Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ruthcain1
    • By ruthcain1 7th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 13Thanks
    ruthcain1
    Investment advice for person panicking about Brexit
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    Investment advice for person panicking about Brexit 7th Aug 18 at 3:26 PM
    I am a pretty ignorant investor who had a bit of cash to invest 3/4 years ago and just follwed some very basic advice on spreading risk etc, I believe from the telegraph. To my surprise (and probably because of underlying market conditions or luck I suspect) the value has gone up 38%. This is my current holding. I have what's now a total of about 70,000 split roughly between no 1 son's ISA (he is 15 so it matures pretty soon and is his), 23k in no.2 son's ISA (he is 11) and about 11500 in mine.

I am on HL for ease but may change this, if there is another suitable platform for someone inexperienced like me, as I hear it's overpriced.

As I'm increasingly panicking about my prospects post Brexit as I have chronic health issues and am only 45 but already down to part time work only, I've realised I need to sort this out.

I have been watching other advice threads closely and note that most small investors are being advised to ditch their various funds and just consolidate into one global. Twotonealex is being advised on which one right now, I am seeing support for a Blackrock fund.

The lowest two performing funds in my lot have consistently been the Aberdeen Latin American Equity and the Newton Asian income so I am thinking of ditching those in particular and swapping for something else but not sure where to choose.

My thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out. Any advisors who find themselves in the depths of SW London are welcome to pm me and request a free drink or 3.
Page 5
    • Mr Costcutter
    • By Mr Costcutter 10th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    Mr Costcutter
    I did spend some time writing for The Two Ronnies way back when.
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    With a name like 'Terry Towelling', I'm not at all surprised
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 10th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    With a name like 'Terry Towelling', I'm not at all surprised
    Originally posted by Mr Costcutter

You should meet my co-writer, 'Plastic Pants'.
    • ruthcain1
    • By ruthcain1 11th Aug 18, 9:14 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    ruthcain1
    Thanks so much for the fascinating discussion that's continued in my absence.
    I should let you all know a rather salient fact about my 'fashion' (hehe) portfolio. I gave the wrong return on it. The 38% related to one of my boys' portfolios- the one in which I have selected more lower risk investments ( I was being less careless than I remember).
    The return on my high risk one is more like 70%. And of course as someone who had never invested before that seems good to me, as would 38%. Because in prior years I'd have left it in savings accounts earning peanuts.

I also did use an IFA long ago with my ex husband and found that we gained nothing whatever from his advice. Indeed my kids lost out a lot from his advice to stick their child trust fund vouchers in The Children's Mutual. It was seeing the paltry return on that 'investment' that got me interested in takingm more risk.

Obviously, I don't like the fact that I have risked losing 70% in a crash, but it seems I have protected my older son's portfolio from that anyway.

Cheers to all who have given me lots to think about. I am genuinely grateful for the input. Am going to look more at an 80% ish equity fund for my ISA which is medium term (5-10 years) as I do intend to invest in some property in Ireland at some point, and downgrade from 80% to 60% equity for sons, eventually changing to lower risk nearer the point of cash in (only 3 years for no.1 son. gulp.)

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 12-08-2018 at 9:45 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

9,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin