Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 20th Nov 07, 8:10 AM
    • 4,218Posts
    • 8,039Thanks
    larmy16
    Our Romantic "Value" Meal for Two
    • 20th Nov 07, 8:10 AM
    Our Romantic "Value" Meal for Two 20th Nov 07 at 8:10 AM
    I met a guy off the internet, we talked for six months and have been going out for nine! The great thing is he is a natural Oldstyler. He came, complete with breadmaker and EasiYo!!!! How amazing is that???

Anyways, we were having a laugh yesterday about making a meal entirely from value products and we are going to do it. This is our menu but we may need some help and would value (get it) your suggestions.

Starter

Prawn Cocktail salad (Can you get value prawns?)
    Sauce made with value tomato sauce and value mayonnaise

Main Meal

Spaghetti Bolognese
    (using value mince, value mushrooms and a jar of value sauce)
    Value Cheese
    Value spaghetti
    Value herbs

Dessert

Value Apple Pie
    with either
    Value Ice Cream or Value Custard.

Washed down with Value Lager or Wine (do they do this?)

We thought if it works out ok we would try some other menus from the value range.

What value menu would you have? Also if possible could you state name of supermarket. I shop mainly at Sainsburys and Morrisons. He uses Tescos.

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 27-11-2007 at 8:17 PM.
    Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

Page 1
    • mirandamayhem
    • By mirandamayhem 20th Nov 07, 8:42 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    mirandamayhem
    • 20th Nov 07, 8:42 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 8:42 AM
    how fab!
    Let us know how it goes. I want to learn to become more OS!
  • JenniO
    • 20th Nov 07, 8:43 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 8:43 AM
    my partner and i had a laugh the other night coz we had the basics range of cheese (4 kinds), reduced organic french loaf baguette, basics rose wine all from sainsburys one night! It was very romantic with candles actually and tasted fabulous!
  • rach
    • 20th Nov 07, 9:16 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 9:16 AM
    yes they do do value prawns
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010
  • Stephen Leak
    • 20th Nov 07, 9:17 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 9:17 AM
    Yes, you can get "value" prawns. Sainsbury's do them. They are a bit small, but otherwise OK.
    • lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 20th Nov 07, 9:21 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    • 20th Nov 07, 9:21 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 9:21 AM
    Sounds great! Yes you can get value prawns, they're smaller but they tase just fine, you can also get value seafood sauce.

Jenni O, sometimes i get something nice for tea, all from the RTC section (we had Asda's Thai stuff the other week), then light candles and bring a huge blanket downstairs for me and OH to snuggle under. He thinks i'm being romantic but i'm just saving on the gas and leccy

Kate xxx
  • AussieLass
    • 20th Nov 07, 10:16 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 10:16 AM
    Can't give you any advice from over here obviously but just popped in to say that I'm so happy you've found someone like minded and hope you have a lovely value packed evening. You deserve it Larmy16.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• bulchy
    • 20th Nov 07, 10:58 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 10:58 AM
    What a great idea. We've had the value wine from sainsbury's, it was in a box, reduced of course :rolleyes: unsure if you can get it in bottles though. It was nice.
    Let us know how you get on, it sounds fun, I might challenge to OH to something like this, as I've just opened the bank statement and I'm not happy with what I've seen
    Sue
  • JenniO
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:05 AM
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:05 AM
    Mine was the spanish rose table wine from sainsburys in a bottle for 2.56! It was fab!
    • Badger_Lady
    • By Badger_Lady 20th Nov 07, 11:07 AM
    • 6,291 Posts
    • 8,370 Thanks
    Badger_Lady
    I've bought Tesco Value prawns for the cat before, but as a veggie I wouldn't know whether it's a good idea!

One thing - I did try Tesco Value pasta sauce once... if the value bolognaise sauce is anything like it, don't bother! It was really minging - tasted like it had already been eaten IYKWIM. Much better to buy fresh tomatoes and make your own sauce :-)

Tesco Value frozen apple pie is fab, though - delish!
    Mortgage | 132,000
    Unsecured Debt | 7,000 0
    Lodgers | |

• Gingham Ribbon
    Enjoy!

I think we'll do the same this week. Great idea!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 20th Nov 07, 11:38 AM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    You can definately get value lager, it was in the papers this week because do-gooders were complaining it was only 22p a can and encourages binge drinking.:rolleyes:
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Meanymoo
    Sainsbury's Basics red wine is about 2.20 a bottle. We buy it at this time of year, but I have to say it's not great to drink on its own. HOWEVER...the reason we buy it at this time of year is that it's perfect for mulled wine. Chuck a bottle in your slow cooker or large saucepan on a low heat, add (value) orange cut in half and studded with a few cloves, a cinnamon stick , a tablespoon of sugar and a bit of water and drink when hot. The spices are the only things that aren't basics / value, but you may have them in your cupboard already.

I haven't tried the basics white wine, but it may be drinkable with some basics soda or lemonade as a spritzer?
  • Meanymoo
    Forgot the ginger - a little grated fresh ginger or a sprinkling or ground ginger.
  • Olliebeak
    For a very basic bolognese sauce, saute a chopped onion with some crushed garlic, saute a couple of chopped mushrooms, fry off 1/2lb minced beef (drain the excess fat), put all back into the pan, add a tin of tomatoes (chopped value ones of course ), a spoonful of dried mixed herbs (or fresh if you have them) and squeeze of tomato puree (IF you want to - but not necessary). Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 20 mins. While that's cooking you can do the spaghetti after about 10 mins.

For me personally, I don't like the 'rich tomatoeyness' of a proper bolognese sauce - but I can happily eat this version!

My version of chilli is made in exactly the same way but adding a tin of red kidney beans in chilli sauce, some sliced red peppers (or chillies if you like more heat) and some extra chilli powder and paprika (also a tin of mixed bean salad to bulk it out further). The chilli mix usually does the two of us with plenty left over to go on jacket potatoes on another occasion.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 20th Nov 07, 12:43 PM
    • 10,160 Posts
    • 16,592 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Must admit I wouldn't buy value spaghetti again, it was very stodgy and chewy. For the extra 15-20p I would get own brand, rather than spoil the meal.

The rest of it sounds great though - good for you, and congrats on finding that rare thing, a bloke who watches the pennies!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• toria27
    • By toria27 20th Nov 07, 2:06 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    toria27
    Sainsbury's do a really nice value vanilla cheescake and I think it is nicer than their more expensive ones.
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 20th Nov 07, 2:15 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    My big problem at the moment is being angry with the supermarkets for paying ridiculous amounts of money to "celebrities" to advertise them. Meanwhile the customer is paying more and more for their food to cover the costs in addition to the increases due to the terrible summer etc. etc.

I think I will have to use Sainsburys as at least they seem to have stuck to Jamie Oliver and he does at least have some use.
    Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• sandy2
    • By sandy2 20th Nov 07, 2:23 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    Sainsbury's Basics red wine is about 2.20 a bottle...the reason we buy it at this time of year is that it's perfect for mulled wine.
    Originally posted by Meanymoo
    This is the recipe I use for mulled wine, here in Spain we can get some really cheap red wine which can be a bit 'rough', but this recipe is fine with it
    MULLED WINE

pint water
    4 oz. Sugar
    4 cloves
    2 inch stick cinnamon
    2 lemons
    1 bottle wine
    1 orange

Boil water, sugar and spices together. Add the lemons, stir and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Pour back into the saucepan and add red wine. Heat but do not boil. Strain the wine into a bowl and serve hot, decorated with orange and lemon slices. Makes about 1 pints

Another tip I was given about using cheapo red wine is to decant it (several times), pouring from as high as possible to get air into it, then serve at room temperature or slightly higher
  • jcr16
    value larger is quit enice from tesco ( morrisons value larger was a bti like vinegar)

but in our mega skint days we had value larger with vaue lemonade as a treat. and it was really nice. i often still buy it. as i don't drink to get drunk , but i enjoy the taste. if that makes sence.

as for the value spag bol sauce, might be nicer and maybe cheaper to maker your own. i've bought it once and it wasn't very nice.

but a romantic value meal for 2 can certainly be done and after all it about spendning time together., not the amount of money spent on the food. just enjoy your evening together.

menu u got planned does sound yummy tho.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter