Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Fidothedog
    • By Fidothedog 9th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Past Due Credit - Major Problem !
    • #1
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    Past Due Credit - Major Problem ! 9th Oct 16 at 5:37 PM
    I'm really hoping that someone on here will be able to help me with this:

    About 5 years ago I separated from my then partner and moved out. She stayed in the property (and still lives there), and the electricity is on a 'pre-paid key' meter.
    Yesterday I received a letter form 'Past Due Credit Solutions' saying that I owed Scottish Power 443.89 for electricity used at that property !
    I don't see how this can be possible and why I should have been contacted about this - I have spent the last few years rebuilding my credit score and am really worried about this letter.

    Could someone please advise me on what my next steps should be ?

    Many many thanks
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 14,051 Posts
    • 13,310 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:44 PM

    You simply dispute the debt with the DCA, this is best done in writing.
    Explain you left the property 5 years ago, your ex partner still lives there, and you are not liable for this debt.

    That's it, they have to prove liability, you don't have to prove anything.

    Sending a copy to Scottish power is probebley a good idea too.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 3,994 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    Check your CR to see if there is still a financial link between you and your ex. If there is, make amends to get it disassociated.

    Do it free with Call Credit via Noddle, with Equifax via Clearscore.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 12,255 Posts
    • 9,284 Thanks
    • #4
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • #4
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    Good advice above, though you should also check/correct Experian as that is the most-used CRA

    Do Past Due quote the period the debt relates to?

    Rather than tell them when you left, I think I would get that established first.

    Then if they come up with 2012/13, say, you can respond with 'I left in 2011'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin