Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IHINUK
    • By IHINUK 15th Jan 20, 11:22 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    IHINUK
    0 WOW
    Hire Car Damage
    • 15th Jan 20, 11:22 AM
    0 WOW
    Hire Car Damage 15th Jan 20 at 11:22 AM
    Back in October 2019 I hired a car from SIXT in Portugal. During the hire I was hit in the rear/near side by another car. Notified SIXT within 30 mins. filled all the forms in stating in my opinion I was not at fault. Last week SIXT contacted me saying they had determined both drivers were responsible and the damage cost would be shared. I am not particularly concerned with that, it was half expected as it is an easy way out for SIXT. My issue is SIXT are trying to charge Euro 3,200 for the damage of which they expect me to pay Euro 1,560 (the excess I signed up to). I asked for the estimate and evidence they had paid this amount (Euro 3,200). All they sent me was a standard document they call their IDC which is a comprehensive set of charges for various types of damage to vehicles. I have excess insurance but am worried the excess insurer will not pay because what SIXT are proposing is not actually the cost of the repair, it is not even an estimate, it's just a price list and bears no relation to the actual physical damage or the cost of the repair. Anyone have any suggestions ? The car was almost brand new and had no damage when I picked it up. I am not challenging anything other than the manner in which SIXT are proposing to charge me. They have said in writing they will not give me the information I asked for (the estimate and the actual physical cost) as it is internal company documentation.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Jan 20, 12:21 PM
    • 5,040 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:21 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:21 PM
    Sixt are proceeding in a normal way for hire firms, they don't obtain and charge by estimates for damage, and may not even repair it.

As long as all the documentation is in order you can present it to your excess cover provider and they will pay, they are used to this kind of thing and account for it in their pricing.
    • IHINUK
    • By IHINUK 15th Jan 20, 7:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IHINUK
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:26 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:26 PM
    I sure hope so but will have one more go at SIXT if nothing else, to evidence to the excess insurer I have done all I can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

6,719Users online

Martin's Twitter