Not sure where or how to start tackling my debts which I have been avoiding for to long, any advice?

Options
Hi there, firstly I'm a brand new user and not sure I have posted this in the correct place or manner, so if not, I apologise!

So long story short, I got into about 10K of personal debt about 7/8 years go, due to a really bad gambling addiction. At the time I did attempt to sort things out and started a DMP with Stepchange, but I feel behind with payments and stopped it.

My main creditors would have been HSBC and Creation Finance, I'm not proud to admit it, but basically I have been hiding from the various calls, letters and attempts to contact me ever since.

I have moved addresses a couple of times and just been burrowing my head in the sand, so to speak...

Recently I have been working really hard to overcome my addictions and trying to look forward to the future, and part of this needs to include facing my previous debts.

I really want to try and rebuild my credit rating, and maybe someday even hope to get a mortgage but after so long running from the past I'm not sure where or how to even start putting things right!

I run my own business and its a limited company of which I'm a director so I'm also scared that contacting creditors after all this time will have an impact on that???

I have read that some debts become unenforceable after 6 years, and also as I live in Northern Ireland I know different rules / laws apply here to the other parts of the UK.

If anyone can give me any advice I would really appreciate it, so thank you in advance for just reading this, let alone any assistance!

DH

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family