PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The chinese supermarket and why I love it so...

Comments

• Thanks for these tips guys, will go and check out the peckham one at lunchtime!
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    sadiedoll wrote: »
    I'm lucky to live in Edinburgh for all kinds of reasons, the superb shops are just a bonus.

What chinese supermarket do you use?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our Chinese supermarket is fabulous, was a intrigued by all the unusual things in the freezers until one day I spotted pigs uterus :o put me right off
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    That's always the problem! When I'm in Vancouver with my aunt, we go for a chinese meal...stuff isn't always recognisable... same with the shops in china town!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • In Reading there is a good one at 15, Craddock Road RG2 OJT called SeeWoo. We had frozen peking duck the other day £3.25 for half a duck and it tasted great and about a qurter of the price of that charged by local takeaway. The pastry that goes with the peking duck was £2.80 for 100 plus.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Really useful post Sadiedoll, thanks.

I wish I had a Chinese supermarket nearer to me than B'ham.

Me too - I never go up to Birmingham but Worcester would be ideal!
  • Chuzzle
    Chuzzle Posts: 625
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

I'm in Diss, Norfolk. Would anyone happen to know where my nearest Chinese/Asian supermarket might be? We did have one in Diss a couple of years ago but sadly it had to close due to lack of customers - I think I was probably their only customer apart from the takeaways!!

I do visit Makro ocasionally but never seem to think about getting rice etc from there, will have to do a price check next time I'm getting stuff for work.

We have a Tesco, Morrisons and Somerfield all in view of each other in Diss and I do tend to play them off against one another depending on what is on offer and where.
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • Ytaya
    Ytaya Posts: 326 Forumite
    Ruthibe73 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm in Diss, Norfolk. Would anyone happen to know where my nearest Chinese/Asian supermarket might be? We did have one in Diss a couple of years ago but sadly it had to close due to lack of customers - I think I was probably their only customer apart from the takeaways!!

There are a few in Norwich now. The two I know are definitely still there and have been for a while are the one on Ber St (don't know the name, it's just down from John Lewis if you walk away from the city centre) and Miah's on Magdalen St (on your left as you walk away from the city centre, past Oxfam, yellow store front, mostly Indian but has a lot of general 'ethnic' foodstuffs). There are others, but I can't remember where.
  • Happy_shopper
    Happy_shopper Posts: 6,660
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I like to buy the tofu - much cheaper than in the health food shops. If you're lucky, you'll get it in a re-useable plasic box (extra old-stylee points). ;) The prawn crackers - the pre-fried type that come in a cardboard box and look like small plastic discs - are also really cheap. The Chinese takeaways must make a big profit on them. (They're a bit scary to make though... :eek: ;) )
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Really useful post Sadiedoll, thanks.

I wish I had a Chinese supermarket nearer to me than B'ham.

You dont have to go into Birmingham to visit Wing Yips you can shop online too:j

http://www.wingyip.com

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family