Is this actually worth anything or just a holiday scam?

Options
I received the following e-mail with regard to a competition I entered. Does anyone know if this is actually worth answering to?

"CONGRATULATIONS

We are delighted to inform you that you are the one of our lucky prize draw winners of the June 2005 Funkyfogey/Seasons Holidays Competition.

You entered our prize draw via the Myoffers website and have won a lifetime membership to Seasons Holidays PLC worth £2950.00 which entitles you and your family to one week's luxury holiday accommodation for life.

To Claim your prize please call our free phone number 0800 448 448 Monday to Friday 11.00am - 8.00pm, and ask for Frances Mitchell. You will not be charged for your call.

Thank you also for choosing to join the Funkyfogey community where you can look forward to lots of new and very useful features including interesting Quizzes where you can win monthly prizes over the coming months - just click on https://www.funkyfogey.com/competitions

Kind regards and happy holidays,"

Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023

Comments

• akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks, thats what I was assuming, think I'll pass.
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • burbs_2
    burbs_2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    My mother in law won 1 of these FunkyFogey Holiday memberships this week as well. She got sent an email for a competition she started but did not finish, she did not bother to answer both questions due to computer freezing. She still won however and further to the email she also recieved their brochure in the post with all their "amazing holiday complexes for her to look through"

I think they are just trying to get a few people hooked onto it at the moment mate, i wouldnt bother
  • Dee123_2
    Dee123_2 Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    Options
    From the Seasons Holiday webpage....

"To be entered into our free monthly prize draw and to receive email updates, simply fill in your details below (only non-Members will be entered into the Prize draw).

Our lucky Prize Draw winners will be entitled to request 7 nights holiday accommodation each year, subject to availability in any luxury Seasons sleep 4 villa, cottage or apartment until the year 2069, excluding all future travel costs, transfers to and from airports, and annual RPI linked management fees (in 2005 £302 including on site utility fees).
    "

There you go....you arrange your own transport and pay them at least £300 a week for a week probably not of your choosing....hardly a giveaway, sorry :rolleyes:
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is
    determinism; the way you play it is free will.” Jawaharlal Nehru
    I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
    I am a wunderkind oh
    I am a ground-breaker naive enough to believe this
    I am a princess on the way to my throne
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    Waste of time and money - "the only thing you pay is a service charge"- type-of-scam.
  • trace-j
    trace-j Posts: 783 Forumite
    Options
    Or more commonly known as a Holiday Club. From what you get out of it, you may as well save a bit of money and have last minute deals every now and again at your convienence.
    :idea:I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about:idea:
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We actually have a membership of Seasons Holidays - it can be good depending upon your circumstances (it works for us as because of work commitments, late deals aren't usually an option). For a price of £2950 it may be a week that is only available at certain times of the year (nothing that could be considered 'peak') but the accommodation is of a very high quality - we also get the options of cheap weekend breaks in their resorts as well. In the end it's all down to personal choice, agree it may not be for everyone and if you really want a membership, you'd probably get a better deal by paying for something you want, not taking something because it's 'free'.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • klare_2
    klare_2 Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    we were sooooooooo excited.and then we read the details and i agree with most of the other psters in that in this day and age you could organise your own holiday a lot cheaper than what they are offering. Not a scam I dont think but not very good value
    :EasterBun ...what more do I need to say?!
    its all in the name of medical science.
  • bartsimpson1
    Options
    I follow these pages well and at long last in a postion to contribute something. Im not going to tell you not to do it but give you my expirences in case it alters your decission. I have just got back today from 2 days at Seasons Burn Park in Cornwall. My inlaws so called "WON" this life membership worth £3750 which first arrived in the wrong name and when querried was told it was for them. Very helpful friendly telephone staff took the introductionery maintence fee still payable and my inlaws booked the first free 2 days they were offered and even managed to stretch another accomodation for me and my partner and 4 year old. The only condtion of all this was to attend a 90min introduction talk. We are not green and had some idea what was involved. Anyway off we set Saturday morning for the 3 hour trip to Cornwall and on arrival near bude we saw a not obvious sign and set off down a terrible 1/4mile rough potholed track to arrive at a seculed complex. We were given our room keys and went to a comfortable clean appartment. Not i would say of 5 star standards but ive been on some cheap holdiays and stayed in some rough places so i was happy. Although the pack that first come spoke of top class quality i found the wooden window frames in our appartment were rotted right out and the windows were in a right state either uncleaned or due to the double glazing failing were all blown. Then again i was on a free break and the beds were comfortable so beggers cant be choosers. We attened there on site restrauant for the night and the staff were more then friendly and worked hard to please. I note though this is the night before the talk. The meals were edible but with the look of the restruant dissapointing in quanity and no more then bar basket meals in my opionion. For the middle of July it was very empty which felt strange for time of the year and we got talking to another family who also just arrived but had some bad repoorts with someone they had spoken to that day and were discussing leaving without attending the talk but had then been told it was a condition of the free acocmodation that you sit this otherwise your card which my inlaw then remembered was asked for when we booked in and also swipped and copied beign told it was common practise as security would be charged for the stay if the talk was not attended. Strange i thought for this was supposed to be all won through a competition. We retired to the bar and again ill be fair drink prices were resonable and choice of drinks were good. Females went to the onsite pool and this was all clean and good and again we had it all to ourself so fine. I must admit im not a cleaning freak but i still could not fell to notice lack of clean windows they were filthy and a good modernisation were not have gone a miss. I was happy but others that had read of the standards might not be. Next morning after a good night we attened the downstairs group welcome meeting with a free bacon roll and breakfast or should i say a rasher of bacon in a piece of roll. We then started to feel staff atitude changing. We asked for some sauce for our youngster and my wife a brown sauce addict and none came back. We were told about all the functions on that week and told to get our dinner bookings in as it can get busy for the sunday roast in the evening. Also told to report anything we needed to make our stay better and my inlaws pointed out that our room had a dvd and theres did not and it was on the contents list and needed to keep our youngster happy and were told that it would be sorted. I add this request also fell on deaf ears and none came. The we were the first for our 90 min intro so upstairs we went all 6 of us and sat in a room with a few kids toys and the talk started. Pretty much began as expected friendly and jokey and pushing how wonderful holidays were. After 30 mins we were being given a resort by resort talk about where our membership could take us and kept being reminded that it was basic and needed to be upgraded and everytime we asked how much we were told by this young chap he did not have the figures but this other chap at the back of the room by the name of Craig did and would talk to us later. By now the deals and rules were getting immensly complex to understand and our little one was getting very bored and just wanted the promised beach. Occasionaly going out the door we took it in turn to retrive her to eventually a drink was suggested and my wife went to get one. Our little one appeared upstairs again then disappeared again. After another 10 mins my wife appeared with drink and asked where our 4 year old girl was and we stated we thought she was with you and then told she was not. Me and my wife both went down to the bar and still no where and we relised she was not in the main building i rushed back upstairs and got my inlaws who also rushed down stairs and for 15 mins we had a full panic and fanned out of the build screaming her name. I add at this point both the Seasons holiday sales people never came down and with the exception of one of the restraunt staff no other persons helped us either. At this point we were all in blind terror rushing everywhere calling her starting t fear the workst checking swimming pools e.t.c. We eventually with much relieve and me adding 10 years to my life in 15 mins found her bored and fed up and we were all a little upset. As i climbed the stairs again all the seasons rep said was "right where were we lets get back" We were all clearly upset and my calm personality blew and i unleshed some words. We stormed off to calm down and the rep went to see my mother in law whos name this was all in and exclaimed "you are clearly not interested so we just need to sort out the charging of the rooms" The rooms being what was supposed to be given free and had been won. I at this point luckly not in ear shot otherwise this story would have a very different outcome at this point. It was eventually agreed to come back next day which after a beach day we did. Now our defences were well up and they had there work cut out. There was extra staff present as well and im not sure is Craig was expecting me to make a swing for him but im a adult and offered an appology for my lanuage the previous day and stated the terror we had and felt they offered no help or concern. I was told this was a very safe site although as pointed out was crossed by several public footpaths. I added im sure a certain resort in Portugal also claimed to be safe not so long ago but the least said on this the better. I then asked this chap behind his flash suit and aftershave did he have kids and he answered "NO" and i simply said that explains it. We then got back to were we left off and eventually got to the nitty gritty of the package to suit us would cost £10,750 and then a yearly maintence fee. We were pushed to take out a finance agreement with GE money and we asked several times the APR we asked for an illustration which im sure they are obliged to give and told we had to sign on the dotted line before having this illustration which im sure again is not allowed. And basically it was then stated after these questions it would be cheaper to arrange our own finance and that we could secure what was on the table for a 10% deposit. We were tired now and wanted to go home. The deals did sound good yes but we begrudged spending money with someone who did not give a dam for a childs welfare. We shock hands and left. On handing our keys in my mother in law was certain a photo copy had been taken of her card on arrival and asked for this back which was refused and again im sure this is not allowed under date protection. Finally on the way back we discussed if £10,750 was put in a good savings account on say 5%+ and also the £360 maintaince fee we would not be paying was added to it each year then each time accomodation for the twice yearly holiday was needed then this would pay for holidays for many years to come. As seasons foreign holidays you still have to pay for flights any how. Also i found when i got home the same £10,750 package was easlily buyable on Ebay for about £1500. So ive heard people defend them i heard people shout scam but which ever side of the fence you are on dont part with your hard earned money at one of these sales meetings there are other cheaper ways. The is more to life then money and linning there pockets. Prehaps Craig will have kids one day!!! I hope others find this true story helpful.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    All these holiday club type schemes simply are a waste of money - as you have found out, you can get the same deal far cheaper by merely searching on the worldwide web. And any deal offered as a result of an un-solicited letter you receive claiming you've 'won' a competition you can't remember entering is likely to be a complete rip-off bordering on a scam.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, they rely on people being in a holiday mood when they buy these things and then reap in the cash year after year whether you use the timeshare or not. I think there;s a thread on the vent forum from someone who has paid their yearly fee only to find they've been sent a 'top up' fee because the pund has fallen against the euro (I'll go and have a look for it).

Martin's pretty level headed advice about all these kind of holiday clubs & timeshares is:-

Don't touch any of them with a bargepole.
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure