Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 29th Apr 16, 8:38 AM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:38 AM
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:38 AM
    They really are trying hard to drive all calls to either VOIP or mobile providers - nearly 1 for a short call is outrageous!!
    • daleski75
    • By daleski75 29th Apr 16, 8:52 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    daleski75
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:52 AM
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:52 AM
    I hope everyone leaves BT and they think twice before increasing prices so much year on year.

But I know this won't ever happen and people will blindly pay without even knowing it's gone up.
    • jaydeeuk1
    • By jaydeeuk1 29th Apr 16, 8:53 AM
    • 7,454 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    jaydeeuk1
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:53 AM
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:53 AM
    Didn't go for the sky deal yesterday even though I got the code (should be moving house in next 3 or 4 weeks) and have 6 months or so of my BT phone, broadband and TV contract left.

First world problems, eh?
    • jaydeeuk1
    • By jaydeeuk1 29th Apr 16, 8:59 AM
    • 7,454 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    jaydeeuk1
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:59 AM
    • 29th Apr 16, 8:59 AM
    Also if/when we decide to leave, do we have to ring their foreign call centre or can it be done by post?
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 29th Apr 16, 9:01 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 29th Apr 16, 9:01 AM
    My outgoing calls use the EE line, which has Anytime and Mobile calls. Up to 60 minutes per call as usual, but I also get 1,000 minutes to UK mobiles. The 1,000 minutes overseas is a bit limited in the countries you can call.

The BT line is the number I give out, for people to call me. The problem is, some people screen calls, so when they get a call from my EE line, they don't pick up.
    • daleski75
    • By daleski75 29th Apr 16, 9:01 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    daleski75
    Also if/when we decide to leave, do we have to ring their foreign call centre or can it be done by post?
    Originally posted by jaydeeuk1
    When I left BT I had to do it all by phone and it took about a week of constant phone calls to get it done (they kept on stating I could not leave penalty free etc)

Moved to Pulse8 Broadband and could not be happier, cheaper than BT and the best bit is I am on a 30 day contract!
    • razord
    • By razord 29th Apr 16, 9:39 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    razord
    • 29th Apr 16, 9:39 AM
    • 29th Apr 16, 9:39 AM
    Ugh. Literally agreed a new 12 month contract with them on the 4th april, and now it's going up 3.50 a month. (~10%)

The press release says a "free speed upgrade for all broadband customers" - but that's surely not possible for Infinity 2 customers, who are hardest hit in this upgrade (2.50 a month rise on broadband alone)
    • aurichie
    • By aurichie 29th Apr 16, 9:50 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    aurichie
    • 29th Apr 16, 9:50 AM
    • 29th Apr 16, 9:50 AM
    That's a hell of a lot of price rises across the board. Rental, calls packages, call connection charges, call charges, and broadband all going up (some by as much as 15%).

If you don't watch BT Sport you're definitely helping still contributing to paying for the bidding war with Sky. Ironically one of the smallest price increases is for BT Sport. BT have decided it's better if all their customers pay for the sports rights.
    • daleski75
    • By daleski75 29th Apr 16, 10:11 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    daleski75
    That's a hell of a lot of price rises across the board. Rental, calls packages, call connection charges, call charges, and broadband all going up (some by as much as 15%).

If you don't watch BT Sport you're definitely helping still contributing to paying for the bidding war with Sky. Ironically one of the smallest price increases is for BT Sport. BT have decided it's better if all their customers pay for the sports rights.
    Originally posted by aurichie
    At least everyone can get out penalty free it's just an absolute ball ache doing so though.
    • dave76
    • By dave76 29th Apr 16, 10:25 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    dave76
    I paid my line rental saver 15 days ago - I assume there is no way to get that back now though so effectively no way out of the hikes??
    • daleski75
    • By daleski75 29th Apr 16, 10:27 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    daleski75
    I paid my line rental saver 15 days ago - I assume there is no way to get that back now though so effectively no way out of the hikes??
    Originally posted by dave76
    Is my Line Rental Saver payment refundable?

No, unless you change your mind about wanting Line Rental Saver within 14 working days of paying. Or in exceptional circumstances such as a bereavement, or if you switch to BT Basic, Home Phone Saver or Line Rental Plus.
    • Birdman2015
    • By Birdman2015 29th Apr 16, 11:31 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Birdman2015
    These constant rises are just beyond a joke now. If they were every 12 months you could *almost* bear it but 3 times in 20 months is taking the mickey.

I will certainly be leaving as soon as I receive the notification.
    • Eclipser
    • By Eclipser 29th Apr 16, 11:56 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Eclipser
    Is it not time that a Super Complaint was made by Which or some other consumer group about the increasing cost of Line Rental
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 29th Apr 16, 12:13 PM
    • 12,529 Posts
    • 5,644 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    [QUOTE=aurichie;70587269]

If you don't watch BT Sport you're definitely helping still contributing to paying for the bidding war with Sky.

In that case you would expect the ones that do not have this payment to whatever sports bodies to be a lot cheaper .
    So all bar Sky and BT would be significantly cheaper .
    • ChiefGrasscutter
    • By ChiefGrasscutter 29th Apr 16, 12:56 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    ChiefGrasscutter
    These constant rises are just beyond a joke now. If they were every 12 months you could *almost* bear it but 3 times in 20 months is taking the mickey.
    Originally posted by Birdman2015
    Well it is certainly a joke the ever increasing amount of data being conusmed by households and all being paid at a flat rate regardless of the amount downloaded.

So which would you prefer:
    1. You pay as per other utilities - ie the more you use the more you pay
    2. We ALL have to pay more for our unmetered connections and in effect the lighter user is subsidizing those households who are using gargantuan amounts of data.

As to line rental - well we all seemingly want faster speeds, we all want more rapid fixes of faults, we want replacement of outdated infrastructure, we all want a better service - all this does have to be paid for you know.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 29th Apr 16, 1:02 PM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    My minimum term is up in May, I was thinking of leaving, it's pretty certain I will now.
    • marleyboy
    • By marleyboy 29th Apr 16, 1:11 PM
    • 14,803 Posts
    • 28,739 Thanks
    marleyboy
    well we all seemingly want faster speeds, we all want more rapid fixes of faults, we want replacement of outdated infrastructure, we all want a better service - all this does have to be paid for you know.
    All fair and well if that's what we get. I got rid of BTTV without paying any termination fee as a result of them thinking they could tie me to a contract and constantly up the fee on it. I cant wait to get rid of the LL we never use and ultimately the horrendous BT Infinity, that constantly gets SLOWER.

Incidently, the reason the majority of BT customers find their data being eaten, is down to BT's own TV deal, which demands the internet to stream the channels a customer is already paying through the eyeballs to watch.
    1+1+1=1
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 29th Apr 16, 2:25 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    According to MSE the cost of Unlimited Infinity 1 BB will be going up from 23 to 26.
    Last edited by stockton; 06-09-2017 at 1:06 PM.
    • wilfy101
    • By wilfy101 29th Apr 16, 4:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wilfy101
    Well it is certainly a joke the ever increasing amount of data being conusmed by households and all being paid at a flat rate regardless of the amount downloaded.

So which would you prefer:
    1. You pay as per other utilities - ie the more you use the more you pay
    2. We ALL have to pay more for our unmetered connections and in effect the lighter user is subsidizing those households who are using gargantuan amounts of data.

As to line rental - well we all seemingly want faster speeds, we all want more rapid fixes of faults, we want replacement of outdated infrastructure, we all want a better service - all this does have to be paid for you know.
    Originally posted by ChiefGrasscutter
    But paying more to BT Retail for line rental doesn't have any impact on the amount spent on infrastructure at all. They're still paying the same amount to Openreach for the wholesale line rental that they paid this time last year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6Posts Today

4,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin