Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 19th Dec 18, 8:30 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 9Thanks
    HappyUser
    0 WOW
    JUST EAT hideous charges
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:30 PM
    0 WOW
    JUST EAT hideous charges 19th Dec 18 at 8:30 PM
    Hello,

I noticed that Just Eat in my area introduced several food shops that traditionally never had delivery facilities.

These shops come with a hefty cost of £2 for delivery. A bit pricey considering they do e.g. 20 deliveries in an hour, but hey, you can say it's alright.

However, the poor consumers do not know what is really going on. Just Eat charges every food item of the shop, at least £1.75 more than the prices you pay at the shop!

Isn't this the most disgusting thing that a delivery company can do?

So, the poor customer orders like a couple of burger meals and they end up paying £5-6 more for the delivery!

That's absolutely a steal, is there any organisation to complain about these hideous practices?

They cannot overcharge the same thing, it should be illegal! They charge for delivery, which is fair, but they also inflate heavily the prices!!!

This company is really the most horrendous company ever. They made money out of nothing and now they heavily rip off people!
Page 1
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 19th Dec 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 10,186 Thanks
    Living proof
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:39 PM
    • 19th Dec 18, 8:39 PM
    I totally agree with HappyUser. I refuse to use them and call the shop direct, getting a free delivery and much cheaper prices. A total rip-off and there is no guarantee that the premises they work with have good hygiene ratings either.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 21st Dec 18, 8:55 AM
    • 8,142 Posts
    • 14,808 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 21st Dec 18, 8:55 AM
    • 21st Dec 18, 8:55 AM
    A good website with most of the takeaway menus is www.tastyfind.co.uk. Though from browsing a few of the takeaways, this website doesn't have the phone numbers to the takeaways. A quick Google search will get the number.

Yes Just Eat is a rip off. Here's some examples of prices of takeaways near me. First price is the takeway menu and the other is JE

Kebab takeaway
    L
    arge Lamb Shish Pitta Kebab - £5.40 £6.10
    10" Four Seasons Pizza £10.70 £11.50
    Beef halfpounder meal with cheese - £5 £5.40
    Saving if order direct £1.90

Chinese
    Half crispy aromatic duck £13.50 £14
    Szechuan Chicken £4.70 £5.50
    Lamb with Mushrooms £4.80 £5.60
    Large egg fried rice - £2.70 £3.20
    Prawn Thai Red Curry - £5.10 £5.80
    Saving if ordered direct £3.30

These prices are in takeaways in Leicestershire. So if you have a weekly takeaway most weeks, - you could be saving £120 a year if ordering directly - or getting 5-7 takeaways for 'free'
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 24th Dec 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 7,869 Thanks
    JCS1
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:06 PM
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:06 PM
    That will be due to having to pay fees to Just Eat, so the food shop puts their prices up to cover.
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 24th Dec 18, 7:40 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    HappyUser
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:40 PM
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:40 PM
    That will be due to having to pay fees to Just Eat, so the food shop puts their prices up to cover.
    Originally posted by JCS1

The problem is that hideous Just Eat company wants to get rich by providing a nonsense dirt cheap almost zero value service.
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 24th Dec 18, 7:58 PM
    • 5,306 Posts
    • 169,506 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:58 PM
    • 24th Dec 18, 7:58 PM
    Yes we had a look at Just Eat and for one of our chinese takeaways we use, for each item we added to the order, it put on an extra charge of 60p, so it would have been over £4 dearer than ordering it direct from the shop, so we didn't bother using it. Plus it added £2 delivery, whereas calling the shop direct, they only charge us £1.

Wouldn't ever use it.
    Last edited by Abbafan1972; 25-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Winging it since 1972

SW is like the Hotel California - "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave".
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 24th Dec 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 24th Dec 18, 8:18 PM
    • 24th Dec 18, 8:18 PM
    They've been around for years - surprised it's news to some!
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 24th Dec 18, 8:47 PM
    • 16,664 Posts
    • 23,600 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 24th Dec 18, 8:47 PM
    • 24th Dec 18, 8:47 PM

These shops come with a hefty cost of £2 for delivery. A bit pricey considering they do e.g. 20 deliveries in an hour, but hey, you can say it's alright.
    Originally posted by HappyUser
    Why isn't it all right?

How many deliveries per hour do you think one driver can manage? Minimum wage is £7.83 an hour.

Isn't this the most disgusting thing that a delivery company can do?
    Just Eat are not a delivery company.

That's absolutely a steal, is there any organisation to complain about these hideous practices?
    You mean is there someone who can force restaurants to stop overcharging Just Eat customers?

Yes, Just Eat. I can't imagine they'd be happy about it.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 24th Dec 18, 9:02 PM
    • 16,664 Posts
    • 23,600 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 24th Dec 18, 9:02 PM
    • 24th Dec 18, 9:02 PM
    A good website with most of the takeaway menus is www.tastyfind.co.uk. Though from browsing a few of the takeaways, this website doesn't have the phone numbers to the takeaways...
    '
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Interesting.

All that Tasty Find does is list restaurants and show a View Deal button. Click on that and you're given a choice between Just Eat (boo), Hungryhouse (owned by Just Eat) and Takeaway.com (who sold out their UK business to, err, Just Eat in 2016).

Of course, I haven't clicked every View Deal button.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 24th Dec 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    baza52
    https://www.just-eat.co.uk/help/article/204298552/what-s-the-just-eat-price-promise-all-about
    What’s the JUST EAT Price Promise all about?
    We guarantee you'll pay the same price for your meal ordered on Just Eat as you would ordering from the restaurant direct*. So, if you find your order placed on Just Eat advertised by the restaurant for less (either on a menu popped through your door or advertised anywhere online) then we'll send you double the difference in the form of a Just Eat voucher. That's our Price Promise to you.

*Excludes service charge, delivery fees and special offers.

How do I submit a new claim?
    Making a claim couldn't be easier. Simply pop your Just Eat order number into the form here and upload any links or photo evidence to show your order advertised by the restaurant cheaper elsewhere. It's as easy as that!

How long will it take the Price Promise team to get back to me?
    Once we've received your submission, we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

When will I receive my refund?
    If it turns out you have paid too much, our Price Promise team will aim to process your refund within five working days.

How will I receive my refund?
    Our Price Promise team will send you a Just Eat voucher code for double the difference, to be used on your next takeaway.

Can the refund be paid in cash?
    Unfortunately not. But don't worry, we'll be sending you double the difference in the form of a Just Eat voucher for your next takeaway.

How can I follow up on an existing claim?
    In the unlikely event you don't hear back from us, drop us an email to pricepromise@just-eat.co.uk and we'll be in touch right away.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 24th Dec 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 4,725 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 24th Dec 18, 9:46 PM
    • 16,664 Posts
    • 23,600 Thanks
    antrobus
    https://www.just-eat.co.uk/help/article/204298552/what-s-the-just-eat-price-promise-all-about
    What’s the JUST EAT Price Promise all about?
    We guarantee you'll pay the same price for your meal ordered on Just Eat as you would ordering from the restaurant direct*. So, if you find your order placed on Just Eat advertised by the restaurant for less (either on a menu popped through your door or advertised anywhere online) then we'll send you double the difference in the form of a Just Eat voucher. That's our Price Promise to you.

Originally posted by baza52
    Can't say I'm surprised. Their business model would not make any sense if it wasn't the case that restaurants were required to charge the same price.

So, if ScarletMarble really has discovered some takeaways in Leicestershire who are charging more for Just Eat orders they should now be very happy. They can order on Just Eat, and use the Price Promise to reclaim double the difference, and enjoy even cheaper half crispy aromatic ducks, or whatever.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 24th Dec 18, 9:56 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    baza52
    i had an email from them on friday with a 20% off code then on saturday got a 50% off code valid until the 2nd of Jan.
    Ill save loads of money ordering through them rather than going direct to the take away
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 24th Dec 18, 10:37 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    The problem is that hideous Just Eat company wants to get rich by providing a nonsense dirt cheap almost zero value service.
    Apart from the convenience of ordering online, paying online, (most takeaways I know are cash only, so another trip needed to the cash point) and delivery to your door.

No one is forced to use them, it's a choice.

Don't use them myself as I get 10% off for collection from most of my regulars and it's invariably quicker for me to collect anyway.
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 25th Dec 18, 4:37 AM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    They've been around for years - surprised it's news to some!
    Originally posted by flashg67

I used to stick to HungryHouse exclusively. Coverage not quite as good but their cut came out of the takeaway's margin (i.e. the takeaway treated it as an alternative form of advertising), rather than as an extra.

Then of course, they merged with JustEat.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 25th Dec 18, 11:03 AM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 3,917 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Maybe I'm completely missing the point of this complaint, but if I buy 4 pints of milk from the supermarket it costs a pound, if I get the milkman to deliver it I'd probably pay that for a pint. Provision of service with associated convenience comes at a cost.
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 25th Dec 18, 4:56 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    HappyUser
    The promise is not going to work as Just Eat charge more supposedly for their service.
    Last edited by HappyUser; 25-12-2018 at 4:59 PM.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 25th Dec 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    baza52
    The promise is not going to work as Just Eat charge more supposedly for their service.
    So DIY and walk or drive to the takeaway and get your food.
    Just eat is a service and nobody forces you to use it as others have said.
    I dont mind paying for delivery, i also pay for stamps to get letters delivered and postage for internet orders to reach my home.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 25th Dec 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    Dox
    Shop elsewhere. Sorted.
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 25th Dec 18, 10:15 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    HappyUser
    Maybe I'm completely missing the point of this complaint, but if I buy 4 pints of milk from the supermarket it costs a pound, if I get the milkman to deliver it I'd probably pay that for a pint. Provision of service with associated convenience comes at a cost.
    Originally posted by LadyDee

You don't understand that these horrible people also charge delivery fee and on top they inflate the prices as well.

I am sure you would not like that when you buy your pints.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,599Posts Today

6,084Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin