Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 22nd Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,155Posts
    • 6,591Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Focus, Action & Consistency is the Key!
    • 22nd Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    Focus, Action & Consistency is the Key! 22nd Jul 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello again,

I'm MuffinTops and I'm in the exciting position of being Mortgage and Debt free. This diary forum and many amazing posters seriously helped me get to this position.

I am in my 40's, single and living alone, and I do have a decently paid job. So what's the problem??? I have no long term focus. I became mortgage free a few years ago and since then my savings accounts do not even closely reflect my salary and necessary outgoings, and I'm still not really living either.

This diary is now about how to focus and to live the life I thought I was working towards when I was trying to clear my debts and mortgage. To do this I need to plan and act in my own best interests consistently.

There are so many areas of my life I've neglected over the years so although the main focus is on budgets and becoming financially self sufficient, I also have a lot of jobs I've neglected for too long, a lot of organising to do, and a whole lot of frogs to eat along the way.

Work is rubbish, and I hate it, but I'm finding that a mindset change is making things more bearable. I don't think my work situation is special in any way based on other diaries I've read, so maybe I need to focus less on what's going on around me at work, and more on my own path. I had considered resigning before finding another role or replacing the salary, but I've had a long hard logical think about that this weekend and I don't want to go back to existing, so I'll stick it out while I can.

I think that's enough for now. I know I'm in a fantastic position and I truly am so grateful for that, but I've also squandered some time and money which I feel I need to address immediately. It seems that unless I have a specific financial amount to aim for, I lose focus.

So I'm going to specify actual amounts in my budget (and on here) for certain areas (ie. savings, home improvements etc), so that I'm always working towards a goal. Home improvement goals etc will be based on specific costs to get work done. Savings will be a yearly goal (pro rata'd for this year).

I hope that it's still ok for me to post here, as it's such an inspirational place and has always made me much more mindful of my spending and other general habits and pushed me further than I can do by myself.
Page 1
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jul 18, 5:54 PM
    • 3,722 Posts
    • 20,950 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 22nd Jul 18, 5:54 PM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 5:54 PM
    Hello MT,

i'm sorry work isn't going so well right now. It sounds as if your decision to stick it out for a while is a good one. I'm feeling a bit burned out and stepped back for a few weeks to avoid throwing the towel in myself.

I can understand the losing focus. After becoming debt free and mortgage free I switched straight away to working on the house so I haven't had a loss of focus. Is there another project you could switch to?

I can't recall if you moved in the end?

Anyway, welcome back, really great to have you back

PS. I love the diary title. So true!
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 22-07-2018 at 5:58 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 58,912 Posts
    • 244,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 22nd Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 26th Jul 18, 7:35 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:35 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:35 AM
    Hello MT,

i'm sorry work isn't going so well right now. It sounds as if your decision to stick it out for a while is a good one. I'm feeling a bit burned out and stepped back for a few weeks to avoid throwing the towel in myself.

I can understand the losing focus. After becoming debt free and mortgage free I switched straight away to working on the house so I haven't had a loss of focus. Is there another project you could switch to?

I can't recall if you moved in the end?

Anyway, welcome back, really great to have you back

PS. I love the diary title. So true!
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA. Lovely to see you here. There are lots of projects I can move to. Initially there are lots of things that need replacing in my house (boiler etc) so I'll start there. I would also like to decorate and freshen up a few rooms so another good project.

I didn't move for many reasons which I'll probably put into a post soon as so many ideas swim around my head in that respect.

You've done so well with your plans. I'm so excited for what the future holds.

Take care,

MT
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 26th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    Thank you beanielou. It's so nice to have a new focus again.
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 26th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    I've been on a training course for the past few days which is a great qualification to boost my CV. The first day was a bit worrying as I just wasn't getting it, and I wasn't doing well on the mock exams, but it's come together a bit better now. I have the exam booked in for Monday, so have put time aside to get that done.

I've massively curbed my spending. I've been getting up my normal time of 5am, but had an extra 30 minutes before I needed to leave, so I was using that time to make myself a lunch and double check I had all I needed. I'm seriously considering doing that all the time now as I'd still be in work on time.

I get paid next Tuesday and it can't come fast enough. There's nothing in the budget for much fun stuff as I've already allocated it all, but I may switch things around a little to make some space for updating my wardrobe a little. Not much, just a new dress or sandals as I haven't bought myself any new clothes in almost a year.

I'm still catching up on others diaries as well which is so inspirational.

Have a lovely Thursday.

MTx
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 26th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 7,404 Posts
    • 16,340 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 26th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 26th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    I always find having a goal is a great idea for motivating savings and having separate pots for holidays, home improvements, new car and early retirement savings. Also allocating savings at the beginning of the month rather than saving what is left over.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 27th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    • 27th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 27th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    I get paid next week and am really anxious to just close this month down financially. I'm doing ok but having to move budgets about to keep them green on YNAB. I've managed to keep YNAB up to date which has been a great help.

This heat is getting me down as I'm not sleeping so well either. I'm meant to be battling the M25 this evening but just not sure about the reality of that.

Tomorrow I have a day at home for housework and venture dealings and on Sunday I'm visiting my Mum. I have plenty of diesel in the car, but will likely be running on fumes by Sunday and have no budget to take from anywhere to top it up before pay day. At a push I can steal a small amount from next month's diesel budget by paying on my credit card as I don't have any long journey plans throughout August.

I have enough food in to last me until I get paid, and on Tuesday I'm working in another office and travelling first class to get there so no breakfast or lunch buying will be needed.

It's probably time to be putting unwanted items up on eBay again to help push me ahead of myself and boost the savings pot!

I hope you're all managing to avoid the major intensity of the heat! Have a great weekend.

MTx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 58,912 Posts
    • 244,523 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 27th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 27th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    Enjoy your weekend
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 1st Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hi MT

I've found you!! I am catching up with diaries at last. I can't believe how much time flies since I last posted on here.

So I am back to keep myself motivated and I will need the kick up the !!!!! from you from time to time, you know how I love to procrastinate

At least you have an idea of the plans you want to focus on and I think you have made the best decision to stay at work for the time being.

I still have a lot of catching up to do so I will be back soon.

Take card.

Tink xx
    As of 1st January 2018:- TOTAL: 2372.02/16591.97
    DEBT 1-38.96 DEBT 2-75.00/141.10 DEBT 3-25.00/297.41DEBT 4 - 35.00/644.12
    DEBT 5-0/700.00 DEBT 6-35.00/720.02 DEBT 7-660.47/1479.65 DEBT 8-514.20/1576.80
    DEBT 9-0/1622.49 DEBT 10-300.00/2300.00 DEBT 11-829.99/2722.44 DEBT 12-0/4349.39
    EMERGENCY FUND - 10/1000
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 2nd Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Thank you beanielou. I had a really nice weekend. I hope you did too. Roll on the next one
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 2nd Aug 18, 8:08 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Always happy to kick and be kicked Tink. It definitely feels like a good decision as now I want to focus on other things.

MTx
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 2nd Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 5,821 Thanks
    another casualty
    Ah, found your new diary muffintops

You seem to be focused as ever. However, I would say don't be ott on yourself as life is for living ( supposedly ) and I would imagine most of us can look back on things we did or didn't do in the past .

Yes it's still uncomfortably hot but apparently the temperature will drop a little over the weekend . It can be quite unbearable when you could be sweating like Diane Abbott being asked the 2x table on question time .

Looking forward to seeing how your plans pan out ,from decorating and beyond .

Keep it together
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 3rd Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Thank you AC. I am feeling like focus is becoming a priority again. Being here helps.

I did laugh at your sweat analogy.

I'm hoping to catch up on your goings on this weekend.

MT
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 3rd Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    I'm being much better on personal spends so far, although I can't shout too loud as it's only the 3rd day of the month. I just feel more aware of what I'm buying.

Yesterday was nice as I had arranged an informal interview between a fella on my training course last week and one of my colleagues. I did have to buy a coffee for myself as I got there first, and that came to 3 !!! It was at the coffee place at the bottom of the Gherkin. It was a lovely area to sit out in though. The interview/informal chat seemed to go well, although I'm not sure they're going to be a great match. We'll see. I've been told that if they are then I'll get a finders fee, but I'm being very good at not interfering now they've met and chatted. I then got taken to dinner in a lovely restaurant in Leadenhall Street. During the meal my colleague had to make a call to his partner and the women at the table next to us gave me such a look of disdain that I think she assumed we were there to be naughty!!!! The very idea !!!!!

Today I'm hoping will be quiet, to ease me into a productive weekend at home!

We're in for more sunny days this weekend, so I hope everyone has the chance to really enjoy it.

MTx
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 7th Aug 18, 8:09 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    I'm keeping on top of budgets and feeling quite pleased with the progress. Work is getting me down, but nothing new there. I've made some decisions on the future though which mean that I need a really good clear out. Beyond minimalist really. This life I'm in isn't one I'd choose so I want to work towards a life that fits me better. Small steps forward for that, but as long as I'm moving in the right direction, that's what counts.

Nothing much more to report. I have a craft day booked on Sunday which is already in the budget. Food and drinks provided, plus they have a beautiful dog that loves attention so I'm looking forward to that. The rest of this week is likely to be a quiet one.

I hope you're all enjoying the sunshine. It's meant to break tomorrow and we could be in for storms! I hate storms, but I feel like we need one to release the tension in the air.

Happy Tuesday.

MTxx
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 7th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    • 6,561 Posts
    • 24,769 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    I hope you're all enjoying the sunshine. It's meant to break tomorrow and we could be in for storms! I hate storms, but I feel like we need one to release the tension in the air.
    Originally posted by MuffinTops

That will be sooo nice, I love the heat but it gets too much after a certain point.

Have a great day x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 5660.00 Lloyds: 9878.75 BC: GONE Cap One: GONE
    OD 0/500 LC 371.25/1500 Washer PAID
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 7219.86/7000
    Savings for Christmas 385.36/400
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 7th Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 5,821 Thanks
    another casualty
    Glad we are going to have a cooler spell . Not just for us that are not too keen on the humidity, but the poor animals .
    Seems like the job is in the way of your future plans MT, not sure if you could have a few days off just to have a break from it .
    Having said that, I have a feeling you won't tolerate much more and hopefully your new plan will workout when you are ready .
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 8th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 2,155 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Well we had a small storm last night to relieve some of the melting of people , and the weather this morning felt so much nicer. It's a shame I couldn't get under the duvet this morning and forget about work!

Thank you Purplemumof2. I hope the weather has cooled off a little for you too.

Hello AC. Lovely to see you here. How are you? I can't take any time off work at the moment as I've used up all of my holidays. I've even had to ask for some unpaid time off.
    I definitely feel like work gets in the way and then have to remind myself that this is what everyone goes through.
    Yes, those poor animals who can't take their little fur coats off (and who also hate storms) must be suffering in this weather.

I've created a new account on my YNAB for various future things. I have a mental block right now on getting a loan, but I decided to "owe it to myself" to get a certain amount and so I've made it a deficit in my YNAB that I can pay off. I'm better at paying off than saving, and I hate seeing minus figures or red categories, so I think it will push me on. I've done the same for home updates.

So, happy Wednesday everyone. Let's hope for a good night's sleep in this cooler weather.

MTxx
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Aug 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 5,821 Thanks
    another casualty
    At last...cooler weather
    Should sleep better tonight ,as we haven't had a storm down here yet. In theory , the rest of the week should be better because of the change in weather . Plus it's midweek
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,558Posts Today

6,927Users online

Martin's Twitter