Being a mature student, a very skint one..

Options
So I've decided to start a new diary, as of September I'll be a full time student again at the age of 29. I'm leaving my full time job, giving up my rented flat and moving across the country into a shared house.

I seem to have been in debt forever, I won't sugar coat it I've made some pretty terrible mistakes in the past but we live and learn. Link to old diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5574468

So I get a full student loan which is going to pay the majority of bills every month, I have a part time job sorted in a supermarket and will be getting a start date in September. I have applied for another job which would be better hours and more money but beggars can't be choosers so we will see what happens.

Now here is the hard bit, a list of debts;

- Car HP £6,881.09 (£141.00 PM)
- First direct loan £5,833.24 (£70.00 PM)
- Tesco CC £2,827.17 (£50.00 0% for 32 months)
- First Direct CC £399.92 (£30.00 0% till June 2019)

Total - £15,941.42 :eek:

I'm going to pay off the FD card first, of course at the moment I'm paying what I can and any extra money I have I'm saving to help with moving but I'm hoping I can pay that off completely in the next few months. I finish work at my full time job at the end of August, I will get my last full wage at the end of the month and hopefully that will include some back pay we are owed.

It's going to be a long slog but I will get there.

I'm going to keep rambling here as I find it helps :)

Welly x
:wave:

Comments

• JLS1901
    JLS1901 Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not back at work until tomorrow so I'm writing lists and sorting more stuff, funny how you have no idea how much stuff you have until you have to down size!!

I forgot to add I have a small emergency fund in place of £500 which will only be used for emergencies sounds silly saying that but we have all been there! I also need to make another £100 or so to buy some oil to fill up the tank before I leave.

Using an app to sell some clothes, making a few pounds here and there not loads but it all adds up right?

Welly x
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Happy new diary :). Sorting out a career move and your debts before you turn 30 - gold star! :money:
  • JLS1901
    Options
    Well I have had a few days off, they haven't exactly been productive as I've been feeling rubbish. Had a lazy day listening to Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover, he really speaks some sense.

Sold a few little things so made about £20 not much but better than nowt.

Back to work tomorrow for 3 days and we are really short so it's going to be mental. Only 8 more shifts to go.

Hoping I have enough money saved up by the end of September which will be the equivalent of my current wage so I will have until the end of October to be sorted with my job etc.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Options
    3 weeks today and I will have moved :eek::eek::eek:

So much to do and so little time to do it!! I've sold a few more things yesterday so that's another £20 to go in the pot.

I'm trying to find a charity or someone who has just got their own place and maybe doesn't have much. I have loads of kitchen utensils that I don't need and plates etc that might be useful to someone. I know you can get these things really cheap these days but I started with one set of cutlery one plate and a glass off my mum when I moved in here so it all helps!!

This next week is my last full week at work :eek: I'm so excited but terrified at the same time!! My student finance has been reconfirmed so that's good so just waiting on a start date for my job now.

I've also decided to start matched betting again, I found it so easy last time I kind of gave up due to my own patience as I didn't have a big bank roll to be doing the decent offers.

As the saying goes every little helps!

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Options
    Feeling stressed today :(

Hurt my back at work yesterday it's really sore. I'm sat here worrying about my debt and moving and starting a new job and uni. I'm so worried I won't be able to balance everything. I wish I could get my debt paid off faster but I'm taking a drop in income at least till I get into a routine with uni and my job.

Just feeling rubbish all round.

Welly x
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    I'm not surprised the stress has hit you, that's a lot of change all at once. Hang on to the fact that it's change which will enable you to do more - get a more interesting job, meet new people, make new plans :)
  • JLS1901
    Options
    Thanks Glenda, I am looking forward to it guess it's just the transition period! I've had a productive morning went to the doctors and got some antibiotics as I have a kidney infection, explains alot about feeling so rubbish!

Not much to report money wise, my mum came round yesterday and we washed all the curtains in my flat as my tenancy says to leave them clean not dry clean and they look lots better.

Waiting for some oil to come so need to pay for that, waiting for my final vodafone bill to go out of my account and my final talk talk bill.

Working this weekend then one day next week and that's it!! Crazy times :)

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Options
    Well I'm back successfully moved to lovely Lancashire, having a sort out of things as I still have too much stuff!!

I'm loving my room it's really nice and on a nice quiet street. My landlady is lovely and seems easy to get along with.

I'm waiting till after next week to start my job as I don't know what my timetable is yet probably will mean working every weekend but will have to see how it all goes. I shall post a speculative SOA shortly.

I'm excited to get going :)

Welly x
  • erin_transport
    Options
    Good luck.
    Exciting times.
    On a mission!

2018 & 2019 MFW #138

On babystep2 (#DR)
  • JLS1901
    Options
    Well things don't seem to be going to plan.. The job I've been offered they just seem to be messing me around. Still no start date and no one getting back to me when they say they will so to be on the safe side I'm applying for other things some within walking distance which would be ideal.

On the plus side I have my student loan which will be in the bank tomorrow so at least I know I can pay the rent. Still feeling like I haven't settled in here yet, managed to break something in the kitchen by accident and upset my landlady which made things awkward. I will pay for some new bowls no problem it's just a bit weird. Really hoping it gets better or it's going to be a long year....

Enjoying uni tho it's really good :)

Welly x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family