Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Who is watching the CCTV?

I would find it unnerving having CCTV inside my home.

So would I.....this is the work television and the work CCTV and it would be the bosses looking at it by remote feed.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Lydia, my view is that the bit in your sig about your boys is the best bit. It's the hardest hitting bit.

Without that, it might be easy to overlook the message, as everyone knows that car tyres shouldn't be too low in tread, but I bet a lot of people would read it and forget it, (not being rude, but you know what I mean), were it not for the very personal bit about your boys and the seat belts.
    That bit always make me metaphorically sit up and take stock; reality check; it could so easily have been a terrible tragedy but for those belts, and may not have happened but for the tyre treads being low.

I hope you will reconsider.

As for the bad taste........ well at first reading, I didn't get the link between the bereavement thing and the tyre thing. It wa only after you asked if it were in bad taste that I saw what you meant.

The point is, that if people do see a link, it will hit the point home even harder....... and if it saves only one life as a result of someone checking their tyres, or putting on their seat belt, then it's worth the odd person thinking it's 'bad taste'.

Thank you for such a considered response. I'll take your advice when I'm allowed to. So far I've only got as far as the automated response to say my request has arrived. :)

Although the terrible tragedy of a child death was averted in my family's case, the same can't be said for the other family whose car was involved in an accident caused by the same flooded drain. The 10-year-old in the back of that car wasn't wearing his seatbelt, and didn't make it. :(

We were told about it while DS and DD were still in hospital having their comparatively minor injuries treated. Talk about hard-hitting... DD is now one of merely 3 kids on her school bus who wear them, and DS has gone one further - he flatly refused to go on his end of primary school treat with the rest of his class, because it would have involved riding in a limo with no belts. I read something several years later about how parents should continue checking and enforcing seat belts until their kids were grown up, and not just trust them to do it themselves. Err, no... I can absolutely trust mine on that! :)

PS I only have one boy - my younger child is a girl!

On a lighter note, I went to see Aged P yesterday. He is making gradual progress arranging his books in his bookcases but wanted me either to find the instructions for the washing machine or teach him how to use it because it's rather different from the one he's been used to. I did both of those.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Volvo snitches on who is strapped in and who isn't. I don't set off until they are all strapped in. It also makes an unpleasant racket if anyone undoes their belt whilst the car is in motion.

I had a dreadful crash just after I learnt to drive. The car was pretty much demolished. Fortunately, I had my seat belt on, and I got out of the car and (literally) walked home.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My "obsession" is "Sad stories and tragedies and ....what happened next?"

I read this description of a soldier's belongings arriving home - written by the soldier's fiance who had gone to his parents' house when she'd found he'd died - and she arrived just after his belongings had been emptied from the parcel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/nov/14/first-world-war-vera-brittain

So then I thought "Awww.... wonder if she ever married" - and you'll never guess whose mum she ended up being!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Brittain
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    So would I.....this is the work television and the work CCTV and it would be the bosses looking at it by remote feed.
    No picking your nose, or adjusting your knickers then! :rotfl:

LydiaJ wrote: »

PS I only have one boy - my younger child is a girl!
    oops! :o:o:o
    Must be muddling you with Sue. Sorry!

GDB2222 wrote: »
    My Volvo snitches on who is strapped in and who isn't. I don't set off until they are all strapped in. It also makes an unpleasant racket if anyone undoes their belt whilst the car is in motion.

What a wonderful idea! :T

Mine has a light to tell me, on the rare occasion if I've forgotten, or if the front passenger isn't belted, (although I won't drive off until they are belted to my satisfaction!), but there's nothing for any rear passengers.

I very, very rarely have rear passengers anyway, so not much of a problem.
    When I do, I go all school-marmy and keep saying 'are you belted up back there?' and won't drive off until they respond. (I'm talking adults here, not children!)
    Plus, although there's room for three in the back, there isn't a middle seat belt, so I won't take three in the back.

I'd love a horrid warning noise!
    If it weren't for the 'headlights-on' warning sound when I get out of my car, I swear the AA would have been called out about thirty times more per year than I would otherwise do!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Running_On_Empty
    Options
    My car makes a loud noise if anyone isn't wearing a seat belt. A hire car I was in last year abroad started making an even louder noise as time went by without the driver wearing a belt but not as loud as the noise I was making screeching, put your b****y seat belt ONNNNN!
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My car makes a loud noise if anyone isn't wearing a seat belt. A hire car I was in last year abroad started making an even louder noise as time went by without the driver wearing a belt but not as loud as the noise I was making screeching, put your b****y seat belt ONNNNN!
    OTOH perhaps denying the driver a seat belt (and affixing a large spike to the centre of the steering wheel) might do wonders for road safety....

Very proud of Dd2, yesterday, football, other team voted her player of the match. Today, her age group netball, other team voted her player of the match, followed by netball for the next age group up, other team voted her player of the match. She is just so speedy, if she gets the skills to match then she will be pretty good although to be great she will also need to grow a bit taller....
    I think....
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2017 at 9:56PM
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    OTOH perhaps denying the driver a seat belt (and affixing a large spike to the centre of the steering wheel) might do wonders for road safety....

I reckon that would do the trick! :D

Has anyone eaten chervil?

I discovered it recently when my veg box people started selling it.
    I love it!
    It's a herb really, but I like eating it as a green vegetable, either raw, or in stir fries. It has a lovely delicate flavour, and i'm addicted!

It's quite nutritious too.

(Ok Pastures, enough with the posh alert! :D)

Edit..... don't try and save money by picking it wild. Apparently, it's easily confused with hemlock! :eek:

However, it's easy to grow from seed, although slugs love it!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My car makes a horrible noise too which gets ever more insistant if someone is not wearing their seat belt or decides to unclip it at any time.

There has been one occasion in my life where if we had been wearing seat belts, we would not be here now - we were in a car being chased by another car and a great big bar was swung through the back window with a heck of a lot of force, if we had been wearing belts, we would never have been able to dive out of the way in time (the belt would have stopped our very fast forward movement), as it was, we could fling ourselves down and into the foot wells of the car but that was a one off, something that could not be predicted and I always ensure I (and my passengers) wear one.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    No picking your nose, or adjusting your knickers then! :rotfl:

oops! :o:o:o
    Must be muddling you with Sue. Sorry!

What a wonderful idea! :T

Mine has a light to tell me, on the rare occasion if I've forgotten, or if the front passenger isn't belted, (although I won't drive off until they are belted to my satisfaction!), but there's nothing for any rear passengers.

I very, very rarely have rear passengers anyway, so not much of a problem.
    When I do, I go all school-marmy and keep saying 'are you belted up back there?' and won't drive off until they respond. (I'm talking adults here, not children!)
    Plus, although there's room for three in the back, there isn't a middle seat belt, so I won't take three in the back.

I'd love a horrid warning noise!
    If it weren't for the 'headlights-on' warning sound when I get out of my car, I swear the AA would have been called out about thirty times more per year than I would otherwise do!

My car's tiny (and ideal for parking in London where parking spaces are few and getting smaller in size)) but lets me know if the seat belts aren't used. I can get three in the back seat but have never done so as they'd have to get on very well with each other.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure