Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    sadiedoll
    The chinese supermarket and why I love it so...
    • 13th Apr 08, 6:43 PM
    The chinese supermarket and why I love it so... 13th Apr 08 at 6:43 PM
    Splashed the cash earlier and bought myself a new Ken Hom wok, so thought I'd swing by the Chinese supermarket and grab some provisions for a cheeky wee stir fry.

Is is quite shocking when you compare the price of basics (e.g. good quality rice) in there to even the cheapest supermarket brands...it is SO cheap. 10kg bags of rice for half the price I saw in Lidl the other day...big box of green tea 65p.....giant bunches of coriander 50p. I got half a litre of Oyster sauce for £1.80 and some gorgeous pak choi for £2 (massive bag).

Anyhoo, I though I'd share with you a version of a Rick Stein dish that I knocked up for my lunch in the old Ken Hom - it was really tasty and dead cheap.

Pak Choi in Oyster Sauce w/ rice (serves 1)

Ingredients:
    Rice
    Pak Choi (2 heads, washed and roughly chopped)
    Chopped spring onions (4/5)
    Chopped clove of garlic
    Chopped fresh ginger
    Sunflower oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce

Put rice on to boil

Oil into wok, when hot add garlic and ginger, fry for 1-2 mins
    Add spring onions, fry 1-2 mins
    add Pak choi, cook until green leaves wilted and white parts begin to soften (2-3 mins)
    splash in some soy and a decent glug of oyster sauce

Serve with rice.

Was delish and I reckon less £1 in total

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 15-04-2008 at 5:33 PM.
Page 1
  • weezl74
    • 13th Apr 08, 6:50 PM
    • 13th Apr 08, 6:50 PM
    Hi sadiedoll, if you don't mind me asking, how much were the 10kg rice and the oyster sauce?

Ta,

Weezl x

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for 40
  • sadiedoll
    • 13th Apr 08, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Apr 08, 6:57 PM
    There were loads of different types, Weezl, but all between 5 and 7.
    There was a 10kg bag in Lidl the other day for 11. I've loads of long grain rice in so just bought 1kg of Jasmine rice for 1.

I bought Amoy oyster sauce as I like it - 1.80 for 500ml. There were others slightly cheaper.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 13th Apr 08, 7:11 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 13th Apr 08, 7:11 PM
    • 13th Apr 08, 7:11 PM
    Really useful post Sadiedoll, thanks.

I wish I had a Chinese supermarket nearer to me than B'ham.
  • sadiedoll
    • 13th Apr 08, 7:22 PM
    • 13th Apr 08, 7:22 PM
    That's a pain, thriftlady......I wonder if there is an online retailer?

I'm lucky to live in Edinburgh for all kinds of reasons, the superb shops are just a bonus. The chinese supermarket I frequent has a competitor directly opposite, so they keep their prices in check. Its always really busy so I take that as a good sign. In fact, the proprietor of my nearest chinese takeway was right in front of me in the queue.
  • mineallmine
    • 13th Apr 08, 7:37 PM
    • 13th Apr 08, 7:37 PM
    Also found these to be competitive at shops like these:
    - coconut milk
    - sweet chilli sauce (1 litre size)
    - bag of onions (netted bags)
    - spices

On the rice front, perhaps you could buy a bag and share/split cost with family/friends and decant into containers? You could do that with spices too.
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
    • emma396
    • By emma396 15th Apr 08, 11:25 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    emma396
    • 15th Apr 08, 11:25 PM
    • 15th Apr 08, 11:25 PM
    yes chinese supermarket prices r ok, but even better, go to the cash and carry if you have one near you. my dad owns a chinese restaurant, he gets most of his chinese foods from the cash and carry nowadays becuase it's cheaper than the chinese supermarkets. most people dont't realise that you can go into the cash and carry (ask for a day pass), and they do sell small amounts of some things.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 15th Apr 08, 11:53 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 48,782 Thanks
    meanmarie
    • 15th Apr 08, 11:53 PM
    • 15th Apr 08, 11:53 PM
    Sadiedoll...if you use sesame oil...also very cheap in Chinese supermarket, you will get a slightly different flavour to your bok choy...just for a change

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • sadiedoll
    • 16th Apr 08, 12:36 AM
    • 16th Apr 08, 12:36 AM
    How spooky! I made it with sesame oil tonight!!! and it was delish. Great minds think alike.
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Excellent post, I wholeheartedly agree. The so called Big Four supermarkets love to tell us how cheap they are, but the truth is they are incredibly expensive if you take the time to look around. And to add insult to injury, they fresh produce (IMHO) is awful... green bananas and other unripe fruit, tasteless tomatoes, skanky meat, half arsed fish counter...

Its a shame because there are great deals to be had in alternative markets. During the planning of the Lidl that opened near to where I live, I read comments from people suggesting that Lidl products where somehow inferror and that only the nearby Sainsburys sold *quality* produce... Its that mentality that keeps the big four going, because if people knew the truth, they'd be a revolution. Its also a pity that alternative supermarkets like Lidl and chinese/asian supermarkets aren't available to everyone.

Anyway rant over.... sorry about that.

What I meant to say was that another good one in chinese supermarkets for those of you that like to make up batch food and freeze are plastic and tin trays. I bought about about 30 tin trays for the price of 6 at my local Tesco last time I went... Wheres the value in that Mr Tesco you money grabbing so and so (sorry blood still boiling)?
    Last edited by HappyIdiotTalk; 16-04-2008 at 9:22 AM. Reason: Grammar corrections and some wording
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
    • laurajayne
    • By laurajayne 16th Apr 08, 9:37 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    laurajayne
    Chinese Supermarkets rock

Me and my family go to our local one about every 3 months (Wing Yip in Croydon). The prices there are just amazing, compared to the big 4.

We buy a huge box of chicken breast (10kg I think) for 23! It's frozen, and it's a bit of a pain to hack off some when you need some, but the price difference makes it sooo worth it. Ok, it proably isn't 'happy' chicken, I'll conceed that point, but the price is too good to miss.

We don't tend to buy rice or veg while we are there (other than picking up a couple of peppers etc), but we buy catering size packs of chinese curry paste (little sister's favourite), thai curry paste, coconut powder, chilli sauce, tomato sause, and of course, white vinegar lol. We eat a lot of 'eastern' foods, so it makes sence to do it like this. Does mean it's a bit of a liabilty when you open our cupboards for the first few weeks
    Proud DFW Nerd 135
    • claireabelle
    • By claireabelle 16th Apr 08, 9:42 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 2,244 Thanks
    claireabelle
    Thanks for these tips guys, will go and check out the peckham one at lunchtime!
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 16th Apr 08, 9:42 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    I'm lucky to live in Edinburgh for all kinds of reasons, the superb shops are just a bonus.
    Originally posted by sadiedoll
    What chinese supermarket do you use?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • floyd
    Our Chinese supermarket is fabulous, was a intrigued by all the unusual things in the freezers until one day I spotted pigs uterus put me right off
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 16th Apr 08, 9:59 AM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 20,760 Thanks
    purpleivy
    That's always the problem! When I'm in Vancouver with my aunt, we go for a chinese meal...stuff isn't always recognisable... same with the shops in china town!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
  • martinrdg1
    In Reading there is a good one at 15, Craddock Road RG2 OJT called SeeWoo. We had frozen peking duck the other day 3.25 for half a duck and it tasted great and about a qurter of the price of that charged by local takeaway. The pastry that goes with the peking duck was 2.80 for 100 plus.
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 16th Apr 08, 10:50 AM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    Really useful post Sadiedoll, thanks.

I wish I had a Chinese supermarket nearer to me than B'ham.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Me too - I never go up to Birmingham but Worcester would be ideal!
    • Chuzzle
    • By Chuzzle 16th Apr 08, 10:52 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 1,762 Thanks
    Chuzzle
    Hi

I'm in Diss, Norfolk. Would anyone happen to know where my nearest Chinese/Asian supermarket might be? We did have one in Diss a couple of years ago but sadly it had to close due to lack of customers - I think I was probably their only customer apart from the takeaways!!

I do visit Makro ocasionally but never seem to think about getting rice etc from there, will have to do a price check next time I'm getting stuff for work.

We have a Tesco, Morrisons and Somerfield all in view of each other in Diss and I do tend to play them off against one another depending on what is on offer and where.
  • Ytaya
    Hi

I'm in Diss, Norfolk. Would anyone happen to know where my nearest Chinese/Asian supermarket might be? We did have one in Diss a couple of years ago but sadly it had to close due to lack of customers - I think I was probably their only customer apart from the takeaways!!
    Originally posted by Ruthibe73
    There are a few in Norwich now. The two I know are definitely still there and have been for a while are the one on Ber St (don't know the name, it's just down from John Lewis if you walk away from the city centre) and Miah's on Magdalen St (on your left as you walk away from the city centre, past Oxfam, yellow store front, mostly Indian but has a lot of general 'ethnic' foodstuffs). There are others, but I can't remember where.
    • Happy shopper
    • By Happy shopper 16th Apr 08, 11:39 AM
    • 6,435 Posts
    • 15,150 Thanks
    Happy shopper
    I like to buy the tofu - much cheaper than in the health food shops. If you're lucky, you'll get it in a re-useable plasic box (extra old-stylee points). The prawn crackers - the pre-fried type that come in a cardboard box and look like small plastic discs - are also really cheap. The Chinese takeaways must make a big profit on them. (They're a bit scary to make though... )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,776Posts Today

7,226Users online

Martin's Twitter