Small house & stay at home, or big house & keep working?

Hi money savers,

I know it's an age old question, but...

You're thinking of starting a family. The options are:

1) Remain in your fairly small house (with a fairly small mortgage) and be a stay at home parent until your child(ren) are both at school. Then go back to work and think about the bigger house.

2) Move to the bigger house now, but then have to go back to your (relatively low paid) job and also worry about covering the bills after childcare.

Which would you choose?

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Everyone will pick differently. I would pick number 1. If you are lucky enough to be able to stay home with the children then do so. It's wonderful to be able to be with your children as they grow up and it's a limited time offer. To be honest, they grow up so quickly that you may not need to think about the bigger house provided you can fit them in!
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forgot to say, there's nothing to stop you picking up a little part time evening/weekend job which also gives your DH some one on one time with the children.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bigger house .... staying at home in a small one would drive you nuts... being at work/away from the kids will at least mean that evenings/weekends etc you don't feel "hemmed in" in a small house, but can freely have the space to do "great stuff with the kids".

In England, most of the time, it's wet, and/or windy ... and all that staying in, in a small house, "trapped", with the kids, would make you want to leave home!
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I would definitely choose number 1, I never had the chance to stay home with my kids, I had to work.
    Our kids don't stay little for long, enjoy them. You can never get back that time.
    As long as you will not be getting into money troubles by not working, you can always get a part-time that will work around you husbands job so he can also have 1 to 1 with the kids.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It depends how small you are talking.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd pick number 1, as that's what we have chosen to do. But then our 'small' mid terrace is not really too small, as it has 3 double bedrooms, so plenty of space to raise a family (we know we won't have more than 2!).
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    As long as you have enough space to be comfortable with kids I have never seen the benefits of a big house to be honest
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    How small is the house? Everybody defines it differently!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I did the first but there wasn't a huge amount of choice in this. My house was in negative equity. Also, we could not afford the childcare fees. The cost was the equivalent to my net salary, meaning the household was no better off. My day job had no alternative but for me to work f-time. I found a p-time evening/weekend job instead but when my husband changed jobs and the relatives helping me out with the overlap between me and husband coming in/going out to work developed serious health issues, I could no longer do that.

We remained in small house till DS was 21 months, then we were able to buy a larger property and have a second child. This was due to buying something that needed a lot of work on. We rented my house out and 2 years later on a price boom had happened and we could sell it and use the money to pay for some of the things the bigger house needed.

Something I'd take into account when making your choice is the cost of childcare. Also because I wasn't able to return to my daytime job, by the time I was in the position to do so, my skills were out of date due to technology advances and I had to go back to college for a few years first to gain new qualifications.
  • RainbowLaura
    RainbowLaura Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2019 at 10:51AM
    Some interesting and varied responses, thank you!

Here's our floor plan:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport