Past Due Credit - Major Problem !

Options
I'm really hoping that someone on here will be able to help me with this:

About 5 years ago I separated from my then partner and moved out. She stayed in the property (and still lives there), and the electricity is on a 'pre-paid key' meter.
Yesterday I received a letter form 'Past Due Credit Solutions' saying that I owed Scottish Power £443.89 for electricity used at that property !
I don't see how this can be possible and why I should have been contacted about this - I have spent the last few years rebuilding my credit score and am really worried about this letter.

Could someone please advise me on what my next steps should be ?

Many many thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

You simply dispute the debt with the DCA, this is best done in writing.
    Explain you left the property 5 years ago, your ex partner still lives there, and you are not liable for this debt.

That's it, they have to prove liability, you don't have to prove anything.

Sending a copy to Scottish power is probebley a good idea too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Check your CR to see if there is still a financial link between you and your ex. If there is, make amends to get it disassociated.

Do it free with Call Credit via Noddle, with Equifax via Clearscore.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Good advice above, though you should also check/correct Experian as that is the most-used CRA

Do Past Due quote the period the debt relates to?

Rather than tell them when you left, I think I would get that established first.

Then if they come up with 2012/13, say, you can respond with 'I left in 2011'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure