PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello all.

Loving reading what everyone is up to. LizzieR hope you're feeling better soon.

Had a productive weekend, now only have 2 doors left to hang but they've been measured and cut to size. We discovered that some of the screw heads were very worn down so instead of attempting to use them I'll pick up some new ones on the way home from work tomorrow. So by the end of tomorrow evening we should have fully functioning doors again throughout the whole flat. The ones we've done already make a huge difference to the temperature in the flat :D

Other than the doors, I've been watching the rugby - very happy after the Scotland game yesterday :D I did some baking today and made some soup so that will be lunches sorted for the week. I've also made a meal plan for the week and list of what we need. OH requested fajitas this week so we will be having that tomorrow :) Had a super simple tea tonight - egg fried bread, sausages and mushrooms, was yummy!

It's payday tomorrow for me so I will be minimising some more of my debt :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    My fridge has been really noisy for the last few days, and seems to have forgotten that it should have quiet "resting" spells.

So, do I get it MENDed?
    Or MAKE DO with it as it is?
    Or should I MINIMISE and kiss it goodbye?

What would you do?
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    My fridge has been really noisy for the last few days, and seems to have forgotten that it should have quiet "resting" spells.

So, do I get it MENDed?
    Or MAKE DO with it as it is?
    Or should I MINIMISE and kiss it goodbye?

What would you do?

Mine did that about 4 years ago .. had the repair guy out and he said turn it off for at least 24hrs and give it chance to defrost properly (which threw me as it was an automatic defrost one) but he said it was the motor bit and pipes that need it .. something to do with the house being warm and motor over working (sorry that is not the technical way he said but it's been a long time!)
    Anyway I emptied it out and left it for about 36hrs and it worked! It is still going strong .. may be worth trying. X
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good morning chums,almost the end of the month and still have some cash left in my food budget purse,That will get swept into my holiday fund on Wednesday when the new month starts again.
    Still working down the food mountain in the freezer and food cupboards,Work in progress I think :)
    No food shopping to buy this week and so I shan't be going anywhere near a supermarket thank goodness.
    Minimise as much as possible is the watchword this month and maximise my savings :):):)
    nothing to mend today I finished off the charity blanket and started a new one last night,managed two squares before bedtime so was quite pleased with that will get another three done today hopefully.
    Something from the freezer will be my make do today for dinner tonight and some salady bits at lunchtime
    Keep fruggalling on chums

JackieO xx
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    LizzieR wrote: »
    I've been using 'Map my walk' for the last year or so - I love it, although you do have to remember to start it when you go for a stroll. They also send you a weekly e-mail to show you how far you've walked each week. It uses the phone's GPS to measure the distance you've gone and saves a little map of it, it can also give an indication of how many calories you've used and how many steps you've walked. I like to look at the split times for each km too as it shows where I was dawdling or really going for it. Came into its own when I did a 40+km charity walk last year - I got quicker towards the end....!

In terms of MMMing - last night I finally sewed the sleeves of a dress which I cut off over a year ago and just couldn't work out how to finish - just pinning them took over an hour! V pleased with it though, and am planning to do the second dress I cut the sleeves off at the same time this evening. Only problem now is the dresses are probably a bit big due to weight loss (all that walking ;) ) and may be unwearable by the summer....! Why do we put these things off eh?!!

Hope everyone is OK and no ill effects from Doris.

I have used that one, I like it when I am working on a big site to see how much ground I cover. My phone is a samsung so it has Samsungs own brand fitness tracker on which is where I get my stepcounter from.
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • poppy811
    poppy811 Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, the waterproofing has been replaced on my shed roof after storm Doris's ministrations. My lovely neighbour did it for me and just charged me £10.00.

The house sale appears to be back on as a new buyer has been found to complete the chain. Fingers crossed!

Youngest son (Head Chef) had an accident at work and has severe burns from wrist to elbow on his left arm. He has had excellent care from the hospital staff but has another appt. this morning to decide whether skin grafts are needed

In between babysitting his young son I am trying to minimise the dust and general muddles before visitors descend next weekend.
  • LizzieR
    LizzieR Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    poppy811 wrote: »
    Youngest son (Head Chef) had an accident at work and has severe burns from wrist to elbow on his left arm. He has had excellent care from the hospital staff but has another appt. this morning to decide whether skin grafts are needed

Hope he's OK, that sounds quite painful.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make do: end of a bag of mushrooms microwaved with baby plum tomatoes for a tasty breakfast
    Mend: me - managed with my wheels to walk to the post box and back
    Minimise: Travel expenses paperwork posted
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Winchelsea - if your fridge automatically defrosts check the small pipe at the back of the fridge (on the outside) sometimes it gets blocked and the fridge will keep running. Or maybe google it?? Might just be the thermostat.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make do: Burning candles & wax tartlets from my stockpile instead of buying new scented room stuff & tidying and cleaning an old wicker basket to display my candles on the hearth.

Mend: New artwork - bought new mounts for £1 wooden frames from the charity shop and re-framed them myself - total cost of two new pieces of artwork for the living room £25

Minimise: Only took cash today to stop overspending on the plastic
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure