Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,298Posts
    • 21,025Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 58
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 8th Apr 18, 7:42 AM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 55,489 Thanks
    Jazee
    I will shortly be putting a beef joint in the slow cooker, but DH doesn't fancy a roast today now, so will probably be used for curry, stew, dogs, whatever. So no idea what we'll be eating tonight.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 21,181 Posts
    • 57,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pork goulash today in the slow cooker.
    I bought some value mushrooms from Adli and there are some lovely baby ones (smaller than button) which will go in whole.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 8th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 41,559 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Liver, bacon, mash and onion gravy here - not one of my favourites but MIL is round for lunch and her and DH love it
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 21,181 Posts
    • 57,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Liver, bacon, mash and onion gravy here - not one of my favourites but MIL is round for lunch and her and DH love it
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Have you tried the Hairy Bikers recipe?
    It's good.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 8th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 41,559 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Have you tried the Hairy Bikers recipe?
    It's good.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I'll have a look, I like the Hairy Bikers recipes, but, today, as it's for MIL, it needs to be her recipe

Edit: Polly I just had a look, and it's pretty much the same as I do, expect we use Worcestershire sauce not ketchup, I think a little sweetness would be nice though, I will give it a go and see if she notices
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 08-04-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 21,181 Posts
    • 57,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'll have a look, I like the Hairy Bikers recipes, but, today, as it's for MIL, it needs to be her recipe

Edit: Polly I just had a look, and it's pretty much the same as I do, expect we use Worcestershire sauce not ketchup, I think a little sweetness would be nice though, I will give it a go and see if she notices
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    TBH, I can't recall putting tomato ketchup in (although it's a few weeks ago since I cooked it), I very rarely use ketchup in cooking.
    Maybe I misread it and used tomato puree instead.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 7,617 Posts
    • 52,277 Thanks
    kerri gt
    JIL I guess the curry kit works well for those wanting to try cooking curry, or not wanting to fork out on entire packs of spices for a one off. Like you say, you pay for the convenience of someone putting it all together for you.
    Oddly it's just reminded me I have a Mediterranean seasoning pack in the cupboard and some sad looking courgettes to use up....
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 7,617 Posts
    • 52,277 Thanks
    kerri gt
    OH just requested pasta (again) so I made that - he just had his with some sauce and chillis, I added some bendy courgette to mine and threw in some balsamic olives, peppers and goats cheese (which may / may not have been a tad 'tangy' so if you don't hear from me again - you know why )

However i have a portion of mash, swede and cauli cheese now in the fridge to use up - which I'll have to do something with tomorrow.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 8th Apr 18, 6:32 PM
    • 5,712 Posts
    • 42,211 Thanks
    joedenise
    Ate out for lunch today and tonight we're having LO chicken tagine with couscous.

Denise
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 11,465 Posts
    • 30,901 Thanks
    suki1964
    Rib eyes, mushrooms, peas , corn, pepper sauce and onion rings with croquettes

Nothing at all home made and I don!!!8217;t care !!!55357;!!!56834;
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Apr 18, 7:36 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 29,174 Thanks
    caronc
    Ramen with pork, various veg and a soft boiled egg

• JIL
    • By JIL 8th Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 21,025 Thanks
    JIL
    On my own today so did some decluttering, had a sandwich some crisps and an orange juice.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Apr 18, 6:45 AM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 41,559 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Busy day today, so quick dinner of Gammon steaks, sweet potato fries and peas
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Apr 18, 8:08 AM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 55,489 Thanks
    Jazee
    Last night we had takeaway. Tonight DH says he's making curry again.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 9th Apr 18, 10:42 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 5,258 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Last night we had steak pie (not hm) with chips and mushy peas. Lunch today is hm minestrone soup.

I usually buy our meat from the supermarket, but this week got a meat hamper from a local butcher, so tonight's dinner will be a lovely plump chicken which will be roasted and served with roasties, stuffing and assorted veg. This chicken makes the ones from the supermarket look ever so scrawny... I think I've been converted and can see me buying all my meat from the butcher from now on - it's not even that much more expensive than tescos..
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 21,181 Posts
    • 57,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pork goulash today in the slow cooker.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    This ^^^^ was yummy - and there's enough sauce with peppers and mushrooms to top a jacket potato for my lunch.

Tonight I'm cooking 'beef and mushroom delight'.
    It's a recipe I've had for over 30 years, no idea where it came from but it uses a lot of red wine and James Martin quantity of butter.
    It just has to be served with mashed potatoes.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 45,583 Thanks
    Frith
    Shepherds pie with peas here. Then rhubarb picked this afternoon with Greek honey yoghurt.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Apr 18, 6:05 PM
    • 21,181 Posts
    • 57,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Shepherds pie with peas here. Then rhubarb picked this afternoon with Greek honey yoghurt.
    Originally posted by Frith
    Puddings don't interest me but when I read this I went 'Oooooh. Yum'.
    • frugalish
    • By frugalish 9th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    frugalish
    Slow cooker advice?
    Hi all, I hope you don't mind me joining in here. I've got an old Tower slow cooker (from the '70s / '80s - one of those lovely brown and cream ones! ) that I've been using for about twenty years, but it's not getting hot enough any more, and things aren't cooking properly . So I have to invest in a new one. I saw one in Mr T for 15 which I thought looked reasonable, but I don't want to buy something that'll only last five minutes and then have to be replaced again. Can I ask for any recommendations from you lovely folk? I'm very sad to have to get rid of the Tower one - I thought it would outlive me!

In light of not having a working slow cooker, I've got a chicken casserole in the oven slow cooker style - heat it up on the hob, preheat the oven, bung the casserole in, bring back up to temp then turn the oven off and leave for a couple of hours without opening the door. Just reheat when needed. Works well for meat, but tends to sometimes overcook veg

The casserole should do two of us for three meals each midweek, probably with jacket potatoes and peas added. We've got a yellow sticker pizza for tonight - cheese feast, yum!
    "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" - George Eliot

Grocery Challenge April 18 183.42 / 250 = 66.58
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 29,174 Thanks
    caronc
    frugalish - my sister has had the Tesco one for a while. Mine are "Cookworks" from Argos, also cheap & cheerful both are well used and 10+ years old. I bitterly regret being persuaded to give my old Tower one away the newer ones all seem to cook much faster!

Dinner tonight is turkey & pork mince patties stuffed with french cheese, peppercorn sauce, baked spud. flat mushroom and runner beans.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,567Posts Today

8,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Follow Martin