Plusnet Vodaphone & Virgin

Options
After many years paying Virgin lots of money for a service I hardly use, I am looking at the competition. I currently have broadband and basic tv. Should be 100mbps but actually averages around 50/60 mbps .

The competition like PlusNet are advertising at around £22 for circa 55 - 66 mbps.

On speaking to Virgin retention they will only offer me 54 mbps for £34 and were quite arrogant with regards to heir servive vs the competition

My question is in relation to the BTopenreach service that all Virgins competitors use. Just how good is it? If I am promised an average of say 66 mbps how often will this fall below that at say peak times and just how bad will is get?

Ive just looked on Trust pilot and it seems BT OPenreach is possibly the worst company in the UK...

I live in Stoke on Trent

Cheers

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends upon your local cabinet and how far away you are and the quality of your phone line .

BT OR supply the majority of services in the UK .
  • markkelsall
    Options
    Yes, I guessed this would be the case. Bit of a lottery then unless you know of a cabinet map or way of identifying my nearest cabinet!?
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2020 at 7:39PM
    Options
    If you go for the VM offer maybe by March they will put you back on 100mps for free. see
    https://www.choose.co.uk/news/2020/virgin-media-free-broadband-speed-boost/
    Update: looks like you had to sign up for 50mps by 1/12/2019.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How important is speed to you.

I guess not very.

During the signup process you will be gives a guaranteed speed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    After many years paying Virgin lots of money for a service I hardly use, I am looking at the competition. I currently have broadband and basic tv. Should be 100mbps but actually averages around 50/60 mbps .

The competition like PlusNet are advertising at around £22 for circa 55 - 66 mbps.

On speaking to Virgin retention they will only offer me 54 mbps for £34 and were quite arrogant with regards to heir servive vs the competition

My question is in relation to the BTopenreach service that all Virgins competitors use. Just how good is it? If I am promised an average of say 66 mbps how often will this fall below that at say peak times and just how bad will is get?

Ive just looked on Trust pilot and it seems BT OPenreach is possibly the worst company in the UK...

I live in Stoke on Trent

Cheers

Use the address checker link at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

That will give you a fairly accurate estimation. In fact if you phone any of the suppliers they should be able to run a similar test.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Using an Openreach line the theoretical maximum throughput is limited by the line length (in reality it's more complicated than that but its a close enough approximation for the vast majority). This is because of physics, not because of some malice towards people living further away from the cabinet. The checker that has already been linked will give you a good estimate of what is likely.

Regarding slowing down at peak times, this is down to not Openreach, this is down to the ISP you use. The cheaper they are and more they will discount, the more likely they are to under-provision their links to save money and thereby cause evening slowdowns. Too many people think that internet provision is like electric, as it all comes down the same cable it's all the same. It isn't, you get what you pay for.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • food4thought1
    Options
    I believe Vodafone now offer a guaranteed speed "guaranteed minimum download speed or money back"

just check the terms of the offer
  • darkeyes_2
    Options
    I believe Vodafone now offer a guaranteed speed "guaranteed minimum download speed or money back"

just check the terms of the offer
    Plusnet too. It's called the Minimum Guaranteed Speed (MGS).

Drop below it, and report a fault. if the Faults' Team cant resolve it, you can leave you contract penalty-free.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think vodafone refund you £3?/month if its below speed
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    Following if you don't mind.

I am absolutely fed up of VM and looking to swap.

We have been saying it for a while, how expensive they are - but last week we had an issue with the Broadband, so I called up the Customer Service line

What I got at the end of the phone was a very grumpy/angry member of staff who was arguing with me...I was absolutely flabbergasted and caught on the backfoot ......it is an intermittent fault, why are you telling me it is working when it is not, why are you lying, are you lying? Do you not know if it is working? why WHY?

This is how I was being spoken to. Then he told me to reset the modem and then the call disconnected at his end

Reset didn't work. The box is an out of date one, so I called again and was sent a newer version, works perfectly

However, Because of the way I was spoken to, I had raised a complaint and been given a complaint number. I asked what was happening about the complaint and mysteriously there was no complaint actually logged and the complaint number I was given, does not exist. They say they record their calls for training purposes so you would think that they would be able to hear for themselves

We have been with VM for years, back to the days when it was Diamond Cable, and the extensive charges were bad enough, but to be spoken to like that and then the complaint denied....I don't even feel angry, I just feel defeated and really quite sad
    With love, POSR <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport