Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FusionFury
    • By FusionFury 5th Jun 19, 7:34 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 31Thanks
    FusionFury
    Can A Landlord's Mortage Refuse To Rent To A Disabled Person On Benefits But Accept Retired People?
    • 5th Jun 19, 7:34 PM
    Can A Landlord's Mortage Refuse To Rent To A Disabled Person On Benefits But Accept Retired People? 5th Jun 19 at 7:34 PM
    Is this legal? surely that's discrimination.. I don't see the difference between disabled and retired people.. disabled people it is not a life choice..

I feel I'm punished for been disabled.. it makes me really depressed as I was born this way and getting punished for it..

The landlord said his mortgage provider won't accept people on benefits but the previous tenants was retired elderly couple.. what's the difference and is there anything I can if this isn't legal!?

I'm trying to figure out of this is an excuse by the landlord not to rent to me or if the mortgage provider actually is so anti-disabled..

I can understand not accepting people on benefits (drinkers/drug users etc who might wreck the property) but I have a diagnosed disability.. surely that changes the rules otherwise most disabled people would be homeless!?
    Last edited by FusionFury; 05-06-2019 at 7:37 PM.
Page 9
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Jun 19, 10:28 PM
    • 5,986 Posts
    • 5,529 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    Yet they haven't been back..
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Jun 19, 1:03 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    Socajam
    Also bear in mind that the landlord's insurance will increase.
    I know for a fact if I let to someone on benefits my insurance will be higher.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 13th Jun 19, 5:03 PM
    • 4,686 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    westernpromise
    The reasons not to let to those on benefits keep piling up:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48625914?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business&link_location=live-reporting-story
    If the tenant claims to have spent the rent on food for the kids, a court will consider that reasonable. How long before courts decline to evict benefit tenants in arrears who claim the same?
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 13th Jun 19, 5:06 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    Socajam
    I think it's just far easier to say no benefits for landlords? Rather than no benefits except.. 'insert cause here'

Your fight is probably with the insurance and mortgage companies to class the disabled benefit demographic as low risk tenants. If they are of course.

I've turned down families for being too large for the property. The risk of damage is too high.

There are exceptions to every rule but it's just easier to say no benefits.
    Originally posted by expatfred
    The insurance company charges more if someone is on benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,004Posts Today

7,634Users online

Martin's Twitter