as I've lost part of one. At least we're able to see dentists again so looking on the bright side. The HT's partner is coming over this weekend so I usually buy them some fresh fruit for breakfast so that's another couple of pounds to spend. I can do that today though on the way back from seeing my friend. I will not buy anything else while I am in the shop! I'm aiming not to spend anything else other than what I've already written down here. 

Hope you all have a good day 😊
  • CRANKY40
    Options
    Friend wouldn't let me pay for coffee again which was very kind of her. I went straight to the fruit section in the shop over the road from the cafe, spent £4 on HTP's tubs of fruit (they have dyspraxia so I bought ready chopped pineapple and melon - it's safer), and came home without buying anything else.

I seem to be starting with the cold that my Looked after Person had on Saturday ( and Monday, Tuesday etc) so I've cancelled the dentist and rebooked for January which was the earliest appointment available. 

Dinner for two tonight. The HT had sausage pasta bake from the freezer (made by me) and I had pork chop, chips and veg also liberated from the freezer. No other spending to report 😊
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback