Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,794Posts
    • 24,361Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
Page 46
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 15th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,749 Thanks
    pineapple
    I opened the driver's door, got in the car, keys in the ignition .... and there's a cat on my rear parcel shelf. A fully grown, large as life chubby cat!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Gosh I would freak out
    Plus I don't much like cats and would have to consider my response....
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 62,521 Posts
    • 366,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Beef was good ... but I didn't enjoy the curry.
    The curry was fine, just too bl00dy hot! Gave me the hiccups by the 2nd mouthful. Still 3 portions to plough through
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Cats seem to like supermarkets. I can think of two branches of Tesco that have a nearby cat that comes and visits there and usually sits there at the entrance and makes the best of all the attention they get from visiting customers. They know they're usually pretty popular with shoppers and security staff get quite used to having to pick them up at intervals and put them back outside the door if they've found their way into the store.

Fine by me - as I like cats - and so will be one of the customers making a fuss of them.

I presume cats are impartial though - and will also park themselves outside all the other supermarkets as well give them half a chance.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 15-02-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• Farway
    • By Farway 15th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    Farway
    I'm working today and having dgson for tea,
    Originally posted by wort
    Boiled or fried? Makes a change from fish fingers I suppose I'll get me coat

PN, thanks for meat tip at L, I'm getting mine tomorrow so will be hawk eyes at check out

CaronC, sorry about your weather, it is really spring like here, warm and no wind today. Still resisting gardening though, too soggy underfoot

The shopping mooching had some good results, reduced fresh cauli in the greengrocer, 50p, maybe soup or C Cheese, not sure yet.

I bought some celery, just in case, for soup or stew with the L beef offer
    Plus found a YS gluten free bread mix in A4da, not something I would normally buy, but at 49p was 2.50 and a BBE July 2018 it was not something I could leave on the shelf. Come in handy once I have used all the bread mountain in a jumbo bread pud. No spare freezer space for free loaves, rather use it for meat

Popped into C0stcutter on way home, bingo, another YS peppered rib eye steak:, 1.50. The last one I had was lovely, hoping for same tonight

Breakfast was HM yoghurt + honey
    Lunch was grilled tinned sardines on toast, fancied something tasty but easy
    Dinner will be the steak, grilled, with frozen chips, eggs, mushrooms & maybe a grilled tom
    • wort
    • By wort 15th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    wort

I'm working today and having dgson for tea,
    ”Boiled or fried? Makes a change from fish fingers I suppose I'll get me coat

I came home hungry enough to eat him too

PN I'm wondering if you could perhaps add some yogurt to the curry to cool it down ? I haven't tried it but I'm sure I've heard it before!
    Today has been beautifully sunny with the bitterest wind!!! Lovely to look out at not to be out in it!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 62,521 Posts
    • 366,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN, thanks for meat tip at L, I'm getting mine tomorrow so will be hawk eyes at check out
    Originally posted by Farway
    As I stood and waited to be dealt with, it was clear there was some bigger issue going on in the shop.

The man (manager?) was on a phone and then they announced another till opening, then I over-heard the woman who'd served me explain to her next customer there was to be a hold up as she had to "reboot my till".... so I wonder if it was the till mine went through hadn't updated the prices properly and was still working off yesterday's connection/data.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 62,521 Posts
    • 366,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN I'm wondering if you could perhaps add some yogurt to the curry to cool it down ?
    There are many things one can add - but not if they're products that have never existed in your house

I don't have/buy/use yoghurt because the very thought of it turns my stomach... I heard the words "live culture" many decades ago and it turned my stomach, so I've never even tried it.

Ditto other things one could use. I'm sure it'll mellow once cooled/sat. And, if not, I'll just add a large helping of chips
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    wort re "having you gson" for tea. Hope he was tender?

PN- shame the curry was too spicy, fingers crossed it mellows rather than gets spicier after a sit.

Please, please, please can we have some better weather here, I am so "scunnered" (fed up) with the cold and stormy. It's playing havoc with my balance and I have stuff I want to do.....

I'm now home alone this weekend as my son has to work late tomorrow evening so has very sensibly decided not to drive home in horrible weather late on. He's planning on coming up next weekend instead. I had planned "mince round" for dinner tomorrow for us both but will put that on hold and I've popped a naughty pack of chicken kievs into my grocery order to have instead.

I've really not got much of anything done today so must go and sort out the kitchen before I boil some pasta/make dinner. The dishwasher needs emptying so there is a sinkful of dirty dishes waiting to get loaded. (Yes I could handwash them but I'm not going to...) I also need to do some meal planning so I can double check my order I suspect I might just hope for the best.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I think everyone is thoroughly sick of the weather here too - even those that are from this area in the first place I believe (well it's gotta be bad if you've noticed sporting fixtures being cancelled - as I've got used to being gobsmacked at rugby being played in all weathers since coming here). You can imagine just how fed-up with it incomers from areas with better weather are. For those of us (ie me) that spent some of my childhood in hot climates - wah!!!!

I don't recall ever deciding not to go to something because of bad weather - until I moved here - and I should be out at something tonight for instance. But I just can't face going out in the cold twice in one day.

Dinner tonight was CBA - so the other black bean burger from couple of days back and baked chips again. Couldnt even be arsed to make anything else to go with it. Finished with some fruit and rice milk.

• caronc
    • By caronc 15th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    I think everyone is thoroughly sick of the weather here too - even those that are from this area in the first place I believe (well it's gotta be bad if you've noticed sporting fixtures being cancelled - as I've got used to being gobsmacked at rugby being played in all weathers since coming here). You can imagine just how fed-up with it incomers from areas with better weather are. For those of us (ie me) that spent some of my childhood in hot climates - wah!!!!

I don't recall ever deciding not to go to something because of bad weather - until I moved here - and I should be out at something tonight for instance. But I just can't face going out in the cold twice in one day.

Dinner tonight was CBA - so the other black bean burger from couple of days back and baked chips again. Couldnt even be arsed to make anything else to go with it. Finished with some fruit and rice milk.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Yes we are that point in the year where even locals are fed up with the winter/weather and things get cancelled/put off.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 15th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I missed my regular night out on Tuesday partly because of work (I work from home), but also because there was a real risk of black ice, and I am very likely to fall if I try and walk on it. I have a walker which gives me some small level of safety, but the risk is still high.

Usually I just use my two sticks to walk short distances. I am thoroughly fed up with high winds stopping me from going out on my trike. Not to mention brief bouts of warmer weather giving us false hope, before we plunge back to sub-zero temperatures.

It's Northern-Hemisphere wide, my Japanese clients are complaining about the weather as well. They have had a long, cold and snowy winter, not just in the northern islands, but down on the Pacific coast in Tokyo and Yokohama too,

Enuff moaning... I made a puff pastry pizza, I didn't have many ingredients, so used a lot of sun-dried tomatoes, plus anchovies and onion. I now know that it's definitely tomatoes that are the cause of recently developed acid reflux problems. A big swig of silicol gel (more expensive than Gaviscon and not as effective, imo) has helped. My sister swears by silicol gel, but I'm not as convinced. It tastes a lot like milk of magnesia to me, which is not a good thing.

My new toastie maker got used again yesterday, DD and DGD visited, and DD made some turkey and chutney toasties, gosh they were nice.

The turkey was, I think, the last of the Christmas leftovers, unless another portion bag is lurking somewhere in the freezer.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    I missed my regular night out on Tuesday partly because of work (I work from home), but also because there was a real risk of black ice, and I am very likely to fall if I try and walk on it. I have a walker which gives me some small level of safety, but the risk is still high.

Usually I just use my two sticks to walk short distances. I am thoroughly fed up with high winds stopping me from going out on my trike. Not to mention brief bouts of warmer weather giving us false hope, before we plunge back to sub-zero temperatures.

It's Northern-Hemisphere wide, my Japanese clients are complaining about the weather as well. They have had a long, cold and snowy winter, not just in the northern islands, but down on the Pacific coast in Tokyo and Yokohama too,

Enuff moaning... I made a puff pastry pizza, I didn't have many ingredients, so used a lot of sun-dried tomatoes, plus anchovies and onion. I now know that it's definitely tomatoes that are the cause of recently developed acid reflux problems. A big swig of silicol gel (more expensive than Gaviscon and not as effective, imo) has helped. My sister swears by silicol gel, but I'm not as convinced. It tastes a lot like milk of magnesia to me, which is not a good thing.

My new toastie maker got used again yesterday, DD and DGD visited, and DD made some turkey and chutney toasties, gosh they were nice.

The turkey was, I think, the last of the Christmas leftovers, unless another portion bag is lurking somewhere in the freezer.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Completely with you re the ice versus dodgy mobility, I hate it.... but as you say it is not just us in the UK.

My LO savoury pancake filling + pasta was really tasty but in true CFO I have LOs, still that's lunch covered tomorrow.

I've decided to slightly up my grocery order (a couple of essential additions by way of loo roll & toiletries) having done a loose meal plan I think apart from milk & bread I might not need to get an order until next month which is a bit scary. I'll see how it goes.......
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 62,521 Posts
    • 366,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    When I used frying pans I used to use those to make them as they keep the bread flat and it's easy to turn with a spatula.

These days I toast the bread, then chuck the filling into a mug and into the magic box to heat up .... then spread it between the two bits of toast. Job done, just a mug to wash up
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    It's actually sunny and bright here today. I do hate this time of year normally, though.

I had a veggie burger in 2 slices of WM toast with lettuce and mustard for breakfast. I felt quite hungry as I exercised a bit yesterday.

I am about to have some green tea as it is still chilly here.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning,

The weather is marginally better this morning, still cold and windy but at least it's dry (so far!)

Not much by way of cooking today planned, LOs for lunch and a bung it on a tray in the oven dinner of chicken kiev and chips. I'll nuke veg to have with it.

Looking forward to my grocery order arriving and having my fresh supplies replenished. Later on I'll meal plan for the next few days.
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 62,521 Posts
    • 366,261 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Brekkie was: a big toasted bread bap, baked beans, scrambled eggies
    • wort
    • By wort 16th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    wort
    I've got some washing in,! Fingers crossed I'm working 11- 4 so be home half past with a good wind!!!!
    Lunch is the hm leek and potato soup. I've got a week ood yogurt, got missed cos it's strawberry ! Yuk! Normally give to dgson. So I won't be eating the strawberry portion of the corner yogurt.

I'm out for a meal tonight for my nieces birthday, prawn cocktail and steak with diavola sauce, pre ordered as there's 14 of us going.

Edit - washing out!!!!! Eaten yogurt, if it's going to poison me better to be at home!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 16th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,749 Thanks
    pineapple
    I don't have/buy/use yoghurt because the very thought of it turns my stomach... I heard the words "live culture" many decades ago and it turned my stomach, so I've never even tried it.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    It doesn't pay to look too closely at many everyday foods. Eggs for example - just think for a moment about what they are and where they come from. Jelly is another example....
    I happen to like blue cheese but best not go there.....
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 3,794 Posts
    • 24,361 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm glad a few of us are having better weather, it's clouding over here but the wind is less gusty so can't have everything I suppose.
    Grocery order has been delivered and put away, I'm very pleased to no longer have a depleted fridge.

MrAPJI - age is after all just a number, I'm sure Mary is delighted to have a couple of "strapping lads" at her disposal

pineapple - yes best not to think about the origins of some foods (another blue cheese fan here). I'm pretty "hard core" about the food stuffs I eat/enjoy but sometimes it's best not to think to deeply about them. (Haggis anyone?)
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Just thinking that the vast majority of my supermarket list this week is fruit and vegetables and that's rather become my norm now.

But the sole non greengrocery food item that's down on it is milk - as in dairy milk (as I'm a bit half-and-half currently re whether milk is dairy milk or plant mylk). Put like that - well I don't like to think too closely where it's come from either....

Well I guess at least it hasn't been butchered for me to eat it (ie meat) or come from our polluted seas (ie fish - with a touch of plastics flavouring it....). Add the fact that I can't avoid some plastic packaging yet (particularly as I buy everything possible organic).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 16-02-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,699Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin