0% running out, new credit card?

Options
I was after a bit of advice. I've just purchased a new house on a mortgage with my partner. He has bad credit and so the mortgage will likely affect my credit rating although it hasn't yet even though we have completed on the house.

My 0% credit card is going to run out in September and i'm not really up for paying interest on a CC having always had 0% on purchases. My question is should I attempt to apply for a new credit card now that my credit rating is still ok and ditch the old one or is it likely to be rejected because i've literally just taken out a bigger mortgage. Or shall I wait until we can get credit up to a better state and just make sure credit card is paid back in full if we ever use it?

I'm very risk averse so I don't want to do anything that would cause me issues, however I would prefer to have 0% CC just in case I need to use it.

K

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you've not yet completed on your mortgage, don't apply for any new credit until you've moved in.
  • kateyleah
    kateyleah Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I have completed and moved in.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Then I would apply now. If rejected, leave it two or three months before trying again.

Lenders may want to see some stability of a few mortgage payments, and make sure that you get on the ER as soon as you can, although this may take some time to filter through to the CRAs. But a search or two now is no big deal.
  • kateyleah
    Options
    Great thanks. Yes on ER already (I wanted to get on in time to vote :-))

I'll give it a go thank you for your help.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don't have a balance on your CC and are in a position to pay back in full then there's no rush to get a 0% purchases card unless you have a large purchase on the horizon.

Paying back in full every month will mean you don't incur interest anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • destroycarthage
    Options
    That zero percent sure comes in handy. Helped me get back on top of my debt. Kinda hard paying $200 minimum balance then over $100 in interest. I'd say the answer has all to do with how much of a balance you carry each month. None? Keep the card. Over 13% and up? Look for a new options and do a balance transfer. Good luck my friend
  • kateyleah
    Options
    Yeah I get that. My concern is that if something urgent comes up (a new washing machine, boiler repairs etc) I'll probably end up using the CC as I don't have much in savings and usually I pay big purchases off over a few months. So i'd rather not have to pay interest.

Also, my worry is that in a month or so my credit rating will fall because i'll be associated with my partner who has poor credit and so I won't be able to get the 0%,=.

I might give it a go and if I get rejected leave it for a year or so.

thanks for your help.

K
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Remember you don't have a credit rating - at least, not one you will ever see. You only have history.

An association with some with a poor history is unlikely to be a major issue for a credit card in itself.
  • kateyleah
    Options
    Ok thanks Zx81. So do you think I will be ok to apply in a few months time then once I am linked with my partner?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Certainly no harm in trying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts