IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Excel Parking

Options
Byers
Byers Posts: 9 Forumite
edited 15 February 2018 at 1:07PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
My wife recently received a Parking Charge Notice from Excel Parking, which we have obviously contested, since we kept proof of the ticket, however she didn!!!8217;t realise she had to enter the car reg number when paying and unknowingly keyed in "D0". The appeals have now gone to IAS which We!!!8217;re not very confident in winning after only providing limited evidence. I!!!8217;m trying to find out who the current owners are of Feethams Leisure Car Park in Darlington, to ask their view, but after numerous phone calls no one seems to want to help. If / once the appeal is refused at arbitration, should I ignore any debt collector correspondence and wait for court letters?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The appeals have now gone to IAS which We!!!8217;re not very confident in winning after only providing limited evidence.
    You will almost certainly not win at the IAS.
    If / once the appeal is refused at arbitration, should I ignore any debt collector correspondence and wait for court letters?
    That's about it - tough it out meantime, robustly defend (with help from the forum) if they issue a small claim. Ignore debt collectors - powerless oxygen thieves.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Byers
    Options
    Thank you!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2018 at 7:48PM
    Options
    These people seem to be the Managing Agents:

Ask them why their agent's machinery allowed a ticket to be issued without a registration number being entered.
    Put simply, that is entrapment.
    Explain to them that they are jointly responsible for their agent's shortcomings.
  • Byers
    Options
    Thank you KeithP
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, perhaps feethamsdarlington.co.uk would be more appropriate.

They list Urban & Civic as Developers and Owners with their contact details.
  • Byers
    Options
    Thanks again KeithP. Much appreciated. I’ll call them in the morning
  • Byers
    Options
    The IAS have now dismissed my appeal and have advised I should contact the operator within 14 days to make payment. Should I just pay up and do I have a case if it goes to court please?
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,034 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The IAS are in on the scam, now it's up to you do you support scammers even though you paid for your parking or fight the Muppets?

Excel may or may not try court, they will certainly make a load of threats though.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nobody here will advise you to pay up, and yes you have a case if it goes to the small claims court. We have a very, very good record (around 99% success rate) here of helping people win with properly defended cases.

You should also complain to your MP, and make the landowners aware of this scam.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Byers wrote: »
    The IAS have now dismissed my appeal and have advised I should contact the operator within 14 days to make payment. Should I just pay up and do I have a case if it goes to court please?
    You knew this would be the outcome of appeals to IAS.

This is why you are advised not to appeal to them.

(It just gives the PPC something to use against you)

But of course you shouldn't pay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport