PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 15th April 2019

Valli
Valli Posts: 24,760 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 April 2019 at 6:26AM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ Nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ Person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ Miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK - here goes this week...

Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers/Dining Room

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
Replace what lives there, wiping as you go
Empty bin and clean it out too
Wipe sill, sockets, door handles and switches
Clear and clean sink and accessories - don't forget those out-of-sight places - under plugs and under draining racks
Clean/polish table - wipe mats/change cloth
Check fruit and wash bowl
Throw away your manky dish cloth and replace with a new one!

Level 2

Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, not forgetting handles and tops and bottom as well as fronts!
Clean hob - thoroughly. Wash all detachable parts too.
Sort fridge and wipe seals; weave stuff that needs using up into your meal plan
Dust dining area/room

Level 3

Clean oven
Sweep/mop/vacuum floor
Wipe out or wash out whiffy bins
Clean windows

extras

MAD half hour call one or join one
If there's an area you need to work on/clear use your mad HalF Hour to do something towards your ultimate goal
HHI
S&S bathroom
Easter hols for some - make some time for yourself

Tuesday Twinkles - Brighten that bathroom

Level 1

Fling open the windows
Clear the bins, remove empties
Flush the loo and squirt something down it to start the cleaning process
Fling the towels in the WM
Vacuum extractor cover and/or wipe
Clean windows and mirrors
Top up loo roll holder
Wash/bleach pull cords - remove and soak!

Level 2

Clear lotions and potions from around bath and scrub inside and out.
Prod a brush down the plughole to remove the ratty tails
Polish the taps
Slug of bleach down the drain
Scrub the loo inside and out - and bleach it
Thoroughly clean bath taps and plugs - especially hair traps
Wipe shower head

Level 3

Scrub the sink
Polish the taps
Dust sills and shelves
Wipe anywhere fingers linger with a clean cloth or an anti-bac wipe
Mop the floor
Polish mirrors
Wash loo brush and let it dry outside in the sun, thus benefiting from the bleaching effect of the sun!

Extras

HHI
S&S kitchen
Sort out make up bag/box. Chuck anything that's been hanging around too long/you're not using and wipe what you're keeping and wash brushes and sponges
Double up on a recipe in your meal plan and freeze so that you can have a day off over Easter

Wednesday Hump Day - Lounge

Level 1

Open the window w-i-d-e even if only for five minutes
Empty the bin
Give the sofas and seats the once over - leather wipe or a just-damp cloth to move any marks
Lift and swap cushions and seat pads - vacuum underneath before replacing any; don't forget crevices and backs
Rinse and squeeze out the cloth and wipe sockets, switches and door handles
Ensure electricals are clean - and wipe those remote controllers, too

Level 2

Make sure coffee tables etc are cleared and cleaned and polished before replacing stuff neatly
Wipe any coasters
Dust all surfaces - don't forget the skirting boards
Give light fittings a dust, too
Check ceilings, covings etc for cobwebs
Deal with plants/flowers

Level 3

Vacuum the floor moving as much furniture as possible - don't forget the edges
Polish the windows - and the TV screen - and mirrors
Plump up cushions
Make sure that nothing is in here which doesn't live here

Extras

HHI
MAD half hour - Toots list?
S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
Join in an HHC - or call one!

Thursday - final full flying day this week

Level 1

Open the window
Strip the bed
Fling the sheets etc in the washbasket/machine - should be a good drying day!
Go and get your breakfast

Level 2

Dust the headboard or vacuum as appropriate
remake the bed
Clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe or any other clutter
Dust all horizontal surfaces - vertical too, if you have time
Polish any mirrors

Level Three

Clean the windows
Vacuum the floor
Make sure bedside cabinets are clear of clutter - both on them and in them
Use a damp cloth to wipe those lotion and potion bottles.

Extras

HHI

S&S bathroom
S&S kitchen

Good Friday

s&S kitchen
S&s bathroom
Dailies
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• dancemum
    dancemum Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I will do my best concidering the week ahead. Thanks for the thread and support x

Cutlery and utensil drawers cleaned whilst cooking dinner
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you Valli. I will do what I can this week. Must clear the study bedroom for DGS3+4 next weekend :D

Had a busy day today, so "morning off" tomorrow - it's officially church work, but I don't actually have to do anything except be at an event, and DH will take me out to lunch afterwards :)
  • Have been out twice to gigs, Friday and Saturday, Himself did a bit of work (for which he hasn't been paid by the person who promised pay on the day yet - GRRRRRRR) and, having lost half of last week to work, he now has a busy week, including rehearsals, another bit of work for the bloke who hasn't paid him for the first one :cool:, a big gig at the weekend and, apparently, an interview for a short term job at a very naice private school. However, he did cut my hair and dye it, so I am looking vaguely less like a human disaster zone than I have been recently.

Spent today lazing about, other than sending him out to get proper food, as the last couple of days has meant snacks grabbed at opportune moments. He's now upstairs doing whatever he is supposed to do in preparation for the interview.

Level 1

[STRIKE]Clear sides and wipe down
    Replace what lives there, wiping as you go[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Wipe sill, sockets, door handles and switches[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Clear and clean sink and accessories - don't forget those out-of-sight places - under plugs and under draining racks
    Throw away your manky dish cloth and replace with a new one![/STRIKE]

Level 2

[STRIKE]Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, not forgetting handles and tops and bottom as well as fronts!
    Dust dining area/room[/STRIKE]

Level 3

Clean oven
    [STRIKE]Sweep/mop/vacuum floor[/STRIKE]
    Clean windows

extras

[STRIKE]S&S bathroom[/STRIKE] Had to do this to remove hairdye, as it looked as though we had a serial killer in our midst.
    Easter hols for some - make some time for yourself
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Bin out, recycling out.

Due to the unwelcome AF visit and hairdying, I've also bunged a load of bedding and towels in a hot wash, now in the TD.

Also descaled, scrubbed and disinfected the Felines' Little Box of Evil and refilled it with an entire bag of litter, plus a few handfuls of unused Hamster Bedding. The little rodenty wotsit has been dead for two years, so I'm sure he won't mind too much and the instant cat smell of a visit has been eliminated as far as I can tell.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm in - thanks Valli :A

I did manage to do a fair bit last week but not as much as I wanted to :o

This week's priority is to clear the hallway which is full of stuff for homeless shelter, charity shop, Rainbows and school as well as rubbish!!

Will aim for a few bits from each day's list too . . . . .

Manic Monday - Kitchen Kapers

Level 1

Clear and clean sink and accessories

Level 2
    Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts

Level 3
    Vacuum floor
    Clean window

extras
    MAD half hour - hallway
    [STRIKE]Easter hols for some - make some time for yourself[/STRIKE]; Mon - cinema; Tues - lunch with J; Weds - lunch with D!!
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,890 Forumite
    I’m in. Thank you Valli, and Natty for last week. Dinner cooked, kitchen tidied, pack ups done. Yay it’s a 4 day week coming.
    ((Hugs)) dancemum.
  • Mademoiselle
    Mademoiselle Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Trying again this week. Although going to holiday house on Tuesday afternoon as have workmen in there Wednesday and Friday and friends arriving Thursday for a long weekend. I spring cleaned it last time we were there so should be ok, although the grass will need cutting. Here place is nice and tidy downstairs, washing is under control. Need to meal plan and shop for OH & DD1 who are staying here until Friday. Also need to get DD2 to pack her stuff up to go back to uni straight from holiday house.

Must also make sure admin is up to date and get insurance claim sent off.

Not at work until 6pm so should be able to get on with some stuff

Hugs to all
  • Morning all.
    Last day of completely solo parenting today - hubby back Friday, but the Childminder is taking the strain tues, wed & thurs.

This morning:
    Beds made
    Dw empties
    Wm- dirties in, but not full so will go on tonight or in the morning.
    Breakfast made
    Day bags sorted.

Today is:
    cinema trip with small
    Sort work bag for tomorrow (some schools have random holidays round here)
    Keep Pickle alive.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Hello,
    Am I ok to join in please?
    I've been trying to follow the American version of flylady without much success. I'm hoping that dealing with each room each week, like you do here, instead of each month will help.
    I work term time so am off at the moment & DD2 is going to an origami workshop this morning so I can try to get a head start.
    Lou x

Level 1
    Wipe sill, sockets, door handles and switches
    Clear and clean sink and accessories - don't forget those out-of-sight places - under plugs and under draining racks
    Throw away your manky dish cloth and replace with a new one!

Level 2
    Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, not forgetting handles and tops and bottom as well as fronts!
    Dust dining area/room

Level 3
    Clean oven
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor
    Wipe out or wash out whiffy bins
    Clean windows

extras
    S&S bathroom
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,419 Forumite
    Hello,
    Am I ok to join in please?
    Of course! Welcome, noendinsight :wave:

Just passing time while I hold on for Customer Services... no change in my queue position for 5 minutes :(

I have S&S'd the kitchen and got a load of washing together.

Ah, just gone up a place in the queue. Back later!

(((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed xx
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I keep trying to be in but fall after the first couple of days but here we go again.
    1 x WM 1XDW
    Robot cleaning master bedroom and landing
    S&S bathroom & ensuite and downstairs WC; wash hand towels
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills