PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello peoples! :)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a dedicated cookery thread......... apologies if there is one and I haven't seen the wood for the trees! :o

I have half a small loaf of rye sourdough bread to use up. It was frozen and then defrosted. (About 270 grams)
    I have eaten half the loaf over the last few days, and now it really needs to be used up.

It's very chewy and very filling, and I just don't feel like eating any more of it as toast or bread and butter.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I could perhaps use it in a cooked dish or something? It is very dense and has a strong , distinctive taste.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pyxis-
    Try cutting the bread into cubes, drizzle with olive oil, garlic maybe if you like it and a bit of dried rosemary and bake in the oven. They make lovely crispy croutons for soups and salads and can be stored in an airtight container.
    Scrummy. :)
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Slowdown wrote: »
    Pyxis-
    Try cutting the bread into cubes, drizzle with olive oil, garlic maybe if you like it and a bit of dried rosemary and bake in the oven. They make lovely crispy croutons for soups and salads and can be stored in an airtight container.
    Scrummy. :)

Oh thanks! I'll try that! :)

You don't think the rye makes it too dense then?

I could use a bit more olive oil, I suppose!

I'll give that a go. :T
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pyxis – Another suggestion for LO bread: tear into small pieces, dry out on baking tray in a cooling oven. Crush with rolling pin into crumbs and store in airtight jar. Use as coating crumbs (for fish fingers, chicken goujons etc) or as a crunchy topping (on cottage pie, fish pie etc).

JackieO – Oh, please don’t remind me, dentist appointment looming for me too. :(

Athome1 – You’re right, some pensioners are well off but not all. Ironically, on TV last night the Tonight programme covered how parents (and some grandparents) are now propping up their children/grandchildren by becoming “Bank of Mum & Dad”! Tbh, I wouldn’t like to be starting all over again nowadays.

Must have got my mojo back today. Trip into town for birthday cards I didn’t get last week – got eight for less than £1 each (all with nice pictures and verses) – also some sprouts, broccoli and mushrooms from market. Came home, had lunch (mulligatawny soup with crackers and an apple), wrote out four of the cards. Took two carrier bags of odds and ends to CS (wasn’t tempted to buy anything) then on to local C!op (has a Post Office in it) to post said cards and picked up a couple of YS items. Back home and baked a small wholemeal loaf for weekend.
    Our relationship with material things is I think rather complicated!
    Originally posted by chirpycheap
    Interested to read other’s thoughts about photos, cheques, jewellery.

Photos I put in albums years ago and yes, I did bin some but didn’t feel guilty ‘cos I didn’t have a clue who these people were ... and no family left to ask.

DH still has a cheque book (yep, he is a bit of a Luddite) that sees the light of day once a year when he pays for our hols but I haven’t had one for a long time.

I had Dad’s medals put into a frame with a photo of him. They will go to DS and then hopefully one of his 3 boys.

The only jewellery I wear daily is my engagement/wedding/eternity/grandma’s wedding rings and sometimes a brooch. If we go somewhere special, I have a couple of bracelets that I use. The rest I never use but I like the idea of having items melted down and re-made, if not for me then for DD, DDiL or DGD.

My minimising nemesis is going to be all the birthday/Xmas/Mother’s Day cards that I’ve saved (over almost 50 years). The conversation in my head goes something like this:

Q) Do you ever look at them? A) No.
    Q) Will you ever look at them? A) Probably not.
    Q) Is anything bad going to happen if you get rid of them? A) No.
    Q) So why are you saving them? A) Errrm? :doh:

I think I may keep some back and make them into a collage as I have a large unused photo frame that’s crying out for something in it. All suggestions welcome.

Have a good weekend all. x :wave:
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Pyxis – Another suggestion for LO bread: tear into small pieces, dry out on baking tray in a cooling oven. Crush with rolling pin into crumbs and store in airtight jar. Use as coating crumbs (for fish fingers, chicken goujons etc) or as a crunchy topping (on cottage pie, fish pie etc).

That's another good idea! The rye flavour might add something to a cottage pie type thing.

Perhaps I'll try half with the olive oil and half with the breadcrumbs.

Thanks! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi
    Just a quick note to all those with photos. Write on the back in pencil or a gel pen (anything rather than biro that can go through to the photo) everything you know about the photo, where, when and who. I am researching my family history and inherited a box full of photos of total unknowns. I vowed not to do the same to my kids.
    The days are longer and brighter, spring is on the way.......

Just to add, not gel pen it fads in time, learnt that when I was training writing hospital notes pencil, but I do echo, the writing bit, I have old family photos and I have not a clue!

I am scanning all mine, and keeping only one or two
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello one and all
    Had a busy week (are there any other kind??!!) so used a lot from the freezer so i'll have to restock it a bit...
    Made do with some stale choc-filled croissants for a bread and butter pudding this week so it used them up and dd and dh full of praise for it:D
    I'm fighting a (losing) battle against the winter blues and comfort eating at the moment but hopefully the weather will be better for a while now...so lovely to line dry some clothes these past few days! Minimised the washing a lot this week without use if the tumble-dryer.

The photo discussion is making me feel guilty...i have boxes of photos to sort and about 300 stored on the camera ... so they certainly need minimising.

Enjoy the weekend everyone:)
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2017 at 6:01PM
    Options
    Hello, can I join back in please.

I was about most of last year, but then in December work and home got busy and I wasn't sure if I was coming or going much of the time.
    I am hoping to move house shortly and will also be helping my mum to move so as I am untidy and she is a hoarder I will have a lot of minimising to do in a short time in order to get the houses sold.

I have been making do with my old bedroom curtains being put up in the study in place of some which look very dated in order to improve the look of the room, and I have bought a tester pot of colour to do some touching up on the walls of the house (I didn't have any left over from decorating)

Mending. I have fixed the leak in the shower which has been driving me mad for ages.
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • Coffeebean_3
    Options
    Hi all,

Similar to the rye bread above, I have just discovered some scones that have lived in the freezer uncovered for a while :eek: I have defrosted and they are pretty dry and have a 'freezer' taste... :( Any ideas what I can do with them as they will be too sweet for breadcrumbs? Bread and butter pud possibly?
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds delicious :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts