Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LydiaJ wrote: »
    :rotfl:
    I certainly remember freezing cold halls. Don't have to think back very far - just as far as last time I was at my dad's house during winter, which would be about 8-10 months ago.

Maybe that's why old houses tend to have doors that open towards the middle of the room - so the piano can be behind it - rather than towards the wall, as doors in modern houses do. (Or doors in older houses that have since been rehung, of course.) All the doors in my dad's house (built 1890s) open towards the middle of the room, but none of the houses I've lived in (all post war, and two this century) have done that.

Yes, you're right. Opening into the centre of the room stopped draughts from suddenly flooding the room, as they would do if the doors opened to the wall.

My house, being late Victorian, have the doors opening into the centre, which is a nuisance, but would have made perfect sense before.
    To get them rehung would be a pain, as the whole house is warped, and everything is out of true, so the doors would have to be planed to within an inch of their lives if they were turned around, and as they are the original doors, I wouldn't want to get rid of them!

I'll just live with them as being an original feature! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought it was a privacy thing, those in the room see the door moving a fair way before the domestic was able to look into the room.
    I think....
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I thought it was a privacy thing, those in the room see the door moving a fair way before the domestic was able to look into the room.

Some of my doors open into the room though. If you could open my bedroom door for example you could see straight into where the bed was designed to go. Other rooms are different though.

I have a lot to get off my chest today and I'm seemingly not in a brilliant state of mind. With other goings on within the forums unrelated to the NPT I don't feel comfortable doing it here. I may do it 'elsewhere' when I've pieced together everything myself though.
    💙💛 💔
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My house doors aren't in the corner of the room, they're about in the middle.. so you've not enough room either side of it to do anything useful!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2017 at 10:30PM
    Options
    I've never understood why it's so good to have cold damp houses for furniture. After all, they're not cold and damp all year round. I would have thought a centrally heated house would have much less in the way of seasonal changes in the environment.

Cold air outside in winter may have close to 100% relative humidity (the average is about 80% in winter), but at low temperature it takes very little moisture to saturate the air. That air gets into the house through draughts, doors opening, etc. When it gets heated up, the relative humidity drops dramatically. This is because warm air can carry more moisture than cold air. Unless you dry lots of washing indoors, I think the relative humidity inside a typical centrally heated house can drop to under 30% in winter.

Relative humidity is the amount of moisture in the air compared to the amount it could carry if fully saturated. If relative humidity is low, the air will tend to absorb moisture from the furniture, drying out the wood.

During the summer, you don't have the heating on and you probably have the windows open a lot, so the house is close to the average relative humidity for the UK - around 65%.

So, in a centrally heated house, the relative humidity varies quite a lot, between 30% in winter and 65% in summer.

In a completely unheated house, the variation will be in line with the seasons, ie between 65% and 85%.

In a badly heated house, the relative humidity will be less than 85% in winter, so with a bit of luck it may be remarkably constant, especially if there's a bit of damp! :)

See
    https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,London,United-Kingdom

average-relative-humidity-united-kingdom-london.png
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222
    Options
    Hey, that's really good mansplaining! :)

Except that Lydia did ask.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm confused by middle of the room and the wall.....could be my brain is fried which is making it all blargh to me. Is anyone able to explain please (maybe with pictures?)

Joe's wobble is slightly more than I thought, mad dash around to get things organised and I am off up to see him tomorrow by train for a couple of days and settle him down again...hence my brain being fried!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Are we allowed to know what the role is? Elsewhere if you feel here is too public, or not at all if you'd rather not, of course.

Nothing posh or even high brow but it's something I know how to do, it is easy going, and it should enable me to work and avoid having to go on ESA due to less demands on my energy levels.

Cashier at an over 18 amusement arcade.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • GDB2222
    Options
    DW called something indistinctly from the bathroom, so I went in to find out what she wanted. Apparently, she had been calling “Don’t come into the bathroom, as I’m crouched down behind the door.”
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    There is that as well...... especially for bedrooms, depending on where you put the bed, but with the door opening into the the middle of the room, there is the option to put it behind the door.

SingleSue wrote: »
    I'm confused by middle of the room and the wall.....could be my brain is fried which is making it all blargh to me. Is anyone able to explain please (maybe with pictures?)
    !
    Now,
    a) I am hopeless at drawing
    b) I did this lying in bed!

However, hopefully it should explain.
    (The curved line is the arc the door makes as it opens, and the thicker straight line is the door itself).
    The top two 'rooms' show the door at the end of a wall, while the bottom room shows the door in the middle of the wall.

So, if you are outside the room, in the hall, facing the door of the room, the door handle would be on the right, if the door opens into the middle of the room, and on the left, if the door opens against the wall. Both of those doors would be at the end of a wall.

If the door is actually in the middle of the wall, it could open either right or left, but I have only shown one option.

IMG_0561.jpg

I know this has stretched the thread a bit, so I will delete the drawing after a bit. :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport