Extra Leg room seat rip off on TUI

So I booked extra leg room seats for my 9hr flight with TUI on their dreamliner at a cost of £220 only to find out that the only thing we get is an extra 2 inches in seat space in front of us!!!!!

Apparently it's my fault that I should've noticed the difference between extra seat space and extra leg room. I've tried complaining but they won't entertain a refund and the flight is full so they won't move me either.

Anyone have any knowledge of this and whether it's worth complaining about or should we just swallow it? They argue that it's in their T&C's but my complaint is that it's not clear what you get and that a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.

fuming

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So are you saying that it's advertised as 'extra leg room' but you really get a wider seat or that you bought 'extra seat space' when extra leg room was also an available option?

If it was the latter and faced with two options you chose the wrong one then I wouldn't think that you have a case. To me, extra seat space is a tactful way of offering a bigger seat for the overweight. ;)
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hang on, if the seat is 2 inches further from you in front surely that means more room for the legs? Or am I being thick?
  • SeatGuru does show TUI's Dreamliners as having a number of rows considered as extra legroom (and they are not exit rows), and when doing a fake booking now the TUI site (and confirmed via TUI's help pages) says you will have the option to choose your seats from a seat map.

Where were you flying to though, and we can take a look at the specific plane you will be on.

Note - according to TUI, their additional space seats are likely to be emergency exit rows, bulkhead seats, or those where you get additional space due to the curvature of the plane.

ETA: TUI's site does also state that an additional leg room seat will give you an additional two inches of seat pitch.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,014
    Forumite
    tony863 wrote: »
    and that a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.
    Why would you assume that? Just probably means you are in a row with a widow exit and hence a wider spacing to allow quick evacuation.
  • bradders1983
    Forumite
    I wouldnt assume that at all either. Easyjet offer extra legroom seats slap bang in the middle of the plane, yes you have people in front, but they have extra legroom.

Surely when the OP booked these seats he was able to pick from a seat map?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am sorry to say the TUI brochure in front of me is quite clear

"Extra legroom seats give you up to 2 inches on your seat pitch plus priority access to online check-in"

and that appears to be what they are offering. This may well be at least partially pointless since if you pay for extra legroom seats I assume you don't need priority check-in since the seats are already chosen? And I don't like the words 'up to' either but it seems there may be nothing you can do now except let everyone know to read the terms before signing away your money!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,541
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    You did get more legroom though.
    Just because you thought no one would be in front of you was a mistake on your side.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    tony863 wrote: »
    So I booked extra leg room seats for my 9hr flight with TUI on their dreamliner at a cost of £220 only to find out that the only thing we get is an extra 2 inches in seat space in front of us!!!!!

Apparently it's my fault that I should've noticed the difference between extra seat space and extra leg room. I've tried complaining but they won't entertain a refund and the flight is full so they won't move me either.

Anyone have any knowledge of this and whether it's worth complaining about or should we just swallow it? They argue that it's in their T&C's but my complaint is that it's not clear what you get and that a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.

fuming

I am not sure that any reasonable person would assume that extra leg room means you are in the front row only ? I often book extra leg room and it's usually the front few rows set slightly further apart, plus the over wing exit rows - where there is plenty of leg room for obvious reasons.

OP I think you have exactly what you paid for and what any reasonable person would assume was being offered.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tony863
    tony863 Posts: 380
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    https://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/info/seats-with-extra-legroom

https://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/info/seats-with-extra-space

flying dreamliner to DR.

the point is not whether I've made the mistake or not (I admit I have). I just feel their descriptions should include that it is just a standard seat. the price paid should represent more than a standard seat and a 'benefit' of 2 inches isn't a fair representation.

my point about being reasonable is based on how law works ie, what would a person on the street think they were getting for the money. I accept that the website says you get 2" extra but when their response is that I should've read T&C's, that's something I wonder about challenging.

If ABTA (or whoever) think the description vs cost is misleading they could find in my favour.
  • bradders1983
    Forumite
    Can only assume the OP is in rows 30-36 of this one:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thomson_Airways/Thomson_Airways_Boeing_787-8.php

Was the row number not a small clue?

OP - was the seatmap you were presented with when booking not a clue either?
    If you think anyone would find in your favour here, then sorry you are having a laugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure