Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

£15 exit fee for Shell broadband, even though i'm out of contract. - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

£15 exit fee for Shell broadband, even though i'm out of contract.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
38 replies 1.8K views
124»

Replies

• prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I may be doing my BB shuffle soon; I'll know to exclude Shell from the list!
  • kevin2ukevin2u Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ref comment on the £15 cease fee by Shell. I totally agree this fee has not been made transparent and both Shell and MSE have failed to include it in their advertised promotional offer price. I took a screen print of MSE promotional offer (at the time) when I used it to sign up with Shell. Had I known there were hidden charges (to which they are) then I may have chosen another provider. In my opinion the promotional advert was misleading and surely must have breached the regulatory standards. I have made a complaint to Shell via resolver (and hope any other consumers who feel duped also pursue a complaint) and if I do not receive an acceptable resolution then I will escalate further.
    Note to MSN: why are you allowing this to happen and what are you going to do about it as this affects our credibility?
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    kevin2u said:
    Ref comment on the £15 cease fee by Shell. I totally agree this fee has not been made transparent and both Shell and MSE have failed to include it in their advertised promotional offer price. I took a screen print of MSE promotional offer (at the time) when I used it to sign up with Shell. Had I known there were hidden charges (to which they are) then I may have chosen another provider. In my opinion the promotional advert was misleading and surely must have breached the regulatory standards. I have made a complaint to Shell via resolver (and hope any other consumers who feel duped also pursue a complaint) and if I do not receive an acceptable resolution then I will escalate further.
    Note to MSN: why are you allowing this to happen and what are you going to do about it as this affects our credibility?
    With all due respect, and as it was stated earlier in the thread, the £15 thing was in the T&Cs that you agreed to when you signed up.  If you didn't read them then that's your fault.  Promotional offer prices are just that - promotional, the devil is always in the detail.
  • KarhutKarhut Forumite
    16 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Kevin2u,
    you sent me private message about this, I could not reply to you mix up signing, thank you. ( Henn)
    I had no idea about the £15 fee either.
    I managed to speak to an agent ,she never mentioned it .
    my Shell Broadband has been good ,she said I just stay on rolling contract same price after fixed term, I guess when I decide to leave I will have to pay the exit fee.
    Very unfair if one is out of contract.

• carpycarpy Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    my shell bb has been terrible......can't wait to leave!
  • KarhutKarhut Forumite
    16 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I am at West Hampshire ,Openreach engineer told me they have no time to do routine maintenance because they are busy repairing broken / damaged phone lines!
    If they did maintenance ..... Broadband suppliers get the complaints about slow speeds.

• edited 17 September at 10:32PM
    pallymanpallyman Forumite
    88 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 17 September at 10:32PM
    kevin2u said:

Depending on when you signed up hears what it says in the T&C,   CustomerssigninguptoShellEnergyBroadband(12month)productsthroughmoneysavingexpect.comwillnotreceiveaCeaseChargeassetoutinourTermsandConditionsandPriceListiftheyleaveoutside their minimum contract period.PromotionisnotavailabletoexistingShellEnergybroadbandcustomersupgradingtheirexistingservice. All bill credits are inclusive of VAT
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, and as it was stated earlier in the thread, the £15 thing was in the T&Cs that you agreed to when you signed up.  If you didn't read them then that's your fault.  Promotional offer prices are just that - promotional, the devil is always in the detail.
    The point you're missing is that, whilst the Cease Fee is stated in Shell Energy's terms and conditions, it is not mentioned (or at least never used to be mentioned - I've not checked recently) in Shell Energy's advertising of its broadband packages. I watched a video on Shell Energy's website that made quite a play of there being no hidden charges. At no point in the video was there any mention of a "Cease Fee".

Consumers do not expect to pay a cease or termination fee when cancelling their broadband contract after the expiry of the contract's minimum period. Consequently, it is unfair that Shell Energy imposes such a fee without giving the fee equal prominence in its advertising as other fees, such as the amount of the monthly subscription.