Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • louby40
    • By louby40 17th Jun 16, 7:57 AM
    • 1,363Posts
    • 3,700Thanks
    louby40
    Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more
    • 17th Jun 16, 7:57 AM
    Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more 17th Jun 16 at 7:57 AM
    Having lurked and read quite a few diaries I thought I'd start my own. If it's down on paper then I can read back and see my progress (or not)

My debts aren't massive but my bugbear is my overdraft as I do believe if I can get that sorted everything else will fall into place

My debts are:

400-500 overdraft every month PAID
    970 cc now 90 Dec 17
    5500 left on my car loan (ends in Jan 2019) now 2696 Dec 17
    106,000 mortgage at 600 pm now 94,992 Dec 17
    6500 bank of mum and dad PAID

I have 150 in an emergency fund NOW 650

I'm just in the process of moving my current account to First Direct to take advantage of their 250 free overdraft service and 100 incentive to switch. I need to keep my o/d under the 250 and slowly begin to chip away.

My over spends are having 2 very tall teenage boys who eat a lot and extra trips to the supermarket. I also treat myself to a manicure/gel polish every month.

I'm a single mum and work as a teacher so I buy stuff for my class, extra craft bits, second hand books from Amazon, it soon mounts up.

I also need to be stricter with my boys and refuse the 2.50 they ask for lunch everyday.

I shop in Aldi and cook a lot from scratch - my slow cooker is my saviour!

I need to keep a strict spending diary and stop buying unnecessary things.
    Last edited by louby40; 17-12-2017 at 7:37 PM.
Page 39
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 3,714 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Easy done and I don't know about you but I find that I buy things for the classroom or topic and because I might have bought with something else I don't claim the money back or lose the receipt.
    Glad the first week back went well.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • louby40
    • By louby40 22nd Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Honey - yes I'm always buying stuff for school and never claim it back either.

I've had a really productive day today. We went for a 5km walk at 8am and once back DP did some cleaning and I started some school stuff. I planned a few lessons and made some notes to report back to staff about a maths course I went on a few weeks ago.

I prepped lunch - chicken and veg and then did some ironing whilst watching last nights Britains Got talent. DP watched the football (Stoke vs Burnley) - important match and there was a lot of jumping up and down and shouting.

I caught up on loads of diaries during the afternoon - something I've slacked at recently. It definitely makes you more determined to watch your spending (and saving)

lazy afternoon - just what a Sunday should be like!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 24th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Payday tomorrow and it looks like I've got an extra 5 this month with the changes to tax etc - not a lot but its better than nothing.

Allocated it to YNAB already and this month I'm determined to have no unneccesary spending, stay out of my overdraft and start doing NSD as I haven't really kept a record of them in April.

Once I start taking my eye off the ball I find I start slipping into old habits. Coming back on here and reading everyones diaries really is inspirational.

I had a good day at work yesterday. I have a student teacher with me until after May half term so it's making life a bit easier as she has to plan and teach about 40% of the timetable. She's really good and just gets on with it - she will make an excellent teacher.

Came home and did an hours work then DP and I caught up on Homeland then played some music. We've decided to each choose an album a night and listen to that instead of watching TV (which we seem to do a lot of)

Right - off to work!!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 25th Apr 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 16,108 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good on you for the renewed sense of determination.

Also - how good is Homeland?!?!?! Love it.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • louby40
    • By louby40 25th Apr 18, 8:19 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Love Homeland Speky.

I'm now waiting for the second season of Handmaids Tale - it's brilliant.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 10th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Tut tut - not been on here for a while.

Still budgeting and living and spending- but trying to be good.
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 10th May 18, 10:26 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Your turning worse than me for not posting lol I hope your okay???
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 71.38 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 371.20
    Is a few week gap.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th May 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 16,108 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Still budgeting and living and spending- but trying to be good.
    Originally posted by louby40
    I think that sums up many of us!!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 12th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Time is just whizzing by!

Last weekend we went to Manchester to see Noel Gallagher - last minute thing as DP got hold of some tickets. Great night but we didn't get home until 12.30. Spent the weekend in the garden reading and enjoying the sunshine.

This weekend has been much quieter. Rejoined the gym - need to get back to exercising as lost my way a bit these last few months.

Work is good and is having a great student working with me has definitely lightened the load slightly.

Trying to keep on top of the saving and watching what I'm spending. We've got a busy June so I'm trying to be frugal this month.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 16,108 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Louby - the weeks is whizzy by and so is the year!! Nearly bloody June!

Glad to hear things are ticking along nicely
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 15th May 18, 7:10 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Waving hello!
    Glad to hear work a bit easier. And good luck on staying frugal. June will be here before you know it. Xx
    'Start by doing the necessary, then the possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.' St Francis of Assisi
    • louby40
    • By louby40 20th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Busy few days at work - but then every day is busy when you work in a school.

This weekend has been lovely, we all went out for tea on Friday and my son drove! First time I've been in the car with him, he's got a black box fitted which has reduced his car insurance but he's finding it quite restrictive, he has an app on his phone which shows him negative or positive points depending on his driving.

DP and I went to the gym on Saturday morning and then spent the afternoon in the garden listening to music and reading inbetween washing and the usual housey stuff, We watched some TV.

Today we've done much the same. - the weather has been so lovely.

Finances are ok. Five more work days then a week off for half term!!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 20th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    10 NSD too! So far...
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 21st May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 16,108 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Louby - The blackbox is a great idea. I've personally never had one, but I would imagine it instils sensible driving from the beginning.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd May 18, 12:02 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 3,714 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    It is a weird feeling to be driven around by someone you've given birth to! Well done to your DS for passing his test. The black box seems worth doing for the reduction in insurance...still reeling from the cost of my daughter's insurance.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • louby40
    • By louby40 29th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Busy weekend again!

School ended on Friday with an amazing trip to Manchester airport with my class. It was so interesting and the kids loved it. Then I went to a colleagues baby shower which was a great way to end the week.

Saturday and Sunday was spent, going to the gym, walking, shopping and washing. I also did some school work.

Yesterday was another glorious Bank Holiday, we nipped up to the Trafford Centre before going to watch the comedian Sarah Millican at the Apollo in Manchester! Great night.

Today I've donated blood and cracked on with my school reports!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 30th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 16,108 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Oh wow! You've been very busy. Very productive.

From a financial standpoint, do you find that you spend more during half term?
    • louby40
    • By louby40 5th Jun 18, 8:44 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    Speky, my partner was at work over half term so I didn't spend much really, I usually do.

I did a lot of school stuff over the week and lots of appointments too so kept away from the shops!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Jun 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 16,108 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Over a week later and I hope you've managed to still avoid the shops. How are the NSD's coming along for June?
    • louby40
    • By louby40 18th Jun 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,363 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    louby40
    I've totally lost track of my NSD for June. I usually write it on the calendar but I've totally forgotten all about it. I've only put 5 on so far and I know it's probably a few more than that.

Busy time at work as reports and assessments become finalised. There are only 24 school days left of the year - it's gone so fast.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,467Posts Today

5,243Users online

Martin's Twitter