We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Investment advice for person panicking about Brexit

12345679»

Comments

• With a name like 'Terry Towelling', I'm not at all surprised :)

You should meet my co-writer, 'Plastic Pants'.
  • ruthcain1
    ruthcain1 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 9:45AM
    Thanks so much for the fascinating discussion that's continued in my absence.
    I should let you all know a rather salient fact about my 'fashion' (hehe) portfolio. I gave the wrong return on it. The 38% related to one of my boys' portfolios- the one in which I have selected more lower risk investments ( I was being less careless than I remember).
    The return on my high risk one is more like 70%. And of course as someone who had never invested before that seems good to me, as would 38%. Because in prior years I'd have left it in savings accounts earning peanuts.

I also did use an IFA long ago with my ex husband and found that we gained nothing whatever from his advice. Indeed my kids lost out a lot from his advice to stick their child trust fund vouchers in The Children's Mutual. It was seeing the paltry return on that 'investment' that got me interested in takingm more risk.

Obviously, I don't like the fact that I have risked losing 70% in a crash, but it seems I have protected my older son's portfolio from that anyway.

Cheers to all who have given me lots to think about. I am genuinely grateful for the input. Am going to look more at an 80% ish equity fund for my ISA which is medium term (5-10 years) as I do intend to invest in some property in Ireland at some point, and downgrade from 80% to 60% equity for sons, eventually changing to lower risk nearer the point of cash in (only 3 years for no.1 son. gulp.)

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.