PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I too was an avid reader and read all of the above girls' books, plus Noel Streatfield (Ballet Shoes etc), but having two older brothers I also read Billy Bunter, Biggles, the William books, then the Colditz books followed by Alistair Maclean & Len Deighton from my dads shelves. I also read Agatha Christie, the Bertie Woodhouse books, Elizabeth Gaskell, Georgette Heyer & Jane Austen, then all the Miss Read books.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

Busy weekend and start to the week here, just taking my morning break now. I'm trialing a new breakfast--peppers, spring onions and eggs scrambled with a few herbs, in a wrap with cheese. I've been making three at a time and microwaving one each day. I think I'll try freezing a couple next week. The aim is to cut down my eating time before the early starts for the commute.

Hester--I think the carrots, milk and onion make you look sensible and like you're about to whip up something delicious.

Nursemaggie--ouch, those hours will take some getting used to in your small space.

I was a reader as well. I've never read Enid Blyton--I don't think she was very common across the pond, but I read all of the Green Gables books and almost anything else I could lay my hands on. I started on the Brontes at 11 and never looked back. I've only discovered Agatha Christie in the last few years--I didn't like mysteries when I was younger. These days I'm mostly reading for work, but I try to always have a 'treat' book on my bedside table. Half the time those end up getting dragged into work as well, but I don't mind the reading.

Well I'd better get back to work. I want to finish at 3:00 today and go Blackberry picking for jelly.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Mar, I'll join you on a Ratty sarky old bat thread, I have already made a vow to pull no punches when I work my final 6 weeks, a few people are going to be told things in no uncertain terms.

Another avid reader here, fortunately I have a kindle otherwise the boat would sink under the weight of the books. I think I have read every book mentioned on here, through reading to my own children, which I did until they were in their teens, I discovered Michelle Magorian, Anne Fine and Jacqueline Wilson.

The island we are on looks as though there have been some Swallows and Amazon adventures going on, dens made from branches and bonfires etc.

I'm not sure where we will moor up today, it's a case of wait and see.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,765 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my goodness, all these Chalet School readers....I always thought that apart from one other friend I was the only one until they were mentioned the other day. I've also read all the Miss Read books and another favourite was Lilian Beckwith who wrote about life on a Scottish croft. There was also Jane Duncan who wrote the "My Friend" series. I'm sure I still have some of those to find and read. I always look in second hand book shops.

I was another under the blankets reader but the house troll is a functional reader who didn't really see the point of reading until he needed instructions for something. He's in the top set for English though so I let him be. He did enjoy the Terry Pratchett book that he had to read for school so there's hope.....
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning All!
    Another avid reader here too - was allowed to have my Berlinguer (?? bed light you silly thing) on for half an hour to read. My dad got me on Hans Christian Anderson for my first 'proper' book' - no pictures! Never did Enid - I did Black Beauty, Little Women, Heidi. As I got older it was Nicholas Monsarrat, Cronin, Norse and Greek Mythology (only child is my excuse!) Now I'm into Michael Connolly and similar.
    Went down to the boat yesterday evening with DS1 and pottered - had a play with checking 'prop' walk' which is the way the boat tends to veer when in reverse. We've decided mine goes to port (left) it's good to know when you are trying to moor in a tight space! Hoping to get a trip out later today.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was another Chalet School addict - all 52 of them (!). Did anyone else read Family from One End Street by Eve Garnett - there were 3 in the series. I loved all of Enid Blyton except the Secret Seven - don't know why. And the Ronald Welch historical ones - all about one family in different time periods.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I need to stop musing . It sends us all off down memory lane :rotfl:
    The Brontes , J Austen , Dickens , AJ Cronin we were all under the covers reading in unison . I read the Famous Five when young but didn't get on with the Secret Seven .
    Poetry was my big thing on sleepless nights I would recite poetry to lull me to sleep . " The Night Mail " for very good for that .
    I have read all the books by Lilian Beckwith and think of Mar when I remember "The Hills is Lonely" :D
    I didn't get on with any of the books set in boarding schools .

Cranky If he needs him Pratchett will find the HT . At a time of isolation and desperation he found my youngest and he's never left her . My older three never got into him but youngest and I did .
    We have things in common . We spoke of walks along NB Prom , we both lived near the seaside and now you've mentioned Milton .
    My eldest lived in four different locations in Scotland when she was regional manager for Scotland . One was up from Aberfoyle village in a house alongside the river opposite the beginning of the road to the forestry area . I miss it still .
    The two dogs I have owned were a manic welsh collie in the 50s . I think he'd have been better if we had a herd of sheep . Early 80s we owned a black lab who ate the doors , door frames and every thing else in sight whether we were home or not .
    Sun has got it's hat on , hope everyone has some too .
    polly
    I will try hard not to ponder !
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My eldest DD so loved the Chalet School books as a child that over the years she has managed to aquire (in mostly paperbacks) the entire set and all the periphery books linked to it. They take pride of place in her library (study lined with history and politics text books as she teaches both) and get pounced on by visiting colleagues and friends and devoured avidly. She also liked Enid Blyton but the Faraway tree and the Magic Chair style books rather than famous five etc. The writing style is very dated by todays standards but was I suspect in vogue when they were written and we were all much more innocent and not so worldly cynical!
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Welcome back Lyn. The Faraway Tree and the rest of the series are firm favourites of my youngest and she does read them often again .
    Sunny and blustery so I'm about to hang the second load on the line
    pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2017 at 10:45AM
    Options
    thriftmonster I have a new copy of The family from One End Street on my shelf! It was reprinted a few years ago as a "Children's classic". I haven't seen the other two though, but i did read them as a child.

Someone mentioned Dornford Yates - monna, I think? My Dad was a great fan, so I've read most of those. My favourite is The House that Berry Built - I still have my Dad's copy :), perhaps that's why it's special to me. But my favourite scene in any Berry book was where he went to a fancy dress ball as Little Bo Peep :D

I really enjoyed the Chalet School books, and felt that I would never at all mind if I was sent to boarding school provided it was just like that!

ETA Ooh, Lyn's back :j

I loved the Faraway Tree books but my parents felt I was a bit old for them at the time I discovered them (borrowed from a friend) so refused to buy them for me. So the friend in question, who I met when she came to stay nearby with her Gran for part of the holidays, always brought them with her so that I could borrow them again. I made sure my own children had them, and was only too pleased to read them a chapter at bedtime, even though the chapters were very long! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback