Which Broad band should i get ?

Options
Today i was browsing im not happy with BT i seem to always end up paying 70£ a month, admittedly i always pay the bill late lol but my speeds are

like 14 download and 2 upload.

I think id rather get away from BT though to be honest, they've robbed me enough.

I was looking at Virgin Media

Up to 200Mbps download + Up to 20Mbps upload + No traffic management Doesn't seem to be any cash back offer for that. I only just remembered cash back ive never done it before.

I need a high speed. My GF will be moving in with me later in the year and she uses a lot of devices for her work from home (could be over ten lol) and i do web work now and then and hate slow screens. Want blistering fast.

I see EE have some nice cash back 125£ , im guessing they use Virgin Fiber cables?

I basically just want Broad Band to be honest, i don't need a home phone.

Any thoughts?

:money:

Nick

Comments

• Rollers_63
    Rollers_63 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    If you can get Virgin Media then perhaps give them a go. I think they do a broadband only version if you don't need a home phone.
    I moved from BT in March, and it was a good move. It wasn't so much the service with them but their Billing. I was with them for about 18 months in total and for about 8 months of that they got my billing completely wrong. Took ages to put right.
    I can't get Virgin where I live so cannot comment on how good it it...............gotta be better than BT though !
  • nicholasuk
    nicholasuk Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Yes i can get virgin, they spammed me with about ten thousand flyers in the four years ive been here. The deals don't seem as good as they used to be though.

Just wonder if theres a better price to be had with a supplier that uses virgins network.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nicholasuk wrote: »
    Yes i can get virgin, they spammed me with about ten thousand flyers in the four years ive been here. The deals don't seem as good as they used to be though.

Just wonder if theres a better price to be had with a supplier that uses virgins network.

As far as I am aware only Virgin use the Virgin network.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi have EE broadband no problems, as you say through Open-reach BT, good and quick cashback with Top cash back.
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP you are paying a lot is that a result of multiple BT services .

Supply is basically via either .
    VM own line or via BT OpenReach line .
    Speed will depend upon individual circumstances its possible that your line to the premises is slow . If you are measuring speed over wifi then it could be your equipment/ settings at fault .
    Check if you can get VM via the web site first .
  • nicholasuk
    Options
    Yes virgin cover me. The bt is just broadband and phone even though i dont have a phone and probably some caller id rubbish.
  • nicholasuk
    Options
    I think im gonna call virgin, the gamer pack with seems the best, but im gonna see if i can get them to give me some months free to offset the cost thst bt will probably want to charge

Ive been with bt four years here no doubt they auto renew the contracts and charge a fortune to leave
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,649 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Virgin are worth a look. IME you get the speed offered, but they know that and charge accordingly.
    They might have attractive deals for new customers. Their "Superhub" used to be far from super when it came to WiFi range, but the later ones offer both 2.4 and 5GHz connectivity and are much better.
    There's little to be saved by not having the phone line, and it may even exclude you from some of their deals, so don't just look at prices without a line.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• nicholasuk
    Options
    Well i failed to haggle any lol and ended up going for the fastest deal they had . 300mbps.

But,

It will be cheaper than 70£ a month and my internet speed will hopefully be many many times faster.

They did say they chuck in the tv bundle for free but i didn't want it.
  • nicholasuk
    Options
    Well would be nice if it was the 300mbps a second.

Do they run a new cable to my house of try to squeeze this down the old bt one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure