PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Make do: LO beans used up
    Mend: me - bed rest today just the thing
    Minimise: recycling moved from counter to recycling bin

Well done caronc, a perfect mmm day :T
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    *Jellie* wrote: »
    Making do for me will often be me argueing with myself about buying new things. Today I am struggling with an urge to get a basic fitness tracker to work out miles walked this year. I have health and mobility issues and ideally need to stay as active as possible. However, I am going to make do and find my old pedometer and get it a new battery. I will just have to live with approximating distance from steps.

If you have a smartphone you can get free fitness apps that include stepcounters
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I love mending so I like this thread. I have been trying to buy less stuff for a few years but also not buy new where possible. I fixed some hedge trimmers a couple of years ago with a 50p part from ebay. I now have a chainsaw I bought for 99p that needs fixing...

Leftover ideas we use a lot in our house
    Leftover stew risotto
    Leftover roast chicken risotto
    Any spuds go into a spanish omelette
    Thai chicken noodle soup
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Minimised me by 2lb this week
    Making Do with whats in freezer and made two nice plant containers out of an old bedside cabinet and a bread bin.
    Slimming World at target
  • LizzieR
    LizzieR Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Been keeping up with this thread but been so busy I've not had chance to post anything!
    Lots of minimising here as I've sorted through paperwork and managed to cull about 4 large boxes full of the stuff - lots of shredding - although I'm sure there must be a better way to spend my evenings....!
    A bit of mending this morning - sewed a hole in a pair of leggings and resewed the loop on a waterproof jacket (needed with Doris in full swing!) so I can hand it on a hook.
    Also making great progress on my crocheted cover for my armchair - I've made over 150 of the little shapes and have started sewing a few together - it's going to look amazing, if I do say so myself!!
    Stay safe in this weather everyone!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Had to go and spend some cash this morning:(my mobile charger was not working so I had to go and buy a new lead for it Blooming thing £14.99 for a bit of wire with a connector on either end:mad:But resisted going into M&S with my voucher and have saved it along with some others for when I go up to the west end with DD in April for our annual London spring shopping spree (well she shops and I watch :):) normally) But Oxford street in the spring is always interesting and we always have a decent lunch when we are out
    Came back home and have been doing lots of paperwork this morning and all my spreadsheets are all up to date and the budget lists are all sorted for Jan -February.
    Just going to have a sort out of my wool stash now and see what I shall keep and what will go to the chazzer, some of the colours I have are too dark for the blankets I knit for The Linus Trust so I shall pass them on and maybe someone else can use them.

dinner tonight is virtually all from the freezer apart from pud which is coconut yogurt.still working my way through the freezer:):)
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Frudd wrote: »
    If you have a smartphone you can get free fitness apps that include stepcounters

I didn't know that Frudd .. I'll be downloading an app pronto:T
  • keepcalmandcraft
    Options
    Can I join you?

Trying to make do with whats in the freezer and cupboards as seriously need to stop spending.
    Also need to minimise a lot of clutter about the place. 3 bags went to the CS this weekend.
    Have done lots of mending this week: taken up 2 pairs of trousers for DH, put elastic in skirts and trousers for DDs and taken in a skirt for me.
    Stash busting challenge 2024: 3/100 £0/£50 Fashion on the ration 2024: 0/66
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make do: mash and leek&parsley sauce from the feezer used up to make fish
    Mend: me-rehab exercises re-started
    Minimise: recycling moved from the kitchen counter to the bin
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2017 at 8:57PM
    Options
    Make do: very basic meal tonight - some cheesy pasta out of the freezer, plus some nuked frozen butternut squash, and a couple of sticks of celery. Could NOT be bothered to cook! Was out at lunch time with DD no. 4 - had IKEA fish and chips!

Mend: I went to IKEA to get a new rug for my bedroom - found a good one, (on offer with the Family card) - a tealy/turquoisey blue. In their bargain area I found a fleece throw in a similar colour, reduced because it had a few tiny holes on one side. I will mend it in a few minutes, then it will look good thrown on my bed under my red cushions.

Minimise - nothing apart from getting the recycling ready to be collected tomorrow.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure