PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The chinese supermarket and why I love it so...

Options

Comments

• mattandru
    Options
    Wing Yip supermarket which a number of people have mentioned deliver - there is a charge depending on where you live but the more you spend the delivery charge goes down - so if you don't have a chinese supermarket near you try them. If you don't want too much then club together with a few frends and bulk buy and split the cost. It is definitely worth it. A large bag of rice keeps for along time and as others have said, oil, soya sauce etc are all alot cheaper. We always use Wing Yip but then having a chinese husband we eat alot of chinese food!!

For those interetsed the Wing Yip online store web address is

http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk

Happy shopping and happy cooking!

Mattandru
  • Phyre_Faerie
    Options
    Can I just recommend Kecap Manis sauce.
    It's a sweet sticky soy sauce quite thick and gloopy. It is amazing if you roast up chicken drummers and brush it on 5 mins from the end. My last bottle was 98p from our local chinese shop in chelmsford. It's under the arches near the railway station.
    I spent about 15 quid and came out with 3 carrier bag fulls.
    Jasmine tea! :D
    :j
    :heart2:Got Married 1st may '10!:heart2:
    Our Money Saving wedding was the best day of our lives!!
    :love::love::love::love:
  • Wanoah
    Wanoah Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    chun wrote: »
    Wanoah and Fallenangel152, there is another smaller supermarket, just off Derby rd.
    It is the side road with an antique shop on the corner. Just walk up the side road.I think it closes before 6pm.

The big one near Broadmarsh sold me sell by date fishballs once and only gave me an exchange when I took it back.I was rather annoyed as I had to take a bus down especially and my meal was ruined.No apology either.That was in 1990's.Never ever shopped there since.

Shame you had a bad experience there. (Yeah it was the big one near the Broadmarsh that I was thinking of).

I'm trying to think of where you mean just off Derby Rd. My mind's gone blank, though!
  • Casperthefriendlyghost
    Options
    QQuaver wrote: »
    Wasn't that supposed to be demolished in the near future?

Hi QQuaver

They've been saying for 3 years now that it is being demolished, but at present it's still going strong and still no word about when and if it will be demolished. Am still going there every weekend, and was there last weekend and was told that there was no news yet about it all.

CHeers
    Casper
    x x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • bradhadair
    Options
    http://www.waiyeehong.com/

for anyone like me who lives in the south of the country this one is based in bristol (by IKEA if you know the area) junction 2 on the M32head towards tesco then at the tesco roundabout take the 2nd (i think) exit and wai yaa hong is just up the road on the right (if you drove into tesco you took the wrong exit).

whats better than a chinese supermarket??? A CASH AND CARRY CHINESE SUPERMARKET HEHEHE. The rice there is a little more expensive than prices i've seen quoted on here however unless it proper thai jasmine rice by the 10kg bags (which is the nicest form of rice in the world - ask any chef, plus its the sort of rice that sells on the black market in thailand as its mainly for export). And who splashed out silly money on a Ken Hom Wok (sadiedoll tut tut the not MS is it lol) when you can buy a PROPER steel one from you chinese for less than a tenner? mines a 18inch diameter steel for £9.80 - BARGIN!!!! Ok so you have to season them: put some oil in (any cheap oil is fine), wack the heat up until the oil starts smoking (best to have the window open lol) and use some kitchen towel to wipe the oil around the wok. Ideally you want the whole wok black. this gives your wok its very own non-stick coating - DO NOT WASH WITH WASHING UP LIQUID!!!!!!! - just rinse in warm water, dry immediately (being steel it will rust if left wet) and hey-presto.

Check out the steel cleavers as well, not so cheap but will last you (literally) a life-time. Bamboo steamers, nice oriental-style crockery etc.

sorry if i seem to get a bit patronising here but some people really dont know that steel rusts and that you shouldnt wash non-stick items in soap lol :confused::o
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    Depending on how far you are from Greenwich there is a great Chinese supermarket in the Greenwich Peninsula, See Woo, here is the link to the location and map:

http://www.seewoo.com/x/greenwich.html

Caterina

Ahh, brilliant :) That's really close to me so I'll persuade OH that we need to go :) It's a real pain to get to the Purley Way, so to know there's one in Greenwich is great. Thanks for that!
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know of any supermarkets in the North-East? I only know the one in Stowell Street, I get big bags of spices & bottles of sauces quite cheaply from them but wasn't really impressed by anything else.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Afraid I don't know of anywhere near you, anguk. I grew up in Durham, and I think you'll agree that it's hardly the most ethnically mixed or adventurous of consumer markets. There are retailers elsewhere which allow online orders, however :)
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Bongedone wrote: »
    Though not much closer there is one in Brixton and in Camberwell. I have been to both and also the Wing Yip in Croydon. The Wing Yip has a much bigger selection.
    Don't know the Brixton one but I assume the Camberwell one you're thinking of is Wing Tai. There's another Wing Tai in Peckham, next door to the Morrisons car park. However, both are relatively small, not "superstores" like See Woo in Greenwich which Caterina recommended. And there are loads of even smaller Chinese supermarkets scattered throughout the Camberwell/Peckham/Brixton area (the one I use most frequently being the one tucked in next to Asda on the Old Kent Road) however I wouldn't think any of them worth making a trip any great distance for.

I have always kept my eye open for cheap white vinegar and never managed to find any :confused: I remember finding big bottles of the stuff in Wing Tai in Peckham, but it was selling for about the same price by volume as I would have paid in Morrison's. Anybody know anywhere in the general vicinity for this specifically? (Somebody on this board once recommended a shop in Penge, in the dim and distant past, though that wasn't a Chinese supermarket. Edited to say: I think it was Penge Food Centre)
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • mother_noah
    mother_noah Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady there is a small chinese store in worcester by debenhams .have been in there a few times ,lots of different rice and noodles.and packs of unidentifiable things for soup. not as good as the ones in brum ,they are amazing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure