Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dw1983
    • By Dw1983 12th Aug 16, 11:19 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Dw1983
    HSBC Credit limit
    • 12th Aug 16, 11:19 PM
    HSBC Credit limit 12th Aug 16 at 11:19 PM
    Hi Guys,

I have been trying to repair my credit history after problems a few years ago I have a capital one card at 1000 limit and an Mbna at 1000 limit.

I applied and was accepted for an HSBC credit card and it's come through today with a 6000 limit just wondered what the general starting limit they give is?

Thanks for any help
Page 8
    • A4445
    • By A4445 15th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    A4445
    HSBC have finally admitted they have been so slow in processing my application (even though it got accepted) that it has expired on their system and the deal they offered me is no longer available. Hopeless.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Log a complaint you should be due some compensation!
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    No compensation is due as no financial hardship has occured
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 15th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    Alexland
    Yeah it's just annoying.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 15th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    Why the obsession with financial compensation!? No wonder stuff costs so much, you have to factor in legal costs and stupid compensation amounts for pathetic claims into the cost of products.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 19th Apr 18, 11:25 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    Interestingly just got an email from HSBC saying:

Thank you for applying for a HSBC Credit Card.
    We!!!8217;d like to apologise, that due to a technical failure, we were unable to approve your application at the time it was made.
    We!!!8217;ll reprocess your application and will be in touch with you again shortly to let you know our decision, or if we need any additional information from you to make that decision.

How does this affect your credit file?
    When you made your application, an initial credit search was applied to your credit file. But don!!!8217;t worry, we!!!8217;ll remove the credit search which was recorded when you first made your application, so please be assured your credit history will not be affected by this error.

How does this affect your application?
    We will honour the Terms and Conditions as well as any offers available at the time of your application.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 21st Apr 18, 7:29 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    Alexland
    Interesting, they haven't sent me that message.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 29th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    So, another search just been done on my credit file, but the original one still shows and so showing as a 2nd negative on Experian. They!!!8217;ve but removed the first one as promised. No major drama given I don!!!8217;t plan to apply for credit until a mortgage application in 12 months, but as far as they!!!8217;re concerned I could be imminently.

Worse of all, having tried to call them, they still have no record of me on their system. So no one can tell me what!!!8217;s going on.

They really are utterly useless.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 29th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,109 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    Alexland
    I'm not going to bother with a second application now.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 29th Apr 18, 3:12 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    Part of me just wants to let this lie now, but it's such a joke I want to share the ridiculousness of it.

Having seen the 2nd hard search, I called up to see what the hell was going on. After 25 minutes talking to one person, I was moved onto another, I think perhaps one of the underwriters by the sound of it.

So, they agreed to remove the 2nd hard search. Fine.
    They then asked what credit limit I wanted? So presumably approved now? Probably only need 3000, so said that, fine. Wonder what they would say if I said 20,001?
    All good then.
    But, then they said they need me to go into branch with some ID. Ok, bit of a faff. Only time I can realistically do is a satuday, so the earliest they could see me was a week on saturday. But, that's more than 14 days after the application, so I'd have to reapply as the ID checks need to be done sooner. ??? So then it's just a question of going in and pot luck being able to see someone?

Such a complete joke. I'm minded to just forget it. But, that'd perhaps be cutting off my nose to spite my face. A 3k limit on a VISA/MasterCard would be useful in case I cannot use my AMEX.

Just a massive massive waste of time though all this tooing and froing.
    • Crystal_Pixie
    • By Crystal_Pixie 2nd May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Crystal_Pixie
    I applied a few days ago and got a text message saying your application is approved and please sign the credit agreement emailed to you.

Only problem is after 2 days no email.

I rang up the Non HBSC customers helpline and it seems that the application is still under review. So I have to admit to being a bit confused.

Does it take several days to decide a credit limit? Who knows.
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 2nd May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    I only got the credit agreement through today having been approved at the end of last week.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 4th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7,531 Posts
    • 9,642 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    HSBC's system is ancient, apart from Current Accounts I don't think they do instant approval for cards???.
    Originally posted by Somerset La La La
    Judging by long gap between when HSBC letters are dated and when they arrive I dont think HSBC do instant anything.

Took a month after acceptance to actually receive HSBC Credit Card, after signing forms they then asked me to phone up and then asked me to go to a branch to give a specimen signature as HSBC didnt have it on file despite me currently holding a HSBC Current Account and previously having had a HSBC Credit Card

I did get 50.00 compensation, now hoping Pin number arrives before 60 days from when account was opened elapses.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 4th May 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Why would you get compensation?

What stress or monetary loss did you suffer?
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 10th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    GM1880
    Got the card through the post today.

Almost 2 months from application to card receipt!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,525Posts Today

8,006Users online

Martin's Twitter