PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ... wraps ... pizza.... tomato puree, always, .... grated cheese, sundried tomatoes, fresh spinach, anchovies, cooked ham bits, cooked chicken bits, salami/sliced chorizo/pepperoni, olives.
    That's how I end up doing a couple. Trouble is, there are always 6-8 in a packet and you can't have them all the same. Nobody could scoff their way through 6-8 pizzas over 5-8 days..... without getting bored of it :)

With any food, I always try to do it different ways every time, so even a pack of 6 crumpets would be eaten with 3 different toppings, curry is served 3-4x with different sides... and wraps need several "fancy it" ideas + the ingredients to make that.

I usually do the pizza base with a spoon of chilli/tomato chutney as I've usually got that in the house and not puree. Sometimes I'll "double base" it and have two wraps with a layer of cheese between them.

Right now I've got cheese I could grate - and I could peel/chop an onion, but not a lot else.... unless I use a couple of cocktail sausages from the freezer.

It's all about "what I've actually got here today", which is rarely a lot :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Distracted from Plan somewhat today.

An ***** (expletive deleted) "person" nearly killed or at least severely injured me today - which would have left everyone wondering just where I'd gone that I was no longer posting:mad::eek::mad::eek:.

Anyway - thankful for my very quick reactions and they didn't do so:cool:. Whew!

Hence the distraction. I've gone through several hours of anger (and if I can put them on a list for a bit of appropriate karma - consider it done:cool:). I'm now in "upset - do I really have to share Earth with people like it? Why?" mode right now. But pushing back - because I know "episodes" can send me spiralling into "too depressed to do anything" for hours/weeks/days/etc and I mustnt let that happen.

Fighting back into "Must carry on with My Life according to My Plan mode". So dinner (almost) as per Plan. I'm currently trying out new recipe of portobello mushroom and spinach on toast with umami sauce. Just finished the almost-according-to-Plan umami sauce.

The distraction between anger and thrown-into-depression-mode was ...yep...that was another bit of booze that wasnt part of The Plan - as I tried to get myself back out of Anger Mode (as I don't know contact details of person whose throat I'd like to go for - so pointless to feel angry).

Right - back to The Plan and finish dinner....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    goodness me money, thank heavens you are ok. Try not to live in what is past, he/she will get karma, I am sure of it
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Was in the Greek part of town this morning and so popped in to one of the shops to buy the ingredients for a Greek salad. Having had it for lunch have to say I was disappointed. The tomato’s, salad etc aren’t in season so tasted meh!

Saw some sheeps heads which looked interesting.... need to find a recipe.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goodness money no wonder you're mad and very shaken up I would imagine too. I think a stiff drink was probably just the thing so stuff "the Plan"....
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Felafels I first encountered in the mid 1970s at some hippy festival/fair on the big local common where I used to live. Sandal wearing, tie-dye shirt making hippies... freaks. :)

But felafels are OK .... although I wish they were "better than they actually are" - they're one of those things you fancy, until you eat it and then you come away disappointed :)

I think they're probably best when encountered as part of a big buffet table, when you can take one and move on ..... not when you've got a whole bunch to scoff through.

Wraps.... I've never got on with them, I find them chewy and tough to eat, but for some bizarre reason I bought another pack just before Xmas. Mr T ones, smallish. They're not as chewy as the bigger ones are. Now the pack's open I have to eat them all of course....

I've just had a cheese/tomato/salad cream wrap :)

Three down ... maybe three to go....

Agree on both counts PN.

You have completely summed up my view on felafels, they've always disappointed me and I've never 'got' the current wrap fad..as you say, chewy and non-descript. I'd rather have some freshly baked bread.

Just to update, I didn't eat what I cooked last night so it is lurking in the fridge for maybe tonight or later in the week.

I can't believe I've been so ill, hardly eaten for 2 weeks yet lost zero weight, in fact my scales say I have put some on:( :think:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    I love wraps as the base for a super-quick pizza, you need to have the wrap placed ready on the pizza tray/baking sheet.
    Just preheat the oven to around 180 degrees for a fan oven. Prepare your wrap just as you would a standard thin crust pizza.

I spread mine with tomato puree, always, as the base, then it's usually a choice between grated cheese, sundried tomatoes, fresh spinach, anchovies, cooked ham bits, cooked chicken bits, salami/sliced chorizo/pepperoni, olives.

I quite fancy one now, for tea, having written this. If I do make one, it will be anchovy, sundried tomatoes and capers, possibly with a bit of onion on as well.

Edit - only five to seven minutes in the oven, hence 'super-quick'. Keep an eye as the edges can burn quickly.
    I've had limited success with them as a flat pizza but find as a sort of calzone they work really well if you wet the edges well.:)
    My vacuum sealer is being delivered later today so I will have a play with that :).
    Oh have fun when I got mine my son "vac packed" all sorts of things including his mobile, the TV remote and a sock......:rotfl::rotfl:

Good evening everyone, not much to report in caronc world. Soup was had at lunchtime, there's 3 portions left so I'll freeze these in tonight. Stew in a bit definitely CBA making dumplings so it's the spare mash with it.

Mr_Singleton, how lucky you are to have access to Greek shops. I agree tomatoes etc. are so tasteless at this time of year. Why not ask what they recommend for the sheep's head? I would imagine "long & slow" would be the answer a bit like brawn. Thankfully the supplier for the Greek restaurants in Glasgow is now offering non-wholesale which you can order and either pick up from a contact point in Glasgow or have delivered. My son's gf is Greek and put me onto to it. They did an order over Christmas so I now have lots of the lovely pitta bread in my freezer.
  • caronc
    Options
    I can't believe I've been so ill, hardly eaten for 2 weeks yet lost zero weight, in fact my scales say I have put some on:( :think:[/QUOTE]
    Maybe you had put on some over Christmas (cheese?) so have lost some of that? Anyway important thing is that you are on the mend.
  • caronc
    Options
    Meant to say I love felafel as long as it's well spiced. In a wrap or piece of baguette with spinach or watercress and hummus is my favourite. Like them cooked in a spicu tomato sauce as well.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2018 at 8:35PM
    Options
    Well - the recipe was quite tasty - if not done "quite" according to Plan. One to repeat I think - but with a bit less liquid content of one description or another next time.

So - dinner eaten and a friend ITRW duly proclaimed the man (yep...it was a man..:cool: - no offence to our male friends on this thread I hasten to add....) concerned to be "a moron"...I was using the word "neanderthal" myself (as in "The 21st century hasnt yet caught up with him - and I suspect the 20th century hasnt either.....")....and people who are in female form won't "register on his horizon" for several centuries yet...

Promising myself a hot milk with chocolate/maple syrup/sprinkle of nutmeg nightcap tonight....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback