Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 1:40 PM
    • 147Posts
    • 33Thanks
    lesta1980
    53 WOW
    pot hole on motorway caused a missed flight
    • 4th Mar 19, 1:40 PM
    53 WOW
    pot hole on motorway caused a missed flight 4th Mar 19 at 1:40 PM
    Hope this is in the correct place but need some advice please.

Wife was in a taxi heading to the airport when it hit a pot hole or something on the m1 which was a result of the roadworks (motorway recovery told my wife that). It resulted in my wife missing here flight. Had to book a hotel and stay at the airport and catch the same flight the next day, only had 1 seat in business class which cost 3500.

Problem was her initial flight had been booked with an agent who said it was non-refundable or transferable so BA said they couldn't do anything either.

Just checked her insurance and it seems to only cover 500 so obviously I'm going to be well out of pocket for something well out of my control. Whats the best thing to do to try and get a decent outcome?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 13-03-2019 at 9:04 AM.
Page 1
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Mar 19, 1:59 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 4th Mar 19, 1:59 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 1:59 PM
    Did she attempt to call another taxi to pick her up? Did she have insurance
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 4th Mar 19, 2:15 PM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 4th Mar 19, 2:15 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 2:15 PM
    No chance. Should have thought of that before booking a flight for 3500 or purchased insurance that covers you for 3500 or more for a missed departure caused by the transport breaking down on a motorway. Usually no more than 1000.
    So no, it was your/her choice to take a BC flight.
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 2:53 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    • 4th Mar 19, 2:53 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 2:53 PM
    Did she attempt to call another taxi to pick her up? Did she have insurance
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    Yes, by the time they got taken off the motorway and called a local firm it was too late. Her insurance only covers up to 500
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 2:54 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    • 4th Mar 19, 2:54 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 2:54 PM
    So no, it was your/her choice to take a BC flight.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    it was the only seat on the plane available, so it was either that or miss out on a holiday all together
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Mar 19, 3:02 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:02 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:02 PM
    Yes, by the time they got taken off the motorway and called a local firm it was too late. Her insurance only covers up to 500
    Originally posted by lesta1980
    I assume given it was a BA flight that only goes daily this was a long haul flight that suggests being at the airport 3/4 hours beforehand, must have taken ages for someone to arrive in that case.
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 3:07 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:07 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:07 PM
    I assume given it was a BA flight that only goes daily this was a long haul flight that suggests being at the airport 3/4 hours beforehand, must have taken ages for someone to arrive in that case.
    Don't know the full timings as wasn't there but from it happening then getting took off the motorway trying to fix it then waiting for a local taxi to turn up it all adds up to some time. Happened to 3 other cars as well all around the same time
    • Westin
    • By Westin 4th Mar 19, 3:45 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Westin
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:45 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:45 PM
    Did your wife not approach the BA staff at the departure airport and seek assistance?

That is quite a jump up to (3500) for another flight seat. Not sure I would have been so bold as to book that without trying my luck with the BA airport staff or at least checking that the insurance would cover it. I fear she will be down 3,000 on her trip.
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 3:53 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:53 PM
    • 4th Mar 19, 3:53 PM
    Did your wife not approach the BA staff at the departure airport and seek assistance?

That is quite a jump up to (3500) for another flight seat. Not sure I would have been so bold as to book that without trying my luck with the BA airport staff or at least checking that the insurance would cover it. I fear she will be down 3,000 on her trip.
    Originally posted by Westin
    she went straight to the desk but it was too late
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 4th Mar 19, 3:54 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    bradders1983
    she went straight to the desk but it was too late
    So she didnt go to the customer service desk afterwards?
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 3:58 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    So she didnt go to the customer service desk afterwards?
    of course she did, they told her the only thing she could do was go online and book the flight for the next day.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 4th Mar 19, 4:00 PM
    • 11,941 Posts
    • 26,091 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    We always factor in time for something like that happening or stay in a hotel the night before.

Must have rubbed off on our son as last time he was flying to the USA he left the bag with the passports in his car that he had parked up at the house of the people they were travelling with.

He still made his flight.
    • photome
    • By photome 4th Mar 19, 4:04 PM
    • 13,916 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    photome
    of course she did, they told her the only thing she could do was go online and book the flight for the next day.

is the next day, the flight she booked?

was there anything available with any other airline, from any other departure airport?

how long did she allow for the journey to the airport
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 4th Mar 19, 4:05 PM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 3,377 Thanks
    comeandgo
    i don't think there is anything you can do, other than take the 500. If your wife had not taken the expensive flight then the 500 may have covered the cost.
    Why did she not look at splitting the flight? Fly to an airport that did have a connecting flight to your destination? She seems to have gone into sheep mode and not questioned or thought out what to do.
    • photome
    • By photome 4th Mar 19, 4:06 PM
    • 13,916 Posts
    • 9,448 Thanks
    photome
    We always factor in time for something like that happening or stay in a hotel the night before.

Must have rubbed off on our son as last time he was flying to the USA he left the bag with the passports in his car that he had parked up at the house of the people they were travelling with.

He still made his flight.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR

Us too

i always try and get to the airport 3 hours before the flight and always allow at least double the normal travel time for the jurney.

I am often asked why do you need to leave so early, maybe I should point those people who ask, to this thread
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 4:08 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    is the next day, the flight she booked?

was there anything available with any other airline, from any other departure airport?

how long did she allow for the journey to the airport
    Originally posted by photome
    the only flight available was with BA the next day, there was nothing else at all
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 4:10 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    i don't think there is anything you can do, other than take the 500. If your wife had not taken the expensive flight then the 500 may have covered the cost.
    Why did she not look at splitting the flight? Fly to an airport that did have a connecting flight to your destination? She seems to have gone into sheep mode and not questioned or thought out what to do.
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    There wasn't anything available
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 4th Mar 19, 4:18 PM
    • 6,480 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    spadoosh
    There wasn't anything available
    There was no compulsion to buy a 3500 plane ticket.

This is what most people are stuggling with. Its not that common for one persons holiday to cost more than 3500. Even if it did surely an additional 3500 for the plane ticket makes up a massive portion of the total holiday cost.

Why has she paid 3500 extra to go on this holiday? Why didnt she just call it quits? Did she only pay it on the basis that she thought she would get it refunded because thats going to be a mistake.
    Don't be angry!
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 4th Mar 19, 4:24 PM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    it was the only seat on the plane available, so it was either that or miss out on a holiday all together
    So you say.
    Perhaps you can let us know the destination and when.Seems that you have made quite a few posts but left out that really interesting info.
    I can assure you that everyone reading this thread wants to know. Some exclusive destination? New Zealand just before New Year?
    Let's hope it was worth the 3k.
    • lesta1980
    • By lesta1980 4th Mar 19, 4:24 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lesta1980
    So you say.
    Perhaps you can let us know the destination and when. Some exclusive destination? New Zealand just before New Year?
    Let's hope it was worth the 3k.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Of course I say, it was St Lucia when the cricket was on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,614Posts Today

8,271Users online

Martin's Twitter