Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,388Posts
    • 19,040Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110 1060
Page 58
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Nov 18, 9:20 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 19,040 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The weather has been lovely today, blue sky and mild for November, had a walk for an hour with the dog. Much nicer than the pouring rain yesterday. The heating has been off.

I got my latest clubcard statement and have a 2 voucher to use. I only use the local express for petrol on the way to work, so I will probably use the voucher for milk.

I went to asda today for lightbulbs 2 for 3. I also got a pizza on offer 1.20.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Nov 18, 6:46 PM
    • 13,639 Posts
    • 47,104 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on sorting the fridge and also all the great dog walking. I still cant believe that you spend only 50 in a month on fun.

I seem to spend that every weekend when I meet up with friends. Right from now on I am going to stop meeting for meals which end up costing me too much. It is a waste of money. I always say this and then end up spending on the same things. Now is the right time to change.
    Christmas Fund 41.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Nov 18, 6:58 AM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 19,040 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hi SW. Some of my friends are in a similar situation to me with not much money so we tend to go for cheaper pubs with deals like 2 for 8.99 or toby carvery where you can get a meal and refillable coke and just keep topping up your glass, or wetherspoons when they do meal deals including a drink, or we use vouchers and I often drink tap water which is free. It would be a shame if you had to stop going out with friends altogether when a few changes could be made to include you.

My friends are going to ikea today on the train and then going for drinks. I didn't fancy going. I would rather wait till next weekend when we are going to local shopping centre where parking is free and I can start looking for xmas presents. We will probably have a cheap meal somewhere local.

Its been raining in the night and is mild this morning so the heating is off. DS stayed at his girlfriends last night. Dog has been fed and is snoozing so I am back in bed, thank goodness its the weekend.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Nov 18, 4:11 PM
    • 13,639 Posts
    • 47,104 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Your plan for meals out is fab. I will suggest it to my friends too. I am so glad it is the weekend too. It is pouring with rain by me.
    Christmas Fund 41.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 14th Nov 18, 11:19 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    savingwannabe - I also like meeting up with friends for lunch or coffee rather than dinner. The food is cheaper but we also get to spend more time together as there's no rush to get back home at a reasonable time. Double win
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018 | spring 2019 | winter 2018

Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. DONE
    Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr '18) | 14.1% (2nd Jul '18) | 15.6% (31st Jul '18) | 16.9% (1st Sep '18) | 18.0% (6th Oct '18) | 18.4% (31st Oct '18) 23.9% (2nd Nov '18)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,424Posts Today

6,998Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin