Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,443Posts
    • 19,106Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 7:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110 1060 998 948
Page 58
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Nov 18, 9:20 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The weather has been lovely today, blue sky and mild for November, had a walk for an hour with the dog. Much nicer than the pouring rain yesterday. The heating has been off.

I got my latest clubcard statement and have a 2 voucher to use. I only use the local express for petrol on the way to work, so I will probably use the voucher for milk.

I went to asda today for lightbulbs 2 for 3. I also got a pizza on offer 1.20.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Nov 18, 6:46 PM
    • 13,736 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on sorting the fridge and also all the great dog walking. I still cant believe that you spend only 50 in a month on fun.

I seem to spend that every weekend when I meet up with friends. Right from now on I am going to stop meeting for meals which end up costing me too much. It is a waste of money. I always say this and then end up spending on the same things. Now is the right time to change.
    Christmas Fund 20
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE & OVERPAY!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Nov 18, 6:58 AM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hi SW. Some of my friends are in a similar situation to me with not much money so we tend to go for cheaper pubs with deals like 2 for 8.99 or toby carvery where you can get a meal and refillable coke and just keep topping up your glass, or wetherspoons when they do meal deals including a drink, or we use vouchers and I often drink tap water which is free. It would be a shame if you had to stop going out with friends altogether when a few changes could be made to include you.

My friends are going to ikea today on the train and then going for drinks. I didn't fancy going. I would rather wait till next weekend when we are going to local shopping centre where parking is free and I can start looking for xmas presents. We will probably have a cheap meal somewhere local.

Its been raining in the night and is mild this morning so the heating is off. DS stayed at his girlfriends last night. Dog has been fed and is snoozing so I am back in bed, thank goodness its the weekend.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Nov 18, 4:11 PM
    • 13,736 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Your plan for meals out is fab. I will suggest it to my friends too. I am so glad it is the weekend too. It is pouring with rain by me.
    Christmas Fund 20
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 14th Nov 18, 11:19 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    savingwannabe - I also like meeting up with friends for lunch or coffee rather than dinner. The food is cheaper but we also get to spend more time together as there's no rush to get back home at a reasonable time. Double win
    MFW 2019 challenge #99: 158.53 / 6,000
    MFiT-T5 (Jan 2019 - Jan 2022) challenge #99: 158.53 / 30,000
    Save 12k in 2019 challenge #99: 2340 / 12,000
    2019 keep moving challenge: 39.2 / 1000 miles
    Last updated: 19/01/2019
    Initial MF date (18th Dec 2018): Jan 2054 Current MF date: Feb 2053
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Am glad it's Friday. The weeks seem a bit if a blur at the moment.

Had a good night out last night with friends. We went to wetherspoons for curry night 7.95 with a drink. One of the girls also bought me a diet coke and a cup of tea as I was designated driver. I had naughty carrot cake 1.99 so total cost under a tenner chatted the night away got in just past midnight !

I was tired today so had a snooze after work Am now getting ready to go to another friends house for a few drinks and snacks. She lives nearby so no taxi or driving and some other friends are going so should be a good night. I got a bottle of Rose in aldi 2.49 and some nibbles 1.10 and 1.29 so total under a fiver. It's typical all the invites come at once though and quiet for the rest of the month !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 17th Nov 18, 5:58 PM
    • 13,736 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello I am glad you are having fun. I am having a restful weekend. The temperature is likely to drop and become colder so I am staying in. lol.
    Christmas Fund 20
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Nov 18, 6:39 AM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It was a nice sunny day yesterday. I had a bit of a hangover but managed to take the dog to the park for a run around and then home to hang out washing and a big fry up I did some tidying and snoozing and watching TV before walking the dog again around 4.30 before it got fully dark. I don't like these dark nights drawing in !

The washing was mostly dry apart from my jeans which finished off over airers by the radiators. I had the heating on at 6pm and 10pm for 15 minutes to take the chill off. Apart from that it wasn't too cold. May be different today there is a chill in the air when I let the dog out. She now snoozing after her breakfast so I'm back in bed

I paid 62 off my 0% credit card yesterday so once the payment has cleared I will amend my signature. That should take the balance to below 1000

I don't think I will have much left at the end of the month to put in the emergency fund. I need to pay 18 for the balance of my Christmas meal out with the girls so I might take that out of the Christmas fund. I also need to set aside at least 30 for taxi and drinks.

I've also been sent a voucher for 50% off mains at toby carvery or harvester, valid next week Monday to Thursday. Am trying to find someone to go with
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Nov 18, 7:10 PM
    • 13,736 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I hope the pills start working soon.

I am glad the credit card bill is going down. I hope you enjoy your Christmas meal. I have no spare money at all and applaud you for paying things off. This might end up being my cheapest xmas ever!!!!
    Christmas Fund 20
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Nov 18, 7:48 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I hope the pills start working soon.
    Originally posted by savingwannabe

?? I think you must have mixed me up with someone else SW... for once I am ok Lots of colds going round at work at the moment.

Two puppy walks done today, bathroom cleaned and one load of towels washed and dried outside. Had a snooze on the sofa this afternoon and for once the dog curled up and slept next to me ... she usually gets all silly when we sit on the sofa with her and starts jumping on us and pulling at our clothes so it was lovely to snuggle up with her. Then she went back to biting again so we went back to sitting in separate chairs

Gas & electric are increasing from December and union fees are going up too, so it will be back to 50 a month off the 0% credit card. I was looking at my loan payments this afternoon and I will have paid off my car by 1/1/2020 (14 months) so I will be 160 a month better off then.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Nov 18, 12:44 PM
    • 13,736 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG I must have mixed you up. Someone is on antibiotics but I am so confuzzled with who it is as I have been marking over the weekend and this morning and am now seeing stars.

You cant be ill as you have been walking the puppy. It is cold so wrap up warm.
    Christmas Fund 20
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 19th Nov 18, 11:33 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Chrystal
    OMG I must have mixed you up. Someone is on antibiotics but I am so confuzzled with who it is as I have been marking over the weekend and this morning and am now seeing stars.

You cant be ill as you have been walking the puppy. It is cold so wrap up warm.
    Originally posted by savingwannabe

Sorry!!.... but I'm SO glad I'm not the only one to get things/people confused.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Nov 18, 6:47 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    We've had no heating again at work and I am really feeling the cold this week. Thankfully not ill though. Lots of puppy walks to try and get warm ! Heating has definitely been on !!

I went to tesfo this week and used my 2 club card voucher to get the dog a bone We have been eating out of the freezer for a week so have decided on a Chinese for a treat tonight. Just waiting for it to be delivered.

My 0% credit card is now down to 998 It is 0% for 25 months so still plenty of time to pay it off as planned. However it feels better now its under 1000

I have a day off work tomorrow and the car is going for its MOT. They will collect in the morning. I hoovered the back seats and sprayed with anti-bac spray so its not wet dog smell and covered in dog hair

I was going to go into town but didn't realise it would be so cold and that its black Friday, so may give that a miss. My back is already aching with the cold so I don't want to make it worse waiting for a bus. Am waiting to hear from a friend about going for lunch at local pub where its 2 for 8.49. Otherwise I will just walk the dog and maybe go into loft and find my xmas decs. I put my tree up the first weekend in December.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Nov 18, 6:45 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Car passed its MOT My car insurance renewal arrived today and my premium has gone up by about 2. I will get some quotes over the weekend and see if I can get it any cheaper.

Took the dog for a lovely walk this morning. We have both had a snooze this afternoon and then had another walk around 4pm.
    DS is home for dinner so we are having home made burgers for tea. I've managed to avoid the shops and no black Friday spending
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 24th Nov 18, 7:23 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Puppy has been poorly since last night bless her. Had to stop feeding her for 12 hours then she has just had a small amount of boiled chicken breast and boiled white rice. She seems a lot better this evening.

No dog walk this morning. I went out with a friend & had some lunch and hot chocolate 7.75. Also got a new dec for the tree 75p, some shower gel for DS stocking 1.

I've booked a hair appointment for next week and set aside 30 for drinks and taxis for ladies xmas lunch next weekend. DS was here for dinner so we had fish and chips from freezer. It was quite a warm day with a few showers, but chilly tonight and pouring with rain so the heating is on again !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Nov 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Feeling a bit low this morning. Spoke with a friend last night to try and offer some comfort as her mum has passed away. Very emotional.

Have had to buy another section of "playpen" for puppy as DS & his gf are taking her to gf parents for xmas so I can go spend time with my DF. This is the first xmas without my DM. I used my 15 amaxon voucher that I earned doing surveys. As she will be in gf parents house and cannot be trusted not to chew/eat their furniture this was a must have ! We only have a large semi circle attached to the wall so have had to buy another section which can attach to the existing part and make a large circle big enough for her to lay down and walk around in. Will pay the balance from household bills account and should have enough left in the account to pay my annual car insurance. Also got a stocking filler for DS 3.99 paid for from xmas fund.

Its supposed to be a dry day today, so I am hoping to get some washing done and dried outside after yesterdays rain. I have lifted a joint of pork out of the freezer last night and am going to put it in the slow cooker later. Puppy seems much better and has had the last of the boiled chicken and rice this morning, so will see how she is today and may put her back on her normal dog food this evening. I got her a small Christmas tin 1 yesterday to put in the dog biscuits I bought in pets at home 2, so she is sorted for a Christmas present
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Nov 18, 11:41 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    We had a lovely roast dinner yesterday with some pork leftover. I had some today on a bread roll with apple sauce for lunch. Came home early and took the dog for a run in the park before going to the hospital. She is all better now thankfully. The hospital have now decided my voice problem is muscular damage from my op �� and they are sending me for speech therapy even though last time a different doc insisted speech therapy was not an option ! Oh well who am I to question highly trained doctors. Will hope it works.

More meals from freezer tonight but will need to get a bit of food shopping tomorrow.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 30th Nov 18, 11:56 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Payday

Had a lovely walk on the common with the dog this afternoon it was dry, mild and sunny. Made the most of it as it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Puppy wore herself out running around and spent the rest of the afternoon snoring loudly on the sofa

Managed to get work clothes washed and part dried on the line.

My coop membership card points vouchers have arrived. 8 this year which will buy chocolate for DS stocking fillers. I ordered some doggie wrapping paper from ebay for puppy Xmas presents & DS dog socks from ebay 1.80 really cute covered in Labradors with Santa hats on

Will work out my December budget in morning on my laptop. Posting on phone now on way to bed zzzz
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Dec 18, 9:49 AM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,106 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 1
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1110
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 300 from DS food & bills
    Total monthly income.................... 1410

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 214.9
    Council tax............................. 140
    Electricity............................. 60 & gas
    Water rates............................. 46
    Telephone (land line)............. 52 & tv/TiVo/internet
    Mobile phone............................ 7.52
    TV Licence.............................. 12.37
    Groceries etc. ......................... 300
    Petrol/diesel........................... 30
    Car maintenance (including MOT).28.04
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Entertainment........................... 50
    union................................... 7.92
    annual bills............................ 100
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1098.75

Unsecured Debts
    Description.Monthly...APR
    car.........160.......0
    cc1 .........50........0
    cc2..........98........0
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........308.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,410
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,098.75
    Available for debt repayments........... 311.25
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 308

Amount left after debt repayments....... 3.25

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

This months budget looks tight and I have to get petrol to travel up north for Christmas but I will use the Birthdays/Christmas fund (saved 50 per month on SOA) for presents & fuel. No need to buy extra Christmas food as I will be staying with family. Car insurance is due but this will come out of household bills account (100 per month on SOA) so hopefully should be ok.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 01-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Dec 18, 7:32 PM
    • 13,736 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Your SOA looks good to me. Your friend must be so pleased that you were there for her. Well done on saving for Christmas. I hope the hospital is able to help you at last.
    Christmas Fund 20
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,463Posts Today

7,866Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin