Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 9th Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    • 353Posts
    • 437Thanks
    wellylass89
    Being a mature student, a very skint one..
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    Being a mature student, a very skint one.. 9th Aug 18 at 4:41 PM
    So I've decided to start a new diary, as of September I'll be a full time student again at the age of 29. I'm leaving my full time job, giving up my rented flat and moving across the country into a shared house.

I seem to have been in debt forever, I won't sugar coat it I've made some pretty terrible mistakes in the past but we live and learn. Link to old diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5574468

So I get a full student loan which is going to pay the majority of bills every month, I have a part time job sorted in a supermarket and will be getting a start date in September. I have applied for another job which would be better hours and more money but beggars can't be choosers so we will see what happens.

Now here is the hard bit, a list of debts;

- Car HP 6,881.09 (141.00 PM)
    - First direct loan 5,833.24 (70.00 PM)
    - Tesco CC 2,827.17 (50.00 0% for 32 months)
    - First Direct CC 399.92 (30.00 0% till June 2019)

Total - 15,941.42

I'm going to pay off the FD card first, of course at the moment I'm paying what I can and any extra money I have I'm saving to help with moving but I'm hoping I can pay that off completely in the next few months. I finish work at my full time job at the end of August, I will get my last full wage at the end of the month and hopefully that will include some back pay we are owed.

It's going to be a long slog but I will get there.

I'm going to keep rambling here as I find it helps

Welly x
Page 1
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 10th Aug 18, 9:33 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:33 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:33 AM
    Not back at work until tomorrow so I'm writing lists and sorting more stuff, funny how you have no idea how much stuff you have until you have to down size!!

I forgot to add I have a small emergency fund in place of 500 which will only be used for emergencies sounds silly saying that but we have all been there! I also need to make another 100 or so to buy some oil to fill up the tank before I leave.

Using an app to sell some clothes, making a few pounds here and there not loads but it all adds up right?

Welly x
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 10th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    Happy new diary . Sorting out a career move and your debts before you turn 30 - gold star!
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 14th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    • 14th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    Well I have had a few days off, they haven't exactly been productive as I've been feeling rubbish. Had a lazy day listening to Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover, he really speaks some sense.

Sold a few little things so made about 20 not much but better than nowt.

Back to work tomorrow for 3 days and we are really short so it's going to be mental. Only 8 more shifts to go.

Hoping I have enough money saved up by the end of September which will be the equivalent of my current wage so I will have until the end of October to be sorted with my job etc.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Welly x
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 19th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    • 19th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 19th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    3 weeks today and I will have moved

So much to do and so little time to do it!! I've sold a few more things yesterday so that's another 20 to go in the pot.

I'm trying to find a charity or someone who has just got their own place and maybe doesn't have much. I have loads of kitchen utensils that I don't need and plates etc that might be useful to someone. I know you can get these things really cheap these days but I started with one set of cutlery one plate and a glass off my mum when I moved in here so it all helps!!

This next week is my last full week at work I'm so excited but terrified at the same time!! My student finance has been reconfirmed so that's good so just waiting on a start date for my job now.

I've also decided to start matched betting again, I found it so easy last time I kind of gave up due to my own patience as I didn't have a big bank roll to be doing the decent offers.

As the saying goes every little helps!

Welly x
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 22nd Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    • 22nd Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 22nd Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    Feeling stressed today

Hurt my back at work yesterday it's really sore. I'm sat here worrying about my debt and moving and starting a new job and uni. I'm so worried I won't be able to balance everything. I wish I could get my debt paid off faster but I'm taking a drop in income at least till I get into a routine with uni and my job.

Just feeling rubbish all round.

Welly x
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 23rd Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    • 23rd Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 23rd Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    I'm not surprised the stress has hit you, that's a lot of change all at once. Hang on to the fact that it's change which will enable you to do more - get a more interesting job, meet new people, make new plans
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 24th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    • 24th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 24th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    Thanks Glenda, I am looking forward to it guess it's just the transition period! I've had a productive morning went to the doctors and got some antibiotics as I have a kidney infection, explains alot about feeling so rubbish!

Not much to report money wise, my mum came round yesterday and we washed all the curtains in my flat as my tenancy says to leave them clean not dry clean and they look lots better.

Waiting for some oil to come so need to pay for that, waiting for my final vodafone bill to go out of my account and my final talk talk bill.

Working this weekend then one day next week and that's it!! Crazy times

Welly x
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 10th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    • 10th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 10th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    Well I'm back successfully moved to lovely Lancashire, having a sort out of things as I still have too much stuff!!

I'm loving my room it's really nice and on a nice quiet street. My landlady is lovely and seems easy to get along with.

I'm waiting till after next week to start my job as I don't know what my timetable is yet probably will mean working every weekend but will have to see how it all goes. I shall post a speculative SOA shortly.

I'm excited to get going

Welly x
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 10th Sep 18, 5:52 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    erin_transport
    Good luck.
    Exciting times.
    On a mission!

2018 MFW #138
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 20th Sep 18, 2:25 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Well things don't seem to be going to plan.. The job I've been offered they just seem to be messing me around. Still no start date and no one getting back to me when they say they will so to be on the safe side I'm applying for other things some within walking distance which would be ideal.

On the plus side I have my student loan which will be in the bank tomorrow so at least I know I can pay the rent. Still feeling like I haven't settled in here yet, managed to break something in the kitchen by accident and upset my landlady which made things awkward. I will pay for some new bowls no problem it's just a bit weird. Really hoping it gets better or it's going to be a long year....

Enjoying uni tho it's really good

Welly x
    • SeasideGirl
    • By SeasideGirl 20th Sep 18, 5:54 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    SeasideGirl
    Just had a read and wanted to say good luck!! I was a mature student twice, once in my late 30's and the second time more recently in my late 40's! Now I'm back at Uni again but working there

I'm sure you will feel more settled soon and once you & your landlady know each other better it will feel less awkward I'm sure. Fingers crossed for the right job nearby too.

SG
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 25th Sep 18, 5:21 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Just had a read and wanted to say good luck!! I was a mature student twice, once in my late 30's and the second time more recently in my late 40's! Now I'm back at Uni again but working there

I'm sure you will feel more settled soon and once you & your landlady know each other better it will feel less awkward I'm sure. Fingers crossed for the right job nearby too.

SG
    Originally posted by SeasideGirl
    Thanks SeasideGirl, I think it will be ok in time once I get into a routine and we get used to each other.

Still no luck with jobs but one I've applied for closes tomorrow and set the wheels in motion to sign up to the bank at the hospital.
    Also just applying for all sorts of other things as I just want to get working again I'm missing the routine.

I'm full of cold and feeling rubbish but busy doing the lots of homework we have.. it's only the second week I'm loving it tho

Welly x
    • SeasideGirl
    • By SeasideGirl 25th Sep 18, 6:43 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    SeasideGirl
    Glad it's an enjoyable start at Uni - our students have just started this week so they're at the 'overwhelmed with information' stage.
    Fingers crossed for the jobs - it's quite discombobulating not have a routine (or money,lol!)
    Sept 2018
    Virgin CC1..................... 3334...........33.34.....19.17 Virgin CC2..................... 5775...........57.75..... 0
    DFS Sofa....................... 251.84........41.98.....0 Wickes Kitchen..............3305.42...80.62....0
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 5th Oct 18, 12:09 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    That's another week done at uni I'm enjoying it so far but it's so much to take in my little brain is mashed!!

No luck on the job front yet but I've updated my CV and posted it on a few sites and I've applied for more retail jobs so hopefully something comes up..

Off back home to Yorkshire for the weekend as my sister is coming home for a week from the US.

Welly x
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Oct 18, 12:00 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Welcome back to Lancashire, Wellylass!

I've been away from the forums for a short while but look forward to reading your new diary!

It's great that you've gone back as a mature student, I am thinking of doing this at some point.

Good luck on the job hunting front ��

Chandelier.
    Current Debt: 0.

Check out my Diary
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 9th Oct 18, 6:53 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Welcome back to Lancashire, Wellylass!

I've been away from the forums for a short while but look forward to reading your new diary!

It's great that you've gone back as a mature student, I am thinking of doing this at some point.

Good luck on the job hunting front ��
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    Thanks Chandelier nice to see you back thank you for reading

Safe to say my fellow class mates and I are feeling the pressure a bit at the moment there seems to be someone in tears every day but it's really hard going but just got to keep thinking it will be worth it!!

Had a great time at home seeing family and friends I miss my sister a lot.

Off uni tomorrow so gonna apply for loads of jobs and catch up on jobs and do as much uni work as I can.

Welly x
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 10th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    So I had a voicemail left just now from someone at the supermarket asking if I'm still interested in a role there. I have to call back tomorrow, not sure if there has been a change around or what and that's the reason no one has been in touch?

Anyway I shall call them back tomorrow and see what they say, even if I just do one weekend day a week it's better than nothing and hopefully there will be a chance to do extra when I can, just hope they still want me!

I will do whatever I need to do to keep the money coming in and to be honest not working has been getting to me.

I might then be able to pay off some debt and be able to get sorted a bit.

For now back to a 60 slide powerpoint to look through for tomorrow.. the fun never stops

Welly x
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 31st Oct 18, 4:59 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Well I'm still here plodding on, the supermarket job never did come to anything got told they'd be in touch and heard nothing since. I do however have 2 interviews tomorrow, one at a small care home for LD and another at a shop/garage. Both are 30 mins away in the same village (opposite each other! one at 2pm one at 3pm so weird how it worked out like that!) but they are 5 mins from my boyfriends house and he is more than happy that I stay there when needed.

Haven't been able to pay any extra off the debt just been plodding along and getting uni work done.

So fingers crossed I get offered something after tomorrow, I really need to get back working!!

Welly x
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 1st Nov 18, 7:18 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Good luck for the interviews
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter