Which Broad band should i get ?

Options

Comments

• nicholasuk
    nicholasuk Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know how much cancelling my bt is likely to cost. The guy on the phone seemed to suggest i would be on a rolling contract after 4 years of being with bt. Would be nice if theres no exit fee.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Worse case 1 months fee

Plus £30 cessation fee as you are not migrating broadband

You do realise you really need business broadband if your girlfriend needs to work from home
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • nicholasuk
    Options
    I was looking at the business one,

i figured the business one would be less consumer friendly.

I work from home too, for a few months during the course of the year.

Either way, the direct debit set up on my business account and ill be claiming all of it as an expense :money:
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nicholasuk wrote: »
    Well would be nice if it was the 300mbps a second.

Do they run a new cable to my house of try to squeeze this down the old bt one?

They are not BT OR users VM use their own cables .

BT contract ended then its a rolling 30 day contract with 30 days notice .Otherwise its the balance of remaining months if you are in contract .
    Looks like your £70 charges are due to not negotiating a contract and paying the very high standard charges .
  • nicholasuk
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    They are not BT OR users VM use their own cables .

BT contract ended then its a rolling 30 day contract with 30 days notice .Otherwise its the balance of remaining months if you are in contract .
    Looks like your £70 charges are due to not negotiating a contract and paying the very high standard charges .

Its down to them just setting prices and thinking no one will ever leave them i guess. I saved money today either way, not as much as id liked but tired of slow bt internet.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes negotiate and you would have been roughly 50% off your £70 .
    My contract has in effect ended for the last three years and each negotiation has resulted in a slight decrease on the old contract . Multiple MSE posts on the subject and don't forget to negotiate once your VM contract ends .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't VM explain the installation process to you ?
    They should have given you a date for the install, you may find that sometime before that (if the property hasn't had 'cable' access before) a VM team will run a cable from their street cab to the wall of your property, then on the installation date another VM engineer will complete the install.
    Obviously , now you have signed up with VM is doesn't really matter , but in all likely hood you could have probably got your old service down to much less than half what you were paying ( if it were just line and regular broadband)
    I have VM broadband and it is fine, but some people do seem to suffer from 'over utilisation', in other words too many people sharing the available bandwidth and suffer slow throughput as a consequence, hopefully you won't be in one of these areas
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VM BB works great for me, with having various devices connected to wifi and ethernet, its really good when it comes to the Xbox One or the games needing gigabytes of updates.
  • nellieK
    nellieK Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TalkTalk is certainly cheaper. It is OK as long as you do not have to contact them. Also their new advert says:
    Your recommended plan

Peace of mind. It matters. No price rises, guaranteed and everything you have now stays the same. However, if you see a better TalkTalk deal at any time, you're free to switch to it. No ifs, no buts.

tt_icon-fast-rocket
    Faster Fibre Broadband

Do more online across more devices

£26.50 a month for 18 months.
    Includes line rental

No usage caps and speeds of 55Mb - 74Mb
    Price fixed for 18 month contract. Other contract lengths available
    BUT when you go to get it only 38MB is actually on offer not the 55MB-74MB. if you want 76MB then you have to pay £5 more/month
  • Mmck
    Mmck Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Been with virgin media for years and quite happy with it until recently. I got a call from them offering me a loyalty reward of free sky sports and sky cinema for 6 months. I should've known it was too good to be true!! Just got my bill and they've changed my call package which I had for years without telling me. I always paid for anytime calls but they removed this and charged me almost £50 for calls!! Also put me on a new contract which means another year with them. I was assured the only change was the free sky and everything else stayed the same. Having a lot of hassle communicating with them. No manager available etc and told I should have checked and not just believed them!! Waiting for a manager to call back regarding what I consider is sharp practice at least. A 'free' loyalty gift just cost me £50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure