Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robmcc
    • By Robmcc 15th Jan 20, 5:39 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Robmcc
    15 exit fee for Shell broadband, even though i'm out of contract.
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:39 PM
    15 exit fee for Shell broadband, even though i'm out of contract. 15th Jan 20 at 5:39 PM
    Quite frankly i'm pretty annoyed with myself, but i feel it is pretty underhand to be charged an exit fee when i am out of contract?? Has anyone got any advise, or do i just have to lump it?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th Jan 20, 5:44 PM
    • 35,915 Posts
    • 42,068 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:44 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:44 PM
    It's not underhand

Very open about in their terms and conditions which you signed up to and read
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 15th Jan 20, 5:54 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Xenon
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:54 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:54 PM
    It's not underhand

Very open about in their terms and conditions which you signed up to and unread
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Or as seems to be the case !
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:34 PM
    Quite frankly i'm pretty annoyed with myself, but i feel it is pretty underhand to be charged an exit fee when i am out of contract?? Has anyone got any advise, or do i just have to lump it?
    Originally posted by Robmcc
    You tend to get more helpful advice when you provide some details, as opposed to "something's not right, why is it not right?" type posts.

When was your original exit date? When did you move from Shell? When did you apply to move from Shell?

Note there is no "switching window" like you see in the energy market, so your contract runs up until the end of the day you agreed to. So if it's the 15th of Jan, you are out of contract as soon as it ticks over to the 16th. Moving away on the 15th will incur a fee, albeit very small by that point but a fee nevertheless.
    • Robmcc
    • By Robmcc 15th Jan 20, 8:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robmcc
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:00 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:00 PM
    I dont actually know when my contract is up as their website is awful. However I must be out of contract by 6 to 12months.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 15th Jan 20, 9:27 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:27 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 9:27 PM
    I dont actually know when my contract is up as their website is awful. However I must be out of contract by 6 to 12months.
    Originally posted by Robmcc
    When was your first payment made to Shell? Dig that out from your bank statement and then see if you can recall whether it was 12, 18 or 24 month contract (most likely 18 but just as likely 12).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,174Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter