Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 30th Sep 19, 6:55 AM
    • 7,488Posts
    • 44,980Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 30th September?
    • 30th Sep 19, 6:55 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 30th September? 30th Sep 19 at 6:55 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
Page 1
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 30th Sep 19, 7:09 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Narola1976
    • 30th Sep 19, 7:09 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 7:09 AM
    Morning thanks for getting us started. Finally pay day has arrived, it has taken forever it seems to get here. Very busy day at work today, but my mind is all over the place worrying about money and debt and sometimes I think I will go mad So all I can do is all I can do:

* Check bank - done
    * Update budget - Done
    * Pay a couple of bills - done
    * Dinner - sausage casserole in slow cooker, first time making this dish so hope it turns out ok as I am not a domestic goddess in any way
    * Drop DD at college
    *Take medication
    * try really hard not to get distracted at work
    * try to get a couple of surveys in

Have a good day
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 30th Sep 19, 7:18 AM
    • 7,488 Posts
    • 44,980 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 30th Sep 19, 7:18 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 7:18 AM
    Morning thought I'd start us off, been up since 5!

Today:

* TOMM
    * do some sewing
    * go to allotment
    * load of washing, extra spin & line dry
    * all meals from stores
    * might go in to town as need some bits for a couple of projects I'm working on and want to complete this week. I don't know will see if I fancy it....
    * go for a walk
    * need to go through my cc statement but not sure I'll want to face it today...

Ok that's me. Have a good day
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 30th Sep 19, 7:57 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 35,775 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 30th Sep 19, 7:57 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 7:57 AM
    Morning all,
    Well, after a weekend of not feeling 100%, I need to have a week of achievement. So today, I plan to set myself up for a good few days ahead. Frugal tasks today will be:
    *Bake bread
    *Cut up & freeze fresh fish order which is being delivered today.
    *Defrost all foods required for tomorrow when I intend to get a meal into the slow cooker first thing.
    *Peg out as much laundry as possible as big rain arriving this afternoon.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Wrap birthday gifts using materials from my recycled stash.
    *Knit..... or rather re-knit, for anyone who has seen this sorry & massively annoying tale on my dfw diary.
    *Update grocery budget.
    *Move a few funds around to keep different budget pots correct.
    *Check card stash to see how many winter birthdays it can stretch to.
    *Copy a recipe out from a library book, as I defo want to make it.
    *Tidy & vacuum. Not money saving but a tidy house makes me feel more in the positivity zone.
    *Check medicine box to see what needs buying ready to deal with colds & lergy season.
    *Defrost watercress soup for lunch (with a yellow sticker cob, I'm pleased to say!)
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    *Check greenhouse & pick a couple of peppers.
    *Make a 'Christmas 2019' presents list in my diary. Am aiming to turn out the presents bag this week to see what I already have for people.
    *Triage of the fridge so small bits of things are used up & not binned.
    *Check online banking for a particular payment.
    *Check for Prolific surveys - I've had 4 from Yougov this weekend.
    *Check for long-awaited email from solicitor..... Oh look, a flying porcine making its way down our road.......
    Doubtless there will be other things too, as the day progresses.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 227
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 30th Sep 19, 8:28 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,576 Thanks
    ditty1234
    • 30th Sep 19, 8:28 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 8:28 AM
    Morning ready for a productive week. This week will be a challenge to do a birthday party and gift w minimum expenses and maximum fun.
    And make up for the fact that I did not apply to full time job by working towards relaunching my own creative business.
    LBM Jan 2019 - 25.928/-24.095 7% paid off - EF 65.53 Jan 2020
    2020 1000 EF, get citizenship 1400, run 10 k in 1 hour 10 min
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 30th Sep 19, 8:50 AM
    • 5,982 Posts
    • 47,852 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 30th Sep 19, 8:50 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 8:50 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for starting us off DNMS
    Today's plans:
    HG berries for breakfast (done)
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Need to do some tidying and cleaning Very little done
    And a small shop - Lidl today I think! Done, spent 35 and got loads! Also popped into the stationers / craft shop as I needed a new sharpie, and wanted to buy new paints, glue, brushes etc for GD and any other visiting children. Sorted out the drawer I keep such stuff in, and threw away old dried up paints and various other rubbish.
    And take some items to my sales unit Done, also bought some back, now put away
    A load of washing, which I fear will have to go on the airer Currently in machine
    Food will be from home, some of the nice things I bought from the country fair the other day plus leftovers from yesterday's roast I think! Done
    Got a quote back from one of the companies I contacted re repairing our camper van awning after it was damaged by a norty New Forest pony trying to get in to check for food (there wasn't any, we know their sort and would never leave food unattended in a tent). Will wait to see if the other company respond and then decide.

Better get on with some of it!
    Last edited by DawnW; 30-09-2019 at 9:19 PM.

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 30th Sep 19, 10:08 AM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 37,587 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 30th Sep 19, 10:08 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 10:08 AM
    Good Morning Everyone

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today.

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

The sun's shining and I am pretty sure it wont last all day so have washed a load of towels and got them out on line while we are pottering around. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Post parcel for DS -
    Continue decluttering -
    Make soup -
    List a few more bits on Freegle -
    Swagbucks -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner -
    Read Book -
    Headspace app before bed -

Have a great day!

C x
    Money made in 2018 1556.43 Money made in 2019 1071.99
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 30th Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 13,272 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    Good afternoon all and thanks to DNMS for starting us off this week.

I'm still not feeling 100% but hopefully I'll feel better for getting a list up.

Todays list
    * 2 gym sessions and refilled water bottle did two classes but with only half effort so equates to a class I'd say!
    * wash 3 loads on the quick wash and hang on airers in the house as unfortunately we already have lots of rain done, already fed up of seeing wet washing around the house!!
    * into town to the optictians - my prescription has changed so taking back my unopened boxes of contact lenses so that they can swap them and decide on a pair of glasses to order done and went for cheap frames as I'm usually wearing lenses
    * buy ds1s birthday card for later in the week, card was a really nice one - perfect for him and when I got to the till it was half price too
    * Go to icyland as we had a 5 off 20 shop voucher, bought lots of veggies, some milk and some mince
    * check banking and update spreadsheet - need to tweak budget as I remembered at daft o'clock this morning a one off spend that I've not accounted for coming up in the next few weeks done, wish I'd remembered about this weeks ago as its messed up my budgets through to Jan ah well sorted now
    * help kids to sort out their pocket money spreadsheets as its their payday tomorrow and I want to change how they're recording the info to help them spot patterns in their spending done
    * rm surveys done, I'm coming to the end of this cycle too which I'm pleased with
    * triage fridge and make sure nothing is going to waste. done
    ** blitzed the end of a loaf of bread for breadcrumbs - added them to a bag of them in the freezer
    ** ironed dh's work shirts and switched off as starting the last one to use the residual heat
    ** made families lunches for tomorrow - saves us a small fortune

Thats my starter, I'll check back in a bit.
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 30-09-2019 at 5:55 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • twiggy86
    • By twiggy86 30th Sep 19, 1:42 PM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    twiggy86
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:42 PM
    • 30th Sep 19, 1:42 PM
    Afternoon all!

Hope you are all well and had a good weekend.

Today I have/will:
    * Check bank
    * Go back through statements to find out who home insurance is with as been waiting for renewal docs!
    * Cash out 1 on TCB
    * Do washing up
    * Put load of washing on 30 degree eco wash
    * Do monthly budget (payday!)
    * Do comparison for home insurance
    * Check OP/PA
    * Order wool for crochet project
    * Do meal plan
    * Write shopping list
    * Shop to list!
    * Get lift to parkour
    * Dinner from stores

Think that's everything for today!
    Last edited by twiggy86; 30-09-2019 at 1:57 PM.
    Starting again.. LMB 31.7.19 Starting total: 13,418.33 Current total: 10,652.84
    One and half debts down, four more to go!
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 30th Sep 19, 5:55 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 14,097 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    DNMS thank you for starting this weeks thread

Today I put in an online order for a few things we had run out of, I made good savings on our order because I used a loyalty voucher, money off voucher code, most items were on offer, we qualified for free delivery, I went through Quidco to get cashback, used our for points only credit card and used my loyalty card. This is a shop we regularly buy from so I keep an ongoing list of things we are running low/out of to make the best of offers/discounts etc. Savings of over 50%, plus cashback and points

I continue to be unwell and symptoms are effecting my sleep, which in turn is effecting my mental health and the wet, grey days are not helping. I am hoping once my sleep improves everything else will. I usually do the majority of our grocery shopping on Monday's, decided instead to rest at home today to see if that helps me start to recover, I have yet to reschedule when I'm going but we have all the food for tomorrow in so no great rush. We are running low on fruit but the trees in the garden will cover that.

Today's list:
    PAD
    Pmp etc
    NSD
    Make bread
    Make porridge
    Stuck to the meal plan
    B/L/D from stores
    RM survey

This is a pathetic list. I hope tomorrow I can do better.
    Last edited by Baileys Babe; 30-09-2019 at 5:58 PM.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 30th Sep 19, 6:07 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 13,272 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    BB, I hope you are feeling better soon, I'm too not 100% and sleep is always the first thing to go for me. I agree that the weather doesn't help with low mood. You did brilliantly with your online order today!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 30th Sep 19, 11:37 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,545 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Hoping u r feeling better soon Baileys Babe. There is nothing worse when sleep is affected, it really does have a knock on effect

Popping in to ask a quick question.
    Ive had a quote to replace the stairs and landing carpet with carpet (that u can use bleach on), underlay , door bars and gripper rods where needed for 500 is this a good deal please?
    We haven't many carpet places were I live and the last carpet I bought was 7 years ago from the same place. Just didn't know if it was a good deal. Thank u!

I am trying to rest up.......have project hall on the go!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 1st Oct 19, 8:29 AM
    • 7,488 Posts
    • 44,980 Thanks
    determined new ms
    HK there are some online carpet shops that I've heard really good things about. You could probably get equally good carpet for 250 and pay someone 60 to fit. I'll look some up and post later for you
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 1st Oct 19, 10:10 AM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,545 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Aaawww thank u DNMS for taking the time.

I've had to go with the 500 one as fate decided to take matters into its own hands as we are working around a new stair lift and the stair lift has arrived which was unexpected.

I would have had trouble trying to get someone to fit it, that would have been a problem. Where I live tradespeople are like diamonds. Trying to get an electrician has been like doing the crystal maze, people are rare as hens teeth but thank u again, much appreciated.
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 1st Oct 19, 10:17 AM
    • 7,488 Posts
    • 44,980 Thanks
    determined new ms
    well glad it has worked out for you. Sometimes the universe decides!

Today:

* TOMM
    * take pup for a before it rains
    * all meals from stores
    * some sewing

Ok this is just my starter as need to take pup for that walk!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 1st Oct 19, 2:04 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 13,272 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all, its quiet here today, hope everyones doing ok?
    HK, glad you got sorted.

Todays list
    * 2 classes and refilled water bottle
    * rm surveys
    * use up omelette for brunch
    * made a chicken casserole for tonight using up all the veg from the bottom of the fridge, also made mashed potato to go with it.
    * made a batch of Welsh cakes, to go into families lunch boxes tomorrow
    * washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash, no chance of hanging out though as the rain keeps on coming down.
    * checked banking and updated spreadsheet

Still to do
    * hang washing onto the airers and put yesterdays away if dry
    * pop to aldee for bread, carrot and celery so that I can make vvvv
    * make families lunches for tomorrow
    * follow up school email and email to the trampoline place

That is about it.
    Take care all.
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 1st Oct 19, 7:38 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,576 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Well today was a bit of a whirlwind - mostly of nothingness.
    Slept in and took DS to fracture clinic and all is well and soon he can start his sports training again.
    Went to look for out of season sports kit - but had to order online.
    Same wth fairy lights, bought some I'm taking back as are too faint.
    So in the end all the money I spent was 10 in Wilc* for two rice paper moon lampshades and a bulb, 15 on petrol until I can get to a cheaper Tesc* and get points, 1.80 for parking near hospital, 20 on swimming training kit (fins and float buoy), I tried to buy second hand, but the seller was messing about with the price. I also had to pay for delivery but I will get that back as a voucher to spend in Sports D for a pair of socks or something.

So quite a lot of money on kit, but ... slightly worse that I have then decided to not go running last night as the rain was torrential and not swim tonight as I don't have fins, and the weather is still quite wild outside.

I managed to make dinner from fridge and freezer the old pasta bake today and 2. day chicken w risotto yesterday. Hopefully cover work tomorrow and then a club run, and then off to my 10k on Sunday.

Yesterday was NSD.
    Today
    Check budget
    Planning on NSD until Saturday, except milk for Thursday morning.

Hope you are all dry and safe in this rainy week, so many big and small car and bike crashes happening, be carefull.
    LBM Jan 2019 - 25.928/-24.095 7% paid off - EF 65.53 Jan 2020
    2020 1000 EF, get citizenship 1400, run 10 k in 1 hour 10 min
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 1st Oct 19, 9:21 PM
    • 5,982 Posts
    • 47,852 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    I recently had the lower of my 2 stair carpets replaced HK and it was just over 500 fitted and that was just the stairs.

It was properly measured and fitted (eventually) and a good quality carpet which I am pleased with. Not a cheap retailer though, I could probably have paid less.

Monsoon like rain here one minute, hot sun the next
    Up early and made a loaf in the BM, and washed the downstairs floors as the dog weed in the hall last night and I managed to step in it and tread it everywhere Thank goodness for hard floors - naughty dog though!
    Finished off a pot of jam (well, just the little bit left in the bottom) on toast for breakfast - OH has a habit of using most of something - anything - and then opening a new one, which is most annoying.
    Sorted out some photos onto a memory stick for OH as he wanted to get some printed. He dropped me off at the surgery on the way, as I had my asthma review appointment. This turned into a bit of a saga, as the appointments were running late and afterwards I had to walk into town to collect an item from the main pharmacy, as the in house one didn't stock it. Still, the nurse did my flu jab at the same time, so I could cancel next week's appointment and I got plenty of exercise today!
    Got home and DD was there, and there she stayed, even returning after she had picked up GD from school, so nothing else at all got done. In fairness, yesterday was OH's birthday and they had brought him a cake and had to sing happy birthday etc which was very cute, but the kids made a big mess which I will have to tackle tomorrow as I have run out of steam for today!
    Today's spends were for a small medical device to help me use my new inhaler as it is huge and I have small and arthritic hands, and a really sweet old painting of some chicks and a toad for GD's birthday next month, which sounds odd but is really cute, and what is more is not made of pink plastic!

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 1st Oct 19, 10:46 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 37,587 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Hi everyone

Been a pretty dark and dreary here with some really bad patches of fog in different parts of the city, had a restful day apart from a Drs appointment first thing (and she gave me my flu jab too, so cancelled next wks appointment) as DD bought me a facial and back/neck massage treatment for my birthday earlier this year and today was the day - was lovely. Today we will:

Checked Bank & made PAD - Done
    Dropped bags at Charity shop
    Swagbucks
    Purged a few emails
    Entered comps
    Surveys
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner

Catch you all tomorrow!

C x

PS Had a couple of lovely wins today - a cashmere pashmina 97 ish) and a 450 gift voucher for a country store (bought myself some every day boots, walking boots, gilet and tops - perfect timing as not many clothes in wardrobe that fit now due to weightloss)
    Money made in 2018 1556.43 Money made in 2019 1071.99
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 2nd Oct 19, 5:33 AM
    • 3,067 Posts
    • 20,882 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Wow, they're are great wins there Ziggy

Dawn sounds like my DH and yours are unfinished item brothers I just don't get the logic, but hey ho, I'll happily finish them off.

Up early again, but have been productive and put a second load of washing on and ordered some presents for the c word. 4 gifts, 24 spent and 2 cb tracked updated my present sheet too. Off to research another gift shortly.

Other things today:
    Move some money to meet paying in requirements of an account
    Check to see if the money from some shares I sold are pending in my account
    Leftovers for lunch - I can highly recommend Mary b quick fish pie with crumble topping, really easy to make and most yummy.
    Portion veggie curry I made in sc yesterday and freeze
    Pick more fruit
    Bought 50g less meat from butchers for tonight's tea, let's see if it's noticeable between us
    Update food spends
    Reconcile just for points credit card - seems I have 20 in reward vouchers due
    Check online re PP I claim, had a message last week to say they had found some not expecting much but something would be most welcome

Have a good day all. Purps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,381Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter