Being a mature student, a very skint one..

Options

Comments

• GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Hang on in there! This is only the start of your second term, yes? If you're struggling have a chat with your tutor. It may be that you're actually doing fine but are putting too much pressure on yourself.

You have just over a week for your next assignment - what's the length? Can you break it down into 4 or 5 chunks?
  • JLS1901
    JLS1901 Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hang on in there! This is only the start of your second term, yes? If you're struggling have a chat with your tutor. It may be that you're actually doing fine but are putting too much pressure on yourself.

You have just over a week for your next assignment - what's the length? Can you break it down into 4 or 5 chunks?

It's not necessarily the assignment I'm struggling with it's more the job.. I didn't appreciate how exhausting it would be and I'm being put under alot of stress already as we are so short staffed etc.. I don't want uni to suffer because of work.

I perhaps overlooked how full on it would be.

Feel like a failure.

Welly x
    :wave:
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    This isn't a very MSE comment I am about to make in the short term but it will be MSE in the long term. But here goes: if the job is too much don't do it. You might incur short term debt or discomfort but you won't actually starve. Prioritise the OT course as in the long term it will bring in more money and make you happier. Yes, explore other options such as talking to tutors and hardship grants etc, but don't waste time feeling sorry for yourself. You have done great so far.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Afternoon Welly,

I think all of the work you are doing is adding to your pressures of student life. I understand you need the money but also in the long term it does not seem sustainable whereas your new chosen career is. If it were me, I'd try and get onto the bank at your local hospital and work shifts around your other commitments. Plus if you do weekends there are the enhancements which help a little.

All the best, I struggled as a student nurse three years ago but all the hard work and effort paid off!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Hi welly good to see you posting again. Sorry to hear you've been snowed under and I agree with the other posters. Can you speak to your employer and explain deadlines/work load etc you're struggling with time. I'm sure they'd rather move you to bank rather you resign completely.

Remember to be kind to yourself. You've had a huge lifestyle shift abd you're doing really well. Juggling assignments and work must be really tough going, but it isn't for long. Your future really bright, I know you'll get through this x
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • JLS1901
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies I really appreciate them.
    My employer is aware of my situation and how I'm feeling but I guess rightly so my manager said that what I do at uni is of no relevance to them just whether I turn up for work or not.

I just feel so on edge all the time, I'm not work shy and certainly do want to work but I can't bare the thought of doing a 15 hour shift after 5 days on placement and only 1 day off for 5 weeks, it's too exhausting.

I emailed student services and they emailed me a form for the hardship fund but I can't apply as I have previous study and they expect you to have been able to have financial plans in place.

Already looking at full time seasonal jobs for summer - living by the coast has it's benefits.

On the plus I paid for a years car insurance in full today :)

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Options
    So it gets better... have had to phone in sick as got an awful sickness bug am feeling vile..

Surfaced out my room last night for a drink for my landlady to tell me she's giving me my notice soon and I'll have to move out in May.

Mentioned it to the OH who has mentioned me moving in before only to get some half hearted reply.. so will need to speak to him properly at the weekend and see where I stand..

It never rains it pours..

Welly x
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    I'm sorry Welly :(. Can your uni help with accommodation suggestions?
  • JLS1901
    edited 16 January 2019 at 10:48AM
    Options
    I'm sorry Welly :(. Can your uni help with accommodation suggestions?

My landlady has a friend who I might be able to move in with so that might not be so bad, she's even said I can move back in for my 3rd year if what she's sorting gets sorted.

I really need to speak to my OH, I thought we were at that point where it was just the natural thing to happen and he's asked me before but I turned him down as it was too soon.

We've just spoke once in a message about it the night she told me I need to move so obviously face to face is needed. It would take the pressure off both of us as I'd be helping with the bills but obviously if he doesn't want me to then we need to talk about where we are going..

Least after the weekend I'll know where I stand and what I'm going to do.. I guess the positive is if I don't move in with him I can try and find a cheaper room somewhere cheap to rent.

Welly x
  • JLS1901
    Options
    So I'm getting a phone call tomorrow from someone at the local council about a care job at an extra care living place.. it would be bank do can do when I want and they pay £1.94 an hour more than I'm on now..

Still need to speak to the OH properly but he's still got man flu so I've been keeping away..

Been at uni today, lots to do.. just writing some more of my assignment I'll be glad when this is done..

Welly x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport