AMAZON age restricted

Options
[FONT=&quot]I ordered vermouth from Amazon - it was delivered to my front door - a detached house with clear numbering and street address.

I am 62 years of age, and look my age.

To my surprise and disgust I was unconditionally told to provide physical evidence of my date of birth. Before my purchase could be handed over.

[/FONT]I have received wine and whisky in earlier Amazon deliveries and only gave a signature for receipt. [FONT=&quot]Supermarkets and their home deliveries use discretion in regard to a persons age. I have never been confronted with a request for physical evidence of my date of birth ![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I understand the reason for law in regard to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]alcohol available on Amazon.co.uk being age restricted. However, I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]have received no clear understanding of what Amazons’ policy is in this respect. One response from customer services refers to valid photo identification – this does not address my issue – and surely in my case a photo to confirm my age would be inappropriate/unnecessary. [/FONT]Amazons policy appears to be muddled
Referring to a second message from Customer services - I don’t recall giving permission for your carrier to contact me direct in regard to my issue. I do not wish to be contacted by or have any involvement with your carrier !
Q. how does this comply with Data Protection Act ?
[FONT=&quot]Q. what is the clear Amazon policy for alcohol sales/deliveries ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UK does not have ID cards (compulsory in France since Nazi occupation in 1940), and many people would find it hard to provide physical evidence of their date of birth if they do not drive or have travelled abroad. A birth certificate isn’t something I imagine readily to hand either.

So my advice to all Amazon customers over 21 is do not purchase any alcohol beverage from Amazon, or Amazon Pantry it’s supermarket arm. Else, suffer possible embarrassment/ harassment, and Ageism. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some may be flattered to be asked for evidence of age - at my age I am beyond such.

[/FONT]

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get a citizens card that has photo id that i would suspect would be suitable ID for verifying your age.

Im not seeing where any embarrassment/harassment or ageism against you is? Its an age restricted product and they are confirming your age before allowing you to take it. Id say it was more ageist and embarrassing for you if they didnt ask you for it but then i dont feel the need to be indignant about things that arent worth being indignant about.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DAvidWells wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]have received no clear understanding of what Amazons’ policy is in this respect. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Their requirements sound pretty clear -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200422990
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow. So presumably they won't deliver DVDs of films with an 18 certificate unless photo ID is provided.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the courier handed it over to someone under age he would be liable to prosecution.

Asking for ID covers him that you are the person who ordered the goods claiming to be over 18 and not that person's mother/gran/ friend etc
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My mother would have kept the poor courier waiting 20 minutes whilst she found it
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Moglex
    Moglex Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »

Clear, and quite wrong.

They state:

"Valid photographic ID and a signature of the recipient will be required upon delivery for all customers. "

I have several age restricted items and have never been asked for Id.

I suspect that what has happened here is that Amazon have, quite correctly, made the courier very aware of their responsibilities, but the courier has misunderstood the instructions (or taken the above quoted sentence at face value) and felt he must ask for Id, even when the person is clearly way over the limiting age.

However, I can't see why anyone would feel embarrassed or discriminated against.

The worst that any onlooker would think is that the courier was being a little over zealous.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, Im gutted as well. Im in my 60s and look it.

Ive only used my bus pass 3 times since I got it as I usually drive. But on all 3 occasions Ive got the bus they just let me get on, not once have they asked to see my ID to prove my age despite me lingering a while before sitting down just in case the driver has forgotten.

Disgusting I call it!
  • whitegoods_engineer
    Options
    Ridiculous jobsworthiness at its worst.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I like it at Tesco when you have to get booze approved for purchase, when they go into the console there is an option "Purchaser is obviously over 21". :D
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    Given the way that Amazon treat their drivers, who barely have enough time to check that it's going to the correct address before they have to rush off the the next drop, I'm not surprised they insist on seeing ID no matter how old you look. They don't want to trust the judgement of a driver who is, very likely to be, exhausted, sleep deprived etc. I'd imagine the driver has to tick a box or something to confirm he's seen your ID. It certainly is ridiculous, but on the other hand it's ridiculous to everybody, even handedly, so we all suffer the same stupid policy. Not ageism, just the way the law works in this country.

I personally have had to show ID in stores to purchase kitchen knives, alcohol and one time a corkscrew. In fact, last year I was asked for ID while trying to buy petrol - for a car that I was driving at the time, which was frankly ridiculous. I'm a little over 30 and I definitely in no way look like a teenager, so there's no denying that it's irritating, but it's just one of the many inconveniences of modern life. Like most people I do have proof of ID and my D.O.B. If you don't have a driver's licence or passport I would imagine you run into a problem with a lack of ID quite frequently, there's a lot of things that require it these days.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback