Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

£15 exit fee for Shell broadband, even though i'm out of contract. - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

£15 exit fee for Shell broadband, even though i'm out of contract.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
38 replies 1.8K views

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not contact MSE ??
  • skippyrooskippyroo Forumite
    5 posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JJ_Egan said:
    Why not contact MSE ??
    Looking around at the MSE site, it doesn't look like this is encouraged - can't find a contact form or email to raise issues or complain about MSE.

• carpycarpy Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    skippyroo said:
    JJ_Egan said:
    Why not contact MSE ??
    Looking around at the MSE site, it doesn't look like this is encouraged - can't find a contact form or email to raise issues or complain about MSE.

agreed they don't make it easy....

however i managed to get in contact, and got a reply.....but they weren't interested!!
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skippyroo said:
    JJ_Egan said:
    Why not contact MSE ??

Just took me a few seconds to find .
    You can complain on the forum but MSE don't read it .

• ColinD1ColinD1 Forumite
    82 posts
    10 Posts
    It may have the ML name, but they are a commercial concern making money through recommendations.
    Do they want to have crusades against their paymasters?
    Grumpy people don't make them money.
  • skippyrooskippyroo Forumite
    5 posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JJ_Egan said:
    skippyroo said:
    JJ_Egan said:
    Why not contact MSE ??

Just took me a few seconds to find .
    You can complain on the forum but MSE don't read it .

Care to share what you found?

• EinstEinst Forumite
    6 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    I was with Shell for about 3 months in total, and as their service (or lack of it) was so shockingly bad, I managed to get out of the contract.
    I switched to them using MSE switching.. no problems there, but after the switch went through, I was constantly getting dropouts, and my speed had dropped by half..  Phoning and emailing did nothing..  but they do sign up to Resolver (another MSE service)  This worked, and got out of contract, penalty free..  and I am now back with Plusnet..
    I urge anybody thinking of switching to Shell Energy to think again... Cheap is one thing... working is another.
  • edited 1 July at 8:57AM
    gropinginthedarkgropinginthedark Forumite
    109 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July at 8:57AM
    What we need is standard contracts drafted by some independent authority (The Consumers Assn?) for energy, insurance, comms. etc. Suppliers could then simply say something like: we use UK standard motor insurance contract #2. If necessary they could add a strictly limited number variations like:  "clause 4.2 is modified to increase the exit fee from 10% of annual premium to 15%".  Suppliers could choose to save the considerable expense of getting lengthy contracts drawn up by lawyers, consumers would have a better alternative to reading yards of incomprehensible legalese much of which is unfortunately there to trick those who don't read it all or don't understand it which, lets face it, is most of us.  When you try to negotiate with your current insurer because you've got a better renewal quote elsewhere the response is "yes but on a like for like comparison we offer different features".  That's because every insurer's contract is different, in practice the differences are minor and cancel out. Company A has no excess on windscreen replacement but loss of digital key isn't, company B covers your keys but there's an excess on windscreens. 

I had a big arguement with a high-street mobile phone shop.  My son had been in to get a basic PAYG SIM, came out having been talked into taking a lengthy and expensive contract with costly exit clauses. 
    I was back same day to remonstrate, they just showed me the piece of paper where he'd signed to say he'd read the T&C.  I asked them to show me the T&C as he'd not been given the opportunity to read anything, they weren't printed on the contract, nor supplied as a separate document.  The shop wasn't even able to find a copy to show me, they didn't seem to consider that a problem, they'd got his signature that was good enough. They only relented in the end because an angry consumer making a big fuss in the shop wasn't filling other potential customers with enthusiasm and I was taking up the time of the sales-!!!!!! and the manager who would rather be conning other mugs.
  • poundsNpencepoundsNpence Forumite
    17 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Info in this thread https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6040981/shell-energy-broadband-any-feedback-from-recent-joiners/p14 suggests the £15 cease fee is waived for sign-ups via MSE.
  • vic09vic09 Forumite
    21 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Einst said:
    I was with Shell for about 3 months in total, and as their service (or lack of it) was so shockingly bad, I managed to get out of the contract.
    I switched to them using MSE switching.. no problems there, but after the switch went through, I was constantly getting dropouts, and my speed had dropped by half..  Phoning and emailing did nothing..  but they do sign up to Resolver (another MSE service)  This worked, and got out of contract, penalty free..  and I am now back with Plusnet..
    I urge anybody thinking of switching to Shell Energy to think again... Cheap is one thing... working is another.
    I had the same experience, never got the advertised speed and cancelled out of frustration. I really wish I had stayed with NOW TV Broadband. Oh well, lesson learned - never again!