Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Molly
    • By MSE Molly 30th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 57Thanks
    MSE Molly
    What do you fill your reusable advent calendars with?
    • 30th Oct 19, 4:11 PM
    What do you fill your reusable advent calendars with? 30th Oct 19 at 4:11 PM
    Hello Forumites!

It's only 8 weeks to go until Christmas! Can you believe it?!

As such, it’s that time of year again when Aldi’s popular Advent calendars make their return.

This Friday at midday, the MSE Social team will be taking a look at them live on Instagram before they go on sale this weekend.

Did you get one last year or planning to get one this year? If so, we want to know what you’re planning on putting in each drawer!

Of course traditional chocolate is a must! But do you have any other ideas?

Maybe tiny toys? Or beautiful smelling tealights?

We’ll take a look at some of the best suggestions in our Live on Friday! See you there!

- MSE Molly

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 31st Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    • 4,037 Posts
    • 9,472 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    Not an Aldi one but my daughter has a wooden one with little numbered houses. The roofs lift to reveal the treats. Just big enough for an individually wrapped chocolate, maybe a coin, a little lip balm or nail varnish. Grandparents keep an eye out through the year for items that will fit
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 31st Oct 19, 10:25 AM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 29,124 Thanks
    Misslayed
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:25 AM
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:25 AM
    Promise notes - mostly involving special time together. Baking Christmas cookies, watching a favourite film (again), reading a favourite story. Can be anything relevant to the child, and they don't all have to be different! Recycle ideas every week.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 31st Oct 19, 10:34 AM
    • 17,972 Posts
    • 39,922 Thanks
    Glad
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:34 AM
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:34 AM
    My children are in their 20s but still like little sweets and chocolates in their advent calendar, we're trying to be as plastic free as possible this year so I'll be making home made sweets and chocolates
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • MSE Molly
    • By MSE Molly 1st Nov 19, 12:44 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    MSE Molly
    • 1st Nov 19, 12:44 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 12:44 PM
    Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions!

You can still catch the Instagram Live for the next 24 hours.

Just visit www.instagram.com/moneysavingexp to watch - and don't forget to hit follow!

- MSE Molly

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 1st Nov 19, 12:45 PM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 131,106 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 1st Nov 19, 12:45 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 12:45 PM
    Small sweets and chocolate
    Sun, Sea

• Mrs Arthur Crown
    • By Mrs Arthur Crown 1st Nov 19, 1:10 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    Mrs Arthur Crown
    • 1st Nov 19, 1:10 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 1:10 PM
    I would normally refuse to be drawn into discussing anything relating to Christmas this early in the year (it's only November) but hey ho.

We have a 14 year old son, so for the past couple of years the contents of the advent calendar have been a mixture of chocolate coins, a mixture of real coins of varying denominations, little promise notes, fake promise notes (ie bits of paper) and the shiniest £2 coin in pocket 24 (I have to remember that if I get a shiny £2, I need to put it somewhere where I will remember to find it in time to fill the advent calendar).

The pockets aren't particularly large on the calendar so everything that goes in there has to be flattish and no bigger than a £2. Even the largest size chocolate coin doesn't fit.
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 2nd Nov 19, 12:36 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    jackomdj
    • 2nd Nov 19, 12:36 PM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 12:36 PM
    We do a mixture of little bits (not a lot fits in them) and clues to find slightly larger hidden items.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 17th Nov 19, 4:08 PM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 17th Nov 19, 4:08 PM
    • 17th Nov 19, 4:08 PM
    I did one for my 60 something husband a few years ago. I got a large piece of cardboard, covered it with a piece of Christmas fabric then tied up 24 presents with Christmas ribbon and stapled them to the board.

Half of the items were chocolates, Lindt truffles which he particular likes. The rest I got from TKMaxx. Lots of toiletries, a posh set of 4 was 4 days worth. Lots of small interesting things there at cheap prices. This was his Christmas present by the way, we don’t do “big” presents.

He loved it said it was much nicer opening 24 presents than a couple on Christmas Day (we have no family to exchange presents with).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

2,055Users online

Martin's Twitter