New glasses

Options
Big difference in prices between boots and spec savers. Are boots glasses quality are better than spec savers.? I wanted to regulate but was told it would be cheaper if I buy new frames. Need some specs with decent varifocals. Thanks

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Worth having a look at Asda too.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was more than impressed by the quality and service i received from Goggles4U and at £16 for TWO pairs why would anyone pay retail prices anymore?
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    antenna wrote: »
    I was more than impressed by the quality and service i received from Goggles4U and at £16 for TWO pairs why would anyone pay retail prices anymore?

Not quite so easy with varifocals unfortunately.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not quite so easy with varifocals unfortunately.

Indeed. See Which? article
    http://www.which.co.uk/news/2012/05/10-things-to-watch-when-buying-glasses-online-286294/
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check out your local independent optician too, they are much more competitive these days and usually much better personal service.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Another vote for Asda, I have worn varifocals for 25 years and paid a lot of money in the past but for the last 7/8 years have used Asda.
  • queengoth
    queengoth Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Asda without a doubt. At the One nearest to me the offer at the moment is varifocals at the same price as single vision. The online stores like specs for less are great for single vision but I think that varifocals need to be measured up correctly. (Depth of frame etc).
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the quality of service varies depending on the staff. I have tried Specsavers, Boots two local independent and one online retailer.

I prefer Vision Express.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    Options
    antenna wrote: »

They only serve a limited prescription range.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    Options
    I use Asda too and actually got my husband to have lighter lenses, as he won't pay extra for them.

I've mentioned before but for a few pounds more I had 4 pairs from Asda,compared to two from Specsavers. This was with light lenses in all frames whereas, because of price, I only had one light lens per pair at Specsavers.

Having said that I do like the local Specsavers owner/optician as she has sorted possible hospital treatment for an eye condition that,thankfully didn't need it, so I have sight and retinopathy tests with Specsavers and buy glasses from Asda who can't do retinopathy tests.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback