🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bank says I am in arrears with my loan repayments.

Options
auntmay
auntmay Posts: 7 Forumite
I took out a loan a few years ago when I was employed. The final repayment is due in mid 2017. I never missed a payment until I lost my job in July last year. Then in November the bank refunded nearly £3000 into my loan account due to some error that came to light on their part. This more than covered the missed payments and brought the balance remaining to under £1000.

If the original repayment schedule was followed and the bank had not refunded any money, it would still take 8 months from now to get the loan balance to where it actually is today. To me, that means I am at least 8 months in front with the loan repayments even though I have not made a payment since last year (that's taking into account any interest payments)

However, the bank say I am in arrears for the entire remaining balance and are making demands for payment. Surely, if the final payment is not until 2017, then I cant be in arrears for the entire balance.

As far as I see it, I am in front with the repayments but, as far as the bank sees it, I am in arrears. Who is right?

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You defaulted on the payments so they can call it in. Their refund makes no difference to this.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You said you would pay X amount each month when you took out the loan but have been unable to do so, therefore you are in arrears.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    auntmay wrote: »
    Who is right?

The bank. .
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even had you given them an extra £3k from savings (so a partial early settlement) you'd still have to pay next month, you couldn't just go "Sorry I was paying you the next 10 payments in advance".

So in this situation, you definitely are in arrears.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The bank won't be saying you are in arrears for the whole amount, but as soon as you miss a few payments they will likely have treated you as breaking the agreement and therefore defaulted the account at which point the whole amount becomes due. All their refund does is reduce the balance due.

Basically you need to make an arrangement to restart the payments to them or they will more than likely sell the account to debt collectors to chase up or possible take you to court for a CCJ.

TBH unless its a large amount they rarely take court action these days, but its always a possibility.

Debt collectors have little powers and even if they come to your door you can tell them to hop it, BUT again they can pursue court action if the figure outstanding is enough to make it their while and if they have a phone number for you will harass you day and night with calls.

May be best to try to make an arrangement to pay the bank what you can afford each month to at least stop further action.

Unfortunately the refund didn't clear the balance, so you still owe the rest and aren't currently making payments so they are within their rights to pursue the balance.

Don't think I am a bank supporter or defender btw, but unfortunately with the t &c's they get us all over a barrel tbh.

Have you ever told the bank you have lost your job, or tried to make some kind of arrangement with them? Some banks are rubbish at this, some seem to be much better.

Good Luck whatever happens
    Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• auntmay
    Options
    "Even had you given them an extra £3k from savings (so a partial early settlement) you'd still have to pay next month, you couldn't just go "Sorry I was paying you the next 10 payments in advance". "

If a large sum is not counted as making several payments in advance, and you still have to pay next month and keep to the payment schedule thereafter, that would mean by the end of the schedule you would have overpaid by a large sum.
  • jellie
    jellie Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    auntmay wrote: »
    If a large sum is not counted as making several payments in advance, and you still have to pay next month and keep to the payment schedule thereafter, that would mean by the end of the schedule you would have overpaid by a large sum.

No it won't, you'll just finish paying the loan sooner.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No, the loan would be paid off earlier so the term would end earlier
  • auntmay
    Options
    I'm not understanding this. Some are saying you have to carry on paying as you agreed which would mean the agreed monthly repayments for the agreed length of time, which would put me a few hundred pounds in credit, and now some are saying you don't have to stick to the repayment schedule.

Paying the loan off early has to be requested by me and agreed by the bank. I am happy with the repayment schedule and never requested an early settlement. Can one be forced on me?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You didn't stick to the repayment schedule so they are asking for repayment of the debt.

If you had stuck to the schedule AND made an overpayment, your term would have finished earlier. You wouldn't have needed to request it.

But given you failed to keep up with payments, it's all academic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport