JUST EAT hideous charges

Options

Comments

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other thing to point out is that quite a few takeaways do different portion sizes for standard customers and smaller sizes for JE customers. Quite a few smaller takeaways pay 33% commission to JE. You7don't get something for nothing. Use the app and pay more.
    The man without a signature.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    The other thing to point out is that quite a few takeaways do different portion sizes for standard customers and smaller sizes for JE customers. Quite a few smaller takeaways pay 33% commission to JE. You7don't get something for nothing. Use the app and pay more.

"Cutting your nose off to spite your face" comes to mind. JE is a marketing tool (albeit an expensive one) to gain new and repeat customers who want convenience, but much cheaper than having their own app developed and maintained. If you upset the customers by attempting to make extra profit, they can very easily just choose somewhere else to order from the next time.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont believe this for 1 minute,
    If that were true people would not order from them and go elsewhere. JE lists just over 100 different take-away places in my delivery area with 77 offering free delivery.
    If i wasnt happy with a meal i would not order from that place again
  • Jumblebumble
    Options
    Our local Indian takeaway gives 10% off if you order direct and always throws in an extra dish free ( we are a family of 5 )
    They are 5 minutes form us
    No way would I accept delivery
  • HappyUser
    Options

33% commission is huge for the service Just Eat offers. Just Eat want to pay for their ridiculous acquisitions of every other takeaway company they bought, like HungryHouse etc. I really do hope customers realise the theft and rip off and Just Eat go bust soon. They got into AIM and dream to cashflow billions for a service that is dirty cheap and ridiculous. They have not even improved their website for ages with many basic features lacking. The worst example of ridiculous people calling themselve 'entrepreneurs'. We don't want such 'innovation' and 'business'.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »
    You seem to work for JE. Your posts stink.
    work for JE LOL.
  • HappyUser
    Options
    I don't use them, but am not surprised. They are built to make a profit, I personally would be surprised if you didn't have to pay service/delivery charges. It's a bit ridiculous to expect food to turn up at your home via a third party at exactly the same price as the place it comes from without extra charges.

Do you have a comprehension difficulty or something?
    The thread is not about JE charging delivery charges (they do for £2.50 in most cases).

The thread is about JE ADDITIONALLY inflating EVERY SINGLE price of the menus. So you not only pay delivery charges, but you also pay inflation.

And this inflation is not 10-20%. It can be 50% for a single order.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quite a few smaller takeaways pay 33% commission to JE
    Just Eat charge 13-14% plus VAT on the fee (not the order), so a maximum of 16.8%. If the restaurant is VAT registered, they don't pay the VAT.

Remember Just Eat are offering a service that restaurants seem to think their customers want (i.e. ordering on an app or website). No-one is forcing them to put themselves on Just Eat. They could easily market themselves locally, but obviously feel the extra business from Just Eat is worthwhile.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    I dont believe this for 1 minute,
    If that were true people would not order from them and go elsewhere. JE lists just over 100 different take-away places in my delivery area with 77 offering free delivery.
    If i wasnt happy with a meal i would not order from that place again

If people only used JE how would they know about portion sizes? And if the size was say 5-10% smaller most wouldnt really notice the difference anyway.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Also as I live alone, JustEat have minimum order amount which when ordering from directly from the takeaway, doesn’t have a minimum order

Id say that was fairly rare as most takeways i know have a minimum delivery.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback