Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Marcus
    • By MSE Marcus 7th Oct 19, 6:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 69Thanks
    MSE Marcus
    Forum Announcement
    • 7th Oct 19, 6:26 PM
    Forum Announcement 7th Oct 19 at 6:26 PM
    Dear MSE Forumites!

I’m Marcus and I’m the Editor-in-Chief at MoneySavingExpert.com.

I have some really important news to share with you and I hope you will all be as excited as we are here at MSE Towers.

MSE Forums began almost 17 years ago and has become one of the UK’s biggest communities. It’s a lively, active place to share everything from MoneySaving tips to the best slow-cooker recipes. We’re incredibly proud of what you, the Forumites, have built, and see it as an invaluable part of our wider mission to help consumers.

For our regulars though, you will have noticed over the past few years that the bit we do – the technology that supports our Forum - has been creaking at best, and completely broken at worst. We’ve reached the stage where our present platform is simply unsustainable – when it breaks, we’re not able to fix it.

We want your Forum to live for at least another 17 years.

So, we’ve made the big decision to significantly invest in a new platform which all of you will be moved across to. We aim to keep the best of the existing Forum, but tackle the frustrating bits that you tell us you don’t like.

To be clear, some things will change. But staying as we are is not an option, and the alternative would be closing the MSE Forums – which we have no intention of doing.

After many months of planning, research and an awful lot of meetings, we’ve found a new provider and work has started on the behind-the-scenes technology.

Your new platform will – hopefully – go live in early 2020. But in the meantime, we need your help! We’re looking for a top team of Forumites to help us with the finishing touches, especially the ‘look’ and ‘feel’ of our new Forum. If you’re interested in becoming a member (there may be a Badge!) of the Fab-Forumite Feature Testing Group, please let us know by registering your interest here

We realise some of you may feel apprehensive about all this. But closing the Forum simply wasn’t an option to Martin, myself or the rest of MSE. That means, despite the challenges, we’re hoping you will embrace the new Forum.

As always, we welcome your constructive feedback and keep your eyes peeled for regular updates from me and the Forum Team over the coming weeks.

Marcus Herbert
    Editor-in-Chief, MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 1
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 7th Oct 19, 7:48 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    staffie1
    • 7th Oct 19, 7:48 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 7:48 PM
    Looking forward to the improvements!
    If you will the end, you must will the means
    • martknell
    • By martknell 7th Oct 19, 8:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    martknell
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:22 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:22 PM
    I've been using the forums for 2 or 3 months and haven't noticed any issues, which is nice. It is a tad outdated though, so looking forward to seeing what the new platform has to offer :-)
    • J B
    • By J B 7th Oct 19, 8:36 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    J B
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:36 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:36 PM
    Ain't broke - don't fix?

• kpwll
    • By kpwll 7th Oct 19, 8:38 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 11,235 Thanks
    kpwll
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:38 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:38 PM
    I hope for us old timers we can still enjoy the 'old view/format', if we wish.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 7th Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    Ain't broke - don't fix?

Originally posted by J B
    Or as I'm sure our IT department's mantra goes - 'if it ain't broke, fix it until it is'
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 7th Oct 19, 9:22 PM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 2,852 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:22 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:22 PM
    Please don't make the same mistake Interactive Investor made with their old functional, useful discussion forum turning it in to an amalgamated mess.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 7th Oct 19, 9:24 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 3,736 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:24 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:24 PM
    I have a couple of few questions:
    • What is the forum software you are switching to?
    • Has it been field/load tested for 1.9 million users?
    • What is the policy regarding the secure transfer of 1.9m passwords and other user data such as birthday and contact and ignore lists?
    • Are the 3.5m threads and 45m posts currently on vBulletin going to be migrated to the new system?
    • Are there going to be any increases in system minimum specs for users eg browser, o/s, etc? (Many MSE'rs use older systems, because they work and this is a money saving site, after all)
    Oh, and welcome to the forums newbie Marcus

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • julsthomas
    • By julsthomas 7th Oct 19, 9:38 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    julsthomas
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:38 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 9:38 PM
    Quick question - will we still access the competition forums via the same links?

Julie
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 7th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Ooh! Does this mean there will be the function to jump to the first unread posts in a thread?
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 7th Oct 19, 10:10 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 8th Oct 19, 3:06 AM
    • 6,253 Posts
    • 28,632 Thanks
    Misslayed
    Looking forward to a shiny new platform
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 8th Oct 19, 4:33 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake
    PLEASE let us on the old platform be able to retain this look. Though if you're moving to a new platform I'm guessing that will be impossible...
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.

• NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 8th Oct 19, 7:17 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    ATM I think the desktop site is fine but the mobile version is clunky and less user friendly (although the same is true of a lot of mobile sites not just MSE), improving the mobile site would be a welcone change IMO.
    • Game_Over
    • By Game_Over 8th Oct 19, 8:29 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Game_Over
    ... But staying as we are is not an option, and the alternative would be closing the MSE Forums – which we have no intention of doing...

But closing the Forum simply wasn’t an option to Martin, myself or the rest of MSE. ...
    Originally posted by MSE Marcus
    Why not? MSE Martin hardly ever even posts on this place anymore, and I can fully understand why.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

... We aim to keep the best of the existing Forum, but tackle the frustrating bits that you tell us you don’t like.

Originally posted by MSE Marcus
    The "frustrating bits" are the small number of trolls who now rule these boards with their multiple AE accounts, and I'm sorry, but a new platform is not going to address that one little bit.

If you are determined to keep this forum open, then I say invest the money in some proper, experienced forum moderators who will identify the real issues and boot the trolls and all their multiple AE accounts off. (and stop them creating new AE accounts to just resume where they left off when someone does actually PPR them)
    People doing this part time, responding the best they can to alerts, and only then only having the time to review the individual post being reported, is not working.

This is not a criticism of those carrying out the task currently, who I am sure are doing the very best they can with the limited resources they are given, but a critisicm of those asking them to carry out the task without realising the enormity of the job if it is to be done properly.

Take a look at the recent, numerous posts on Trustpilot about how this site has rapidly deteriorated in recent times to see I am not alone in how I feel. 2.3/5

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.moneysavingexpert.com

A nest of vipers

Avoid the forums

Don't use the forums.

The forums are a nasty cesspit

The Forum Is The Cancer of MSE

etc, etc
    Last edited by Game_Over; 08-10-2019 at 8:37 AM.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 8th Oct 19, 8:56 AM
    • 6,523 Posts
    • 4,160 Thanks
    Ken68
    Hi Marcus....this forum has over the years saved me thousands, yes thousands of pounds. And have met the odd viper, troll or just ill mannered member who doesn't seem to recognize that he is a guest in someone's house. You get them everywhere. Thank you and good luck with the new platform.
    • Oakie
    • By Oakie 8th Oct 19, 9:22 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Oakie
    Another vote for the 'old look'.
    Which is much calmer on the eyes,than the more recent changed one
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 8th Oct 19, 9:49 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Morbier
    Having suffered in a previous civil service job, when a new user system was introduced, and we (the end users) ended up teaching the so-called 'trainers' how to use it - can I respectfully request that you 'road test' the new version really, really well before you unleash it on us?

Also, please put in an obvious place, a complete User Guide, both for PC and tablet/phone versions. I've had to either guess or ask forum members how to do something.

Keeping my fingers crossed .....
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 8th Oct 19, 10:13 AM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 50,135 Thanks
    MimiJane
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ensure we can still access the "old-style" forum! I'm too old and stupid to start learning from scratch ...
    Wins since 2009 = £16,880

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS. - xx
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 8th Oct 19, 10:31 AM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    badmemory
    Please keep it accessible from a desktop & not gone to rubbish like some others have. We don't all have massively expensive mobiles this is MSE after all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,050Posts Today

7,007Users online

Martin's Twitter