PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I must start posting more regularly.

Am doing well on the minimizing front as slowly clearing out things.
    Paperwork is slowly being shredded, old clothes being made into rags, broken things being thrown and books to the charity shop.

Mending- have mended a couple of jumpers and also fixed a dripping tap.

Make do with food from the freezer and the very small onions that I grew.
    Left with the few remaining ones.
    Also sowed some seeds which were past their use by dates. I sowed more than needed so hopefully some will grow.
  • poppy811
    Options
    Certainly will have minimised my bank account as I sat on my specs! Beyond repair so have an opticians appointment this week. I have to pay for a private eye test as NHS one is not due until June; fair enough with the problems generally in the health service'

Books to charity shop and more rubbish from the shed to the dump yesterday so feeling virtuous. Paperwork for sale of this house and purchase of new one completed so next step is exchange of contracts. having been recently widowed I am finding hard to organise everything but at least it is giving me a focus.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Have spent a very enjoyable couple of evenings with a new toy I bought on ebay.
    It is a 'speed weve' which is a little tool (About 60 years old)for helping speed up darning.
    Its a disc that you use like a darning mushroom but with a separate part that helps line up the stitches and changes the position of the threads so you can weave your needle in and out.
    I think they gave them to the waaf during ww2 .
    Anyway I now have a newly mended tea towel and one pair of wearable shorts thanks to the new contraption.
    Everything with a hole is now leaping out at me as possible prey LOL

To see what I'm on about..there is a blogger named tom of holland who shows how they are used.

The Russians also had an identical version and the Canadians called their version.. 'darn easy'
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Coffeebean – A scone & butter pud, eh? Sounds possible.

Other suggestions:

Split, toast lightly, spread with butter and jam (they won’t be dry)
    Make into crumbs then stir through a yogurt or add some brown sugar and use as a substitute for crumble topping on fruit.
    Toast the crumbs and sprinkle over ice cream and fruit.
    Use in place of trifle sponges.
    Make a quick pud - a few seconds in the microwave and top with custard.:)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Afternoon all
    Hugs to all who need them and I hope everyone is as well as possible.
    Culpepper your weave easy sounds a brill little contraption

Minimised some wool stash by crocheting a Blanket for neighbour's new grandson who arrived yesterday also gave a card from the stash.

Currently burning a mandarin and clove candle from Christmas

Yesterday I made sad veg soup for dinner it was quite nice, just celery onion parsnip potato and a stock cube. Cooked then zapped with the stick blender.

Going to have a couple of hours minimising the ironing pile now
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    We hauled three boxes out of the loft and emptied the contents. One contained old bills going back twenty years! Apart from being a somewhat depressing reminder of how cheap utility bills used to be they served no useful purpose so we minimised them in the shredder!
    I repaired my watch by purchasing a new battery for it. I really missed having a watch whilst waiting for the battery to arrive.
    We also had to mend the car after it conked out because it needed a new battery. Never mind, at least the car was kind enough to break down in front of our house and not while we were out and about!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Minimised some of our paperwork and loads from MIL as we had sorted her finances.
    Made do with pork from the freezer and an Apple and veg from fridge to make tasty stew.
    A walk round Wisley restored our sanity after a morning with MIL.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Morning mmmers.
    Hope everyone is well.
    Made a start on minimising the ironing pile yesterday but still have more to do. Won't have time to finish it today as I have paid stuff then medtitation class. Hopefully thT will minimise some clutter from my mind.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 February 2017 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Got a great 'make do' for dinner tonight there was some left over roast beef and veg from dinner at DDs last night ,not enough for her to do much with so I came home with it, so only have to zap it into the microwave and make some gravy and instant dinner tonight :)
    Minimising some paperwork this morning ,no mending at the moment that I can think of , although I may try to find an allen key to sort out the loo roll holder.

Its one of those attached to the wall with an arm that you slide the loo roll onto but the arm has worked loose and now droops a bit .as far as I can see the undo it you either need a tiny screw driver or a small allen key and the bit that attaches to the tiles can then be undone and re-tightened ,(well that's the hope anyway ) I have a closer look this morning and see if I can fix it, might save me the cost of an odd job chap :):)
    have a good day chums what ever you are doing ,enjoy doing it :)

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yay am I a smart old biddy or what:):) I actually found an allen key that undid the fitting ,which I did, and took it off the wall, tightened it all up, and replaced it. I am buzzing now as I know I have saved a few quid by fixing it myself :):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure