Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 151Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer
    • 6th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer 6th Feb 18 at 2:39 PM
    Waitrose is set to end the 'pick your own offers' part of its loyalty scheme, after apparently concluding that customers found it too "confusing"...
    Read the full story:
    'Waitrose to scrap "confusing" pick-your-own-offers loyalty scheme'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 13,713 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    I have made a lot of savings from this in the past. If you have something that is on offer on your 'my picks' the potential saving is really good.

Right now they have frozen cod on offer at 25% off. This is something I regularly buy there, and by adding it to 'my picks' I get a further 20% off, so this brings it down to £3.59 from £5.99.

I agree that you had to keep an eye on what you had on 'my picks' and what Waitrose have on offer to make the really good savings.

I shall be disappointed to see it go, and won't go into Waitrose as often.
    • moonshine
    • By moonshine 6th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    moonshine
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    I've never found it in the slightest bit confusing. Sounds like the usual company bu****it when they want to drop something good for the customers that is hurting their profits

A la Tesco/Clubcard, Sainsbury's and the Nectar points, Ebay and their fee restructures..........."we're doing it for you, to make your life easier." What an insult to peoples' intelligence.

Hermes just recently sent an email saying "we've now made it simpler and easier to send a parcel with Hermes" when all the email is about is the increase in their prices!

I have no problem with companies altering their prices or their offers but I do have a massive problem with them treating me like an idiot by trying to tell me it's for my benefit.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 6th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 8,327 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    I never found it confusing but for some reason I could never get it to work. I picked my offers ages ago but have never been able to change them, despite trying on two different computers and three different browsers. I've just given up with it as I don't shop in Waitrose enough for it to matter a lot.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 6th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 10,937 Posts
    • 23,525 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    Waitrose is going right down in my estimation.

They have just introduced a minimum spend of £10 to park in the car park for a maximum of 2 hours after which it is an automatic fine of £70.

You cannot even pay to park anymore if you want to just pop in for a couple of things.

I hope this hits them where it hurts. The car park was half empty the other day.
    • Mr_blibby
    • By Mr_blibby 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mr_blibby
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    Frustrating scheme, too difficult to use, just give me 20% of the top 10 things by value I buy each month (They have the data from the card) and I'll come back - otherwise I'll keep going to Aldi/Lidl for most of my mundane shopping and my c £10k a year spend is now halved.....
    • pjran
    • By pjran 6th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 7,580 Thanks
    pjran
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    I have taken the opportunity to change my choices every month to maximise my savings. Shame they are saying itís too confusing for their customers, donít blame the customer for their own errors!!!

CONTINUE MYWAITROSE PLEASE
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 6th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 4,252 Posts
    • 29,356 Thanks
    tessie bear
    I didn't find it confusing but couldn't remember what I had chosen so didn't use it....some people seemed to male good savings so its a shame its going
    on the brink...
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 6th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 5,183 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    I've made some useful savings on this promotion but while I didn't find it confusing, as such, I did find that the items I had selected weren't always available due to the proliferation of pack sizes on display (notably the case with bacon which comes in many varieties and sizes).

On the whole, it was an inelegant scheme, though, fiddly and probably a bit too complicated. I hope Waitrose aren't just trying to get their margins up. We will notice.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 6th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    dlusman
    Frustrating scheme, too difficult to use, just give me 20% of the top 10 things by value I buy each month (They have the data from the card) and I'll come back - otherwise I'll keep going to Aldi/Lidl for most of my mundane shopping and my c £10k a year spend is now halved.....
    Originally posted by Mr_blibby
    If you read the link at hotUKdeals - they are changing to what sounds like what Sainsburys do. Personalised vouchers issued at the till or through the post
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Feb 18, 9:20 PM
    • 31,446 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I've made some useful savings on this promotion but while I didn't find it confusing, as such, I did find that the items I had selected weren't always available due to the proliferation of pack sizes on display (notably the case with bacon which comes in many varieties and sizes).

On the whole, it was an inelegant scheme, though, fiddly and probably a bit too complicated. I hope Waitrose aren't just trying to get their margins up. We will notice.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I didn't find it confusing but couldn't remember what I had chosen so didn't use it....some people seemed to male good savings so its a shame its going
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I forgot what mine was too, I thought if I downloaded the app it might help to keep a track of my choices, it didnt happen.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 6th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 5,183 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I forgot what mine was too, I thought if I downloaded the app it might help to keep a track of my choices, it didnt happen.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I ended up making a note on my smartphone shopping list,
    • robin58
    • By robin58 6th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    robin58
    If you read the link at hotUKdeals - they are changing to what sounds like what Sainsburys do. Personalised vouchers issued at the till or through the post
    Originally posted by dlusman
    Trouble is these 'personalised vouchers' are to me pretty useless to me.

I have only ever got 1 voucher for a product I did buy, the rest were for £6 off a £30 spend which will never happen with me.

All the new till spit vouchers will be for products that I will no doubt never buy because they will be very expensive or products I don't like.

I think they are scrapping it because people were getting good offers when putting their special offers with the 20% off. They were losing too much money.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • mgns
    • By mgns 7th Feb 18, 6:03 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mgns
    This is really disappointing news. The regular extra 20% off certain staples (Marmite, tea, pasta, fruit) was a real incentive and got me in the door and spending on other items. The real problem is that without the extra discount, Waitrose isn't competitive on price, so there is little reason now to go out of my way to visit and spend - I'm not bothered about free coffee etc.

I'd agree with others that the PYO offers were not particularly well laid out on the website but it was worth the effort. In the current climate, it does seem a thinly veiled decision to try and claw back some profits.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 7th Feb 18, 6:31 AM
    • 13,032 Posts
    • 41,177 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Waitrose is going right down in my estimation.

They have just introduced a minimum spend of £10 to park in the car park for a maximum of 2 hours after which it is an automatic fine of £70.

You cannot even pay to park anymore if you want to just pop in for a couple of things.

I hope this hits them where it hurts. The car park was half empty the other day.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I agree that they have started doing this, in my local Waitrose people park there and go into town for hours so genuine customers have nowhere to park. 2 hours is more than enough to do a shop, there is no need to spend more than 2 hours in one grocery shop.

I do, however agree with you about the £10 spend, they should lower that as some people just want milk or lunch or a couple of bits.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 7th Feb 18, 7:31 AM
    • 6,620 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    Doc N
    A shame, but probably an inevitable move to try to preserve profits. I guess the free paper and coffee will be under consideration too.

Waitrose has lost a lot of customers to Aldi and Lidl, which get more and more like Waitrose every day (Aldi now take Amex!). It now looks even more expensive than it did before, and regularly seeing Waitrose prices twice as high as those in Aldi doesn't encourage me to return too often.

Sadly, I think it's done for in its present form. It's going to continue, but not remotely as successfully. Times change, and the Waitrose business model looks damaged.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 7th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 8,399 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I agree that you had to keep an eye on what you had on 'my picks' and what Waitrose have on offer to make the really good savings.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    We rarely do a "big shop" at Waitrose (maybe once a quarter as a treat) but top-ups or odds and ends at the one near work. So I actually struggled to think of 10 things that I would buy regularly and only ever bothered to review the list once when they e-mailed me. So it's not going to make a lot of difference to me - I made bigger savings by looking in the "reduced" baskets. Even those have got more expensive in the last few months i.e. the percentage reduction has gone down.

I agree with those who think it's because they are losing money to savvy shoppers doubling up and not getting the increased footfall and spend they hoped for. And I agree with Doc N that the free tea/coffee might be the next to go - or have a minimum spend attached. They must be losing money on that - especially with the number of people I've seen doubling up on it (one coffee in the official cup and one in the travel mug / one teabag in the cup and one in the handbag).
    Womble #7 - Running Total £9.56 $1.99 Ä3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • stmartinsdiver
    • By stmartinsdiver 7th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    stmartinsdiver
    I just picked 10 items that we often buy and left it set at that - it would be too much faffing around to change choices regularly plus the fact that the lists of choices is far from comprehensive so you'd not necessarily be able to find what you'd like to put on your list anyway. Generally speaking Waitrose is more expensive on branded products and you can usually make good savings simply by buying at the other supermarket chains. A quick raid on a Saturday morning for a few competitively priced items gets you a free newspaper with the weeks TV guide and a free coffee of course, and you may well spot a special offer worth taking advantage of whilst there.
    • nicksmith1234
    • By nicksmith1234 7th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nicksmith1234
    Surely, Waitrose are insulting their customers' intelligence by suggesting that they find the scheme "confusing"!
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 7th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 10,937 Posts
    • 23,525 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I agree that they have started doing this, in my local Waitrose people park there and go into town for hours so genuine customers have nowhere to park. 2 hours is more than enough to do a shop, there is no need to spend more than 2 hours in one grocery shop.

I do, however agree with you about the £10 spend, they should lower that as some people just want milk or lunch or a couple of bits.
    Originally posted by sarah1972

The thing is though that when Waitrose came to our town the car park was already there and served the high street.

It was an issue raised by many residents who were assured that everyone would still be able to park there.

Until recently you could park there and pay or free to Waitrose customers if you spent £5.

Now unless you shop in Waitrose and spend £10 you cannot park there at all. This will mean it will be very difficult to park in the high street to shop elsewhere.

This will mean that some like myself will not shop locally as much and will go where it is easy to park.

Also many people used to park there in the evening to go the restaurants but the cameras will operate 24/7.

This has got to have an effect on the whole high street.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,321Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin